Notices
Product Announcements & Manufacturer News If you are a manufacturer or company with relevant news or have a new product announcement you may post it here.

Prop jet project for 2004

Old 12-13-2003, 01:27 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Prop jet project for 2004

I went through and carefully read the first two posts of this thread again about three or four times. I have to say I stand by what I wrote and here’s why:

While I agree that anyone should be able to post on this site whatever they want, when I posted that the isobar was coming out last year and that short kits would be available, within three hours my thread was moved to the product announcement forum.

When I read “If it works as expected, I'll make some "short kits" (molded fuselage, canopy, hatch, and foam cores) available for summer of 2004” I took this statement for how it was written, an advertisement.

My expectations in this forum have become over time that this is a place to bring people with the same interests together in specific forums.

I didn’t read the first post as a post related to here’s my design, how can I make it better, I didn’t read it as a hey guys, this is my latest project, since y’all are my friends I wanted to show it to you. Hell, I even did a search and saw that there was already another thread by the same guy with the same topic, same promises, and such in the speed prop jet forum on RCU (which is a far more likely place to have a conversation about a propjet).

Considering that, what I saw was a guy trying to sell me something, that I didn’t ask to be sold on.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, that’s what I saw.

But instead of outright blasting the guy, I complimented him on his pictures (TWICE).

Instead of blasting him I offered my opinion on his speed claims, based on my experience. Apparently some here agree with my opinion and others don’t (on the speed claims). So what.

I didn’t say his design would not appeal to the masses, I simply asked the man what he was hoping to achieve by posting in the Jet Forum. If you read his first post, I think you’ll agree that what he’s hoping to accomplish with the post is unclear, and to be honest, I’m still curious. Is it that he needs help with the slats? Help with the design? Just wanted to show off? Doesn’t matter to me, I just wanted to know.

I then suggested to the man that since he’s already posted this in the jets forum, that if he was going to go through all the work with a mold, hell that’s 90% of the work to make the model to where it could be built both ways. But do your homework if you choose to go the turbine route.

Then I complimented the man AGAIN, and asked him where I was wrong (for clarification)

I never edited the post, I never wavered from what I meant.

Guys, I don’t know this man Mike from anyone, could be the best mold maker in the world, but in the jets forum (not country club elitist) you come to this forum for a reason. You go to the giant scale forum for a reason. We all have friends in this forum, you might have different friends in other forums.

The man answered my question, he simply wanted to share his ideas here. I don’t have a problem with that, I just could not decipher that from his first post, and I’ll bet you can’t either. So I asked.

Maybe I could have written it differently, so what. Maybe this response could have been written differently. So what.

And seriously, what about that first post is supposed to appeal to the people in the jets forum. It’s a valid question considering that the man says kits will be available. How are we (not even we, how am I) a target market for that kit?

While I really like the “Chill out” picture, I’d have to say dean said it best when he said:

After going back and carefully re-reading Shaun's [Sean’s] post I think he ment [meant] it to be more constructive than we are giving him credit for. It's just another example of "If you didn't listen so hard to what I said you would have understood what I ment". Lets give him a break!

It’s late here and I have to fly in the morning. Those that know me would certainly indicate that I mean no ill will for anyone in this hobby except for one person. And those that really know me well, know who that person is. Other than that, I’ll leave you all to make of it what you will, have a great weekend.

Sean
Old 12-13-2003, 04:32 AM
neo

I just wonder what program you use to make the 3d models.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:35 AM
Mike James

I use "Carrara Studio 3" from Eovia. ( http://www.eovia.com )

I've been using it, in it's earlier forms, for about 10 years, so I can work very fast with it. It's not the program you want, if you're looking to produce vector cross-sections for CNC work, or DWG-type plans, but for designing and visualizing, it's my favorite tool. I do 3-views using an "isometric" camera, have them printed locally to actual size, then trace them onto vellum to make the actual plans. (And, as you can see, the renderer is good. The images I post here on RCU are typically JPEGS at 10% compression.)

I'm a Mac user (OS X "Panther" ) but the program is available for PC too. There's a ton of this imagery on my web site, along with some specific examples of how you can use it for design work.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Mike James

The "Eliminator 2" plugs are coming along nicely. This weekend, I got the wing and stab tubes and sockets all aligned with their fuselage-blending root ribs, and so now I can close up the fuselage sides and complete the shape. In the photo, I've just taped all the parts to the fuselage plug, to give you an idea of what it's looking like. I'm pretty happy so far.

More info at http://www.nextcraft.com/j47_sportjet01.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74920.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	174917  
Old 10-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Mike James

The shape is correct now, and we're down to the final finishing stages, prior to mold making. Here's a photo.

The article will remain at http://www.nextcraft.com/j47_sportjet01.html

Name:	Yw68105.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	178804  
Old 10-02-2004, 11:22 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great Mike! A life of sanding is paying off.
Paul
Old 10-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Mike James

Thank you Paul. (Major update on the King Air coming soon, too.)

Here's one from yesterday, (10-14-04) showing the plugs after some wet sanding. By the way, we've decided to mold the entire aircraft, so this will be primed and ready for equipment installation and paint when you open the box.

Name:	Mk27372.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	183012  
Old 10-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Gordito Volador
My Feedback: (1)

Mike,

I visited your website for the first time today, very impressive. I will surely be following the progress of the Eliminator 2. My hat is off to you!

Regards, Bill
Old 10-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Mike James

Thanks a lot, Bill!

The final finish is close, but not ready for molding yet. It won't be long, though. We expect to be flying the prototype in the next 60 days, and have kits available soon after that. (and the King Air B200 will follow shortly) We're hoping to make our first big public display of a few of these models at Toledo 2005.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:39 AM
tomcatman
My Feedback: (2)

[quote]ORIGINAL: A10FLYR

Holy cow Shaun, what gives? That sure doesn't seem like the same person who has been posting on RCU.

Personally, I have to disagree here. I get the impression that Sean was either bullied in school or he WAS the school bully. I, for one, have been paying close attention to his responses within other RCU member's threads and one thing is for sure. He virtually always feels the need to "MINIMIZE" what everyone else is trying to accomplish, he's done that with me too. Sean, if you're angry at what RCU has done with some of YOUR threads in the past, take it up with the moderators, not with us. There's not that fine of a line between constructive criticism and just being outright rude which is what you're doing. I know Sean will come back with some rebutal to this and that's ok, he's entitled to his OPINION and that's the whole point behind the use of this website. I have made the mistake in the past of doing the back and forth thing with him, but no more, not worth it. I'm just glad that it's obvious that i'm not the only one that feels Seans input to this thread was just plain wrong. Try being a part of the solution, not the problem. You go Mike!!!! I further encourage all others with ideas to come forth and be heard so we can ALL continue to learn from this hobby and make this hobby better with each new thread. I'm just tired of seeing so many good people and their efforts getting stepped on by people like Sean, and unfortunately, he's not the only one. YES, YOU ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!
Stop hating and start appreciating.....

Love to all, yes ALL. I hold no grudges.

Richie
Old 10-15-2004, 12:19 PM
erbroens

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Eliminator is a very modern-looking design, but best of all in my point of view, is that you
can make a lot of different cool looking models using that fuselage! congrats and good luck
in your test flights.

Rgds, Enrique
Old 10-15-2004, 12:39 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Richie, no offense taken at all.

My original post was half a year ago or more, I never edited it and I think it still holds accurate with what I knew at the time. What I didn't know was that Mike was a well accomplished plug and mold man. Clearly after reading all the posts here, there is much to learn from this guy. None of which you could figure out from the first post. And moreover, this thread should not even be allowed to continue cause it's clear violation of RCU advertising products rules in RCU threads. The guy has said this is going to be kitted. Threads have been closed here for far less.

As far as you and I scrapping in the past, sorry guy, but I have no idea who you are or what was debated. If you care to remind me, I don't have a problem with that. If you read my previous posts, you'll see that I've been very open about the fact that unless I've met you personally and know your name when I see you, the chances of me remembering you in this forum is essentially zero.

So, what you decide to do with that is up to you.

In the mean time, my former comments aside, that plug is beautiful. I'm jealous of not knowing how to do that yet.

Sean
Old 10-15-2004, 07:53 PM
Topgun2mo
My Feedback: (45)

Great job Mike.....looks like it might be a good candidate for an MW44 or possibly a 12 lbder!
Old 10-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Topgun2mo
My Feedback: (45)

As far as RCU rules...... they get stretched here and I don't find them at all equitable. How much of a product anouncement did we get on Tams new F-18 and the new skymaster jets?????

What i would like to see is the Manufacturers being able to report on product development as long as it is in the development stage and not available to the general public. Once it is offered for sale then the RCU rules would apply.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:59 PM
Mike James

Just so everyone knows my position here...

I wish to continue to participate on RCU. It's a great resource for me, and I also feel that I'm able to help others, and thus make more friends, by doing so. Therefore, I will always abide by RCU administrative decisions. I have always assumed that, as Topgun2mo has said, that until the product was actually for sale, the kind of updates I've been posting are ok. And, I've said before, that if any RCU administrator thinks my posts are out of line, they can let me know and/or remove them.

My web site has always been free and non-commercial, and still is at this time, although we're gearing up to begin making sales in early 2005. If the decision of RCU is that once a product is on sale, that further posts such as mine are "against the rules", then I'll go with that of course.

We hope to make some money on kit sales, so we can continue with other projects. We've certainly spent a lot of money and time getting to this point. (!) But the real motivation for me is the simple pleasure that comes from doing something creative, proving that it works (or doesn't work) and seeing how other people react to it. Like playing jazz (my other love... I'm a drummer.) it's exciting to do something different, especially when it's accepted by a reasonable portion of the public. If money was the motivation, we'd be making 3D airplanes.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:27 AM
trumpetjet
My Feedback: (12)

Like playing jazz (my other love... I'm a drummer.)
Ahh, there's another musician here.......thank god.

Nathan
Old 10-16-2004, 12:13 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Put the drums away, and get this aircraft finished !!!!
Old 10-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Mike James

I'm on it! Just finished wet-sanding it for about 7 hours today...

Name:	Qo40377.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	183412  
Old 10-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Mike James

Here are some updates:

Photos show the "kit" of plugs for other parts, and a photo of the wings.

For those of you attending, we'll be at the jet meet at Triple Tree (the "Joe Nall Fly-In" field) this Friday, and will have these parts with us, if any of you want to have a look. See you there, maybe. ( http://www.joenall.com/ )

Name:	Ge95409.jpg
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	184569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65977.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	184570  
Old 10-20-2004, 02:33 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry Mike,
Can't make it...but the plugs are looking good.
paul
Old 10-21-2004, 04:40 PM
Mike James

Thanks, Paul!

Correction... We've decided to go to the meet on Saturday. (not Friday)
Old 10-21-2004, 05:08 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How you doing Mike?

F-16 meets F-35, what a beautiful concept. Plus the nose of a Raptor.

You keep impressing me all the time Mike. Keep it up.

How are the leading edge flaps coming about? Tough isn't it.?
Later,

David
Old 10-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Mike James

Thank you, David !

The leading edge flaps...

Using information learned from Larry Wolfe's article, but changing the approach slightly. I'm molding a tapered circular shape, which will become the sub leading edge, on which the leading edge flap will rotate. I'll be adding this to the construction article as I go. Right now, I'm just cleaning up all the plugs, spraying some primer, etc., to have them presentable for Triple Tree.

When we get back, it's a little final finishing, then on to the mold making. That's when I'll add all the leading edge flap stuff to the article. The molded piece will make all the fabrication normally required, such as sanding the sub leading edge, unnecessary.

Can't wait to test fly this baby.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:36 PM
Mike James

Here are today's updates...

We'll have these plugs at the Triple Tree Jet Invitational tomorrow, if you want to have a look.
See you there!

PS> During the plug building phase, wing area was increased to 960 sq. in. (projected to the aircraft centerline)

That means that you could build it to 12 pounds, and still have only a 28 oz./sq. ft. wing loading. Actually, we think it can be built at about 10 pounds, (depending on options) since we've decided to mold everything, including the flying surfaces. After flying it in the conventional mode, we'll be flight testing it with stabiliators only. If that works, then that would be the lightest version.

Name:	Mj24258.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	185494   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45500.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	185495  
Old 11-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Mike James

We're making molds!

As of 11-04-04, we've got the stabiliator mold, vertical fin/dorsal mold, NACA inlet mold, and canopy mold done. ( images attached ) Fuselage mold is next, and should be done within the next week or so. Everything is going well...No problems, and we can't wait to get this baby in the air. ( http://www.nextcraft.com/j47_sportjet01.html )

Excuse the sloppy appearance in these photos. The plugs were just pulled, and they still need to be more neatly trimmed, and all the wax and PVA cleaned off. We'll clean 'em up tomorrow.

Name:	Rp42913.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	189953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16136.jpg
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	189954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45622.jpg
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	189955  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.