Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

AK Models Simple Flier

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

AK Models Simple Flier

Old 10-11-2015, 06:46 PM
  #26  
cckc135r
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Last in 2006....I'm ready to start covering this hotrod and hope some folks are still flying them. The build has been great with several of my own deviations from the plans.....still looking to see if anyone has any video of it flying and if the prescribed CG is right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
UAVC (03-26-2022)
Old 10-12-2015, 06:21 PM
  #27  
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)
 
thebluemax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mullica Hill, NJ
Posts: 746
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cckc135r
Last in 2006....I'm ready to start covering this hotrod and hope some folks are still flying them. The build has been great with several of my own deviations from the plans.....still looking to see if anyone has any video of it flying and if the prescribed CG is right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I just finished covering mine a few weeks ago. The hardest part to cover is the trailing edges of the ailerons and flaps. If I had to do it over again I would have somehow put a strip of balsa as trailing edge sheeting to give the covering a nice flat surface to grab on to. The rest wasn't too bad.

No video or maiden yet. Not sure when that will be. You might want to balance it before covering it, in case you need to add any weight. It would be easier to do before covering. Especially to lateral balance it. I ended up adding a lot of weight but it was my own fault because of the way I had to install the battery pack and radio gear. I also had to add a servo for the nose gear as it kept turning the opposite way from the rudder no matter how I routed the cable. My battery and nose gear servo would not fit in the fuel compartment unless I put a real small tank in there. I have an Enya 45CX in the nose so that was not an option. Pictures of mine while waiting for a new spinner.

Good luck with covering.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	flyer-1a.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	2125106   Click image for larger version

Name:	flyer-3a.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	2125107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flyer-2a.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	2125108   Click image for larger version

Name:	flyer-4a.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	2125109  

Last edited by thebluemax; 10-12-2015 at 06:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
UAVC (03-26-2022)
Old 10-13-2015, 12:53 AM
  #28  
cckc135r
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by thebluemax
I just finished covering mine a few weeks ago. The hardest part to cover is the trailing edges of the ailerons and flaps. If I had to do it over again I would have somehow put a strip of balsa as trailing edge sheeting to give the covering a nice flat surface to grab on to. The rest wasn't too bad.

No video or maiden yet. Not sure when that will be. You might want to balance it before covering it, in case you need to add any weight. It would be easier to do before covering. Especially to lateral balance it. I ended up adding a lot of weight but it was my own fault because of the way I had to install the battery pack and radio gear. I also had to add a servo for the nose gear as it kept turning the opposite way from the rudder no matter how I routed the cable. My battery and nose gear servo would not fit in the fuel compartment unless I put a real small tank in there. I have an Enya 45CX in the nose so that was not an option. Pictures of mine while waiting for a new spinner.

Good luck with covering.
Looks good, did you follow the instruction supplied CG point? I've heard some folks say it's too far forward or seems that way at least. I'm using the V-tail mixer so I don't have to add an additional servo for steering and I have also put aileron servos in each wing. The throttle servo is a micro and I'm powering flaps with 2 Hitec HS-65HB's.

Currently working on filling the dents and dings then hopefully cover soon.
The following users liked this post:
UAVC (03-26-2022)
Old 10-13-2015, 05:50 AM
  #29  
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)
 
thebluemax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mullica Hill, NJ
Posts: 746
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cckc135r
Looks good, did you follow the instruction supplied CG point? I've heard some folks say it's too far forward or seems that way at least. I'm using the V-tail mixer so I don't have to add an additional servo for steering and I have also put aileron servos in each wing. The throttle servo is a micro and I'm powering flaps with 2 Hitec HS-65HB's.

Currently working on filling the dents and dings then hopefully cover soon.
I used the supplied cg point to balance. I think the way the wing is swept back and that it is a long way back to that big tail from the cg point that it may look too far forward but we shall see. My battery is mounted in the wing which is behind the cg and is why I needed the weight up front. I used the v-tail mix in my radio but I still needed the extra servo. I have 8 servos in the plane, 2-flaps, 2-ailerons, 1-throttle, 1-rudder, 1-elevator and the nose gear. They are all standard servos except for the one for the nose gear.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	set-up 1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	2125131   Click image for larger version

Name:	set-up 3.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	2125132   Click image for larger version

Name:	set-up 2.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	2125133  
The following users liked this post:
UAVC (03-26-2022)
Old 10-20-2015, 11:05 PM
  #30  
cckc135r
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by thebluemax
I used the supplied cg point to balance. I think the way the wing is swept back and that it is a long way back to that big tail from the cg point that it may look too far forward but we shall see. My battery is mounted in the wing which is behind the cg and is why I needed the weight up front. I used the v-tail mix in my radio but I still needed the extra servo. I have 8 servos in the plane, 2-flaps, 2-ailerons, 1-throttle, 1-rudder, 1-elevator and the nose gear. They are all standard servos except for the one for the nose gear.
The way I built my ailerons and flaps was one of the things I did differently. They are built similar to the wings in that they have ribs and have been completely sheeted for strength. I will have to get a picture and post it so you can see it. They add a few grams to the overall weight but I feel they are much stronger.

Again, I will get a picture and post them so you can see what I did. Sorry for the delays in my response

Last edited by cckc135r; 10-20-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:51 AM
  #31  
MsgtRob
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Rosamond, CA
Posts: 213
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Does anyone have the manual for this plane? Any news of a re-release on the kit? I'm kit bashing one with a set of long EZ wings .....should be interesting....
The following users liked this post:
UAVC (03-26-2022)
Old 01-05-2016, 08:57 AM
  #32  
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)
 
thebluemax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mullica Hill, NJ
Posts: 746
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MsgtRob
Does anyone have the manual for this plane? Any news of a re-release on the kit? I'm kit bashing one with a set of long EZ wings .....should be interesting....
Here is a copy of the manual. As far as I know there is nothing new on the Simple Flier. But then again I have not really been looking. Good luck with your bashing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AKM Simple Flier Manual.pdf (3.65 MB, 168 views)
The following users liked this post:
UAVC (03-26-2022)
Old 01-05-2016, 09:29 AM
  #33  
MsgtRob
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Rosamond, CA
Posts: 213
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SF Bahed

Thanks for the Manual !

Some progress...This wing configuration opens the fuselage and provides more space than needed for electronics...I'll use an Eflite Electric 60 size motor and a few other parts from the EZ (Landing gear and gear mount box)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160105_091712.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	4.75 MB
ID:	2139839   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160104_203534.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	4.18 MB
ID:	2139840  
Old 01-05-2016, 09:30 AM
  #34  
MsgtRob
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Rosamond, CA
Posts: 213
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SF Bashed

Thanks!

Some progress...This wing configuration opens the fuselage and provides more space than needed for electronics...I'll use an Eflite Electric 60 size motor and a few other parts from the EZ (Landing gear and gear mount box)
Old 01-05-2016, 09:43 AM
  #35  
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)
 
thebluemax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mullica Hill, NJ
Posts: 746
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MsgtRob
Thanks for the Manual !

Some progress...This wing configuration opens the fuselage and provides more space than needed for electronics...I'll use an Eflite Electric 60 size motor and a few other parts from the EZ (Landing gear and gear mount box)

Your welcome Sarge.... Build looks good.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:47 AM
  #36  
UAVC
 
UAVC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default construction plan

Originally Posted by thebluemax
Here is a copy of the manual. As far as I know there is nothing new on the Simple Flier. But then again I have not really been looking. Good luck with your bashing.
hello.
Do you have the construction plan for this plane?
I need it...
Old 03-26-2022, 07:57 AM
  #37  
UAVC
 
UAVC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Does anyone have the construction plan for this plane? help me...
I want to build this plane.
I know it has a beautiful flight, I like it very much.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:06 PM
  #38  
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)
 
thebluemax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mullica Hill, NJ
Posts: 746
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Hello,
I have to look but I don't think so.
The following users liked this post:
UAVC (03-26-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 09:42 PM
  #39  
UAVC
 
UAVC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hello,i downloaded the manual, I'm just waiting for the aircraft construction plan.
please. do your best.thanksssssssssssss
Old 03-28-2022, 05:44 AM
  #40  
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)
 
thebluemax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mullica Hill, NJ
Posts: 746
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

I looked and unfortunately, I do not have them. I must have included them in the other kit that I sold years ago. Sorry. Good luck finding a set.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:12 AM
  #41  
UAVC
 
UAVC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by thebluemax
I looked and unfortunately, I do not have them. I must have included them in the other kit that I sold years ago. Sorry. Good luck finding a set.
I was hoping to find it, I should search more.
Thank you for your time.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.