Motor Home vs Travel Trailer vs Motel

Notices

Motor Home vs Travel Trailer vs Motel

Old 10-23-2019, 11:47 AM
andydallas
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Home vs Travel Trailer vs Motel

Do people that go to many contest a year see any benefit of a motor home/travel trailer vs a van and staying at a motel?

Years ago I traveled around drag racing, you quickly learned life was much easier if you had a decent place to stay at the track instead of back and forth to the nearest motel (and putting everything up every night.

I doubt it makes economic sense, but what do people prefer, and do you think a travel trailer or motor home is preferable?
Old 10-23-2019, 04:09 PM
big_G

Originally Posted by andydallas View Post
Do people that go to many contest a year see any benefit of a motor home/travel trailer vs a van and staying at a motel?

Years ago I traveled around drag racing, you quickly learned life was much easier if you had a decent place to stay at the track instead of back and forth to the nearest motel (and putting everything up every night.

I doubt it makes economic sense, but what do people prefer, and do you think a travel trailer or motor home is preferable?
I have a 23 foot rv, cozy but has everything I could ask for. Financially, Hotels are much less expensive, but when the hotel is 20-30miles from the contest, it's great to have an rv on site. I thought about a motor home, but feel that the rv will be less expesive to operate and require much less maintenance. That being said, if the contest is more that 5 or 6 hours away, I'll do the hotel thing. Too much time and fuel usage makes the hotel a no brainer, at least for me.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:58 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dry camping for free
Years ago tenting was no problem the family spent most of our time wilderness tripping before we decided to go with some sort of RV. Our first was a truck camper, next was a trailer then a fifth wheel and finally we tried a class C motor home. I like to take my toys with me when we go so it was important to have the ability to do so yet I wanted all the comforts of home like a fridge, bathroom including shower. I do not care for motel/hotel rooms you sleep in a bed used by how many before you. There are lots of reports of bedbugs even in the better establishments. You depend on the staff to properly clean before you use the room and there are lots of reports of disgruntled staff doing some not so nice things when cleaning. Last one I saw was a cleaning person using the toilet as the cleaning water for the whole bathroom, sink, mirror, bathtub and floor. No thanks. I know my own place will be kept to my level of cleanliness and comfort.

This is our setup at a flying field camper, trailer and canoe

Inside of the camper

Inside of the trailer

The trailer had limited storage but I could use the tow vehicle to carry a limited number of toys. The fifth wheel took up most of the truck bed but had no more room than the trailer for on board storage. The class C motor home seemed to be the best option as I could tow an enclosed trailer with all my toys. However after the first few times it became obvious that if the wife or I wanted to do something else everyone would have to tag along. Remember I am towing the toys not a second vehicle.

Back to the truck camper. Now there is only the wife and I so we don’t need a lot of space as we spend most of our time in the outdoors. The newer campers come with slide outs, full bathroom including shower, hot and cold water, full size fridge with freezer, queen size bed, microwave, forced air heat, air conditioning, three burner stove and oven, everything you would expect in any modern RV. The advantages that work for us is its small footprint sitting on an F250 Superduty the 4 wheel drive gets us down any trail/road a pickup can traverse. A generator and solar panels make dry camping a non issue. Best thing is I can put the camper on the ground separated from the truck in less than a half hour with the electric jacking system. Now the wife has use of the truck to sight see/shop while I still have the trailer and toys as well as a comfortable place to lie down and catch a few ZZZ’s if I feel like it. To hot I fire up the generator and turn on the air. There is even a cool brewsky in the fridge for myself and a few friends. So far the truck camper has done it all for us.

The trailer we tow has all the toys, bikes, airplanes of course, generator, compressor, sound system, canoe on the roof and 2.5 motor in the trailer as well as all the fishing gear we need.

We just spent the month of July in Newfoundland and 90% of our camping was free. We just pulled off the road and set up camp. We were also invited to camp at the flying fields we visited.

The last trip was 2 weeks ago we intended to travel north Ontario in Canada but the prediction was for 6 days of rain. Last minute we changed out mind and headed down to the Smoky Mountains and the Blue Mountain Parkway. The only changes we had to make were the clothing we took for the weather. You cannot change your mind as easily when you depend on reserving rooms at a motel.

I am 68 years old and as long as the wife and I can climb up into the bed I don’t see us using any other type of accommodation/or travel.

Last edited by Propworn; 10-24-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:01 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I drive a full size SUV ( GMC Denali XL ), I can easily fit a couple 2 meter pattern airplanes and all support equipment plus suitcase. My fuel costs are much less then what a motorhome would be plus I am able to get to and from the contests a little faster. I prefer the hotel as it's not only better economically but flying the second day of the event after a nice hot shower and complimentary breakfast makes the whole weekend a bit more enjoyable. You are also not stuck at the field or have to bum a ride if a group wants to head out to a nice restaurant for dinner on Saturday night which happens frequently in my district.

I can see where staying at the track for drag racing would be a benifit as you are wrenching on the car a fair amount of time but that is not the case with pattern, done correctly there is not much more to do to your airplane then charging/changing batteries.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:19 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With the truck camper either on or off the truck I have no problem attending any off sight events like a dinner or visit to someones house. Breakfast is what I make it not some bagels and coffee. Often times I have a crock pot plugged in and lunch at the field is sitting and enjoying a bowl of soup or chili with a nice big home made sandwich, desert maybe even an ice cream or something cold. Cost included. Tired and need a nap crawl in the camper. Raining or windy hey I can sit in the camper till it passes. Hot shower any time I want. No having to use an over used full porta potty nice flush toilet in an air conditioned camper. My trailer has a work bench, lighting, heat and 110 volts. There is not much I cannot do as if I was at home in the shop. Since I started dry camping I have never looked back at staying in a hotel/motel. Reservations are almost non existent especially at most flying fields and I have found very few times I haven't been able to boondock for free. I don't have to be somewhere at a particular time to claim my reservation, if I like where I'm at I can choose to stay no need to worry about having a reservation for any additional days. Don't like the place I can move on without any penalty for canceling my reservation. For me the pluses just outweigh motel/hotel rooms.

Boon Docking beside the road great view cost nothing.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 10-24-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:33 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Benifits to both, looks like the decision would be based on the needs of the specific person. Having property to store the RV/Travel trailer would play a part as well as opposed to paying storage fees. It is nice when my wife is able to socialize with another wife in the comfort of an RV while at a contest.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:30 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

We travel to jet events with our 5th wheel - the jets are hauled inside the trailer.

Some say hotel/motel is cheaper but if I wasn’t carrying the 5th wheel, I’d be towing a trailer so from a gas burn point of view I’d say the increase in gas cost is maybe 20%.

For us, it’s changed the hobby, before we had a trailer, I allways went alone. Now that we have our “second home” with us my wife looks forward to coming and staying at the field and has made life long friends of her own.

The trailer cost is not insignificant but we also use it a lot for our own holidays. Lots of long weekends away plus lots of trips. Once we retire we intend to spend 3-6 months per year in our RV and will be able to go further afield to attend events. My one wish is for more storage so when we travel I don’t need to have airplanes in the RV.

the ultimate rig I’ve seen is a 40’ diesel pusher bus towing a 30’ trailer with a ramp in the back to store a vehicle and a large side door to store airplanes. Of course now you’re talking 4-500k of rig....

PaulD