Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

landing gear for profile, fiberglas or?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

landing gear for profile, fiberglas or?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:43 AM
idivein
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default landing gear for profile, fiberglas or?

anybody know where to buy landing gear for profile. fiberglas, graphite or plastic? i had old gear i like but can't find them. thanks
steve
Old 06-07-2012, 07:47 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: landing gear for profile, fiberglas or?

http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/tetherite/
Old 06-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Ernie Misner

Try Aeroworks for carbon gear. It will be lighter than the Tetherites. The Tetherites work good but they are so darn tall for some reason that the plane wants to tip over real easy in a cross wind.

Graph Tech RC makes nice carbon gear but I'm not sure if they have any profile gear or now.

For what size plane? Goldberg made nice 40 size profile gear that was nylon type and really nice. They aren't made any more but some shops still have a set.

Ernie Misner
Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 PM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

If you want something that gives instead of breaking the gear or fuse, then wire gear can't be beat.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:51 AM
idivein
My Feedback: (28)

do you have pictures or a drawing how wire gear would work? does anyone mfg. wire gear for profile? thanks steve
Old 08-08-2012, 04:54 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is what I do. It is springy and doesn't break.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84424.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1790242  
Old 02-09-2015, 07:22 AM
sailr
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the tetherite gear on my 20cc profile. It is so flexible it is rediculous. The plane wobbles from side to side on takeoff making them unpredictable. It is better than aluminum because it flexes rather than bends but it is totally unacceptable in performance. I would prefer a carbon fiber gear but they are almost impossible to find. Yes, Graph Tec makes carbon gear but nothing for profiles. HELP!
Old 02-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Ernie Misner

If you go to the Aeroworks web page, they have carbon fiber grear for their profile planes, including the 20cc size one. What plane do you have and how is it doing..... what engine? Best of luck and keep us posted. You could just get the aluminum replacement gear from any number of 20cc profiles. Also - important...... a bit of toe in will take the wobble out of most flexible gear. You can put a bend in the axles before installing them using a vise and hammer or shim where they bolt on to the fuse. This makes all the difference in the world.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:43 PM
sailr

Thanks. I guess the one they have for their .60-.90 profile would be the right one? I bought my profile second hand. I think the guy said it was an aerobeez. Haven't flown it yet. The tetherite gear is so wobbly and twisty that I believe tow in would make it worse! I always use tow-in on my airplanes but this gear is rediculously loosey goosey. Not sure how they can sell 'em. The previous owner of the airplane put the tetherite on because he was tired of bending the aluminum gear on every landing. He is an IMAC champion so I'm pretty sure he knows how to land!

Last edited by sailr; 02-09-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:50 PM
sailr

[QUOTE=Ernie Misner;11979850]If you go to the Aeroworks web page, they have carbon fiber grear for their profile planes, including the 20cc size one. What plane do you have and how is it doing..... what engine? Best of luck and keep us posted. You could just get the aluminum replacement gear from any number of 20cc profiles. Also - important...... a bit of toe in will take the wobble out of most flexible gear. You can put a bend in the axles before installing them using a vise and hammer or shim where they bolt on to the fuse. This makes all the difference in the world.[/QUOTE

I found the gear on the aeroworks site and it also said FREE SHIPPING. Cool, I thought, during the process of purchasing the gear I noticed they tacked on a '
handling fee'. That practice ended a long time ago for most vendors as it irritated the hell out of their customers. Well, to make the story short, it pissed me off enough that I cancelled the purchase.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

Go to Redwing RC
click on aircraft
click on aircraft replacement parts at bottom of window
click on 20cc
you will find carbon fiber replacement gear for 20cc profile planes

Indiomike
Old 02-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

Here is something I'm experimenting with. Since the aluminum gear bends so easily on this type of plane, I have made a doubler for each leg. I got a piece of 1/8th inch thick, one inch wide aluminum stock from Home Depot. I cut two pieces about 5 inches long, one for each leg. I attached each piece with a bolt and nut at each end. That stiffens up the gear quite a bit. The doublers are centered midway on each leg. Drill through the doubler and leg near each end of the doubler and secure with the nuts and bolts.

I haven't tested this yet but don't see why it won't make the gear sturdier and only adds 3 or 4 ounces to the weight of the plane. Also that piece of stock I got at Home Depot is just about 36 inches long so you can make a complete replacement gear set from it. Just cut it to length, make bends to match the original gear legs, and drill holes that match the originals. Easy to do.

Indiomike