Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Yakety Yak status

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 12:38 AM
wheels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yakety Yak status

Any news on this kit?
Old 11-25-2003, 03:48 AM
tobytorkn
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Yakety Yak status

Dear Wheels,
Hello, I am the designer of the Yakety Yak. Jeff Williams is also the co-designer as well. As of this time we have decided not to kit the plane with morris hobbies and I will be kitting the plane myself. The plane will have laser cut parts and quality balsa throughout. As of right now, the prototype planes have approximately 200 flights on them and have proven themselves well. We have displayed the plane at several imac competitions in the north central imac region. we are looking to sell the kit in the $180-190 range. We have tested the plane with an os160, bme44, and moki 1.8. All of these engines are great 3d powerplants for the plane. As of this time I am wanting to have some people do some beta testing for me to tell me what they think. For SERIOUS inquires please email or call me at [email protected] or 1-937-764-1606. Please call between 5-8pm est. Thank you for your interest. Toby Silhavy.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:03 AM
lagCisco

wow a bme44, does this mean that something like a da50 wont be to excessive in power for the yak?
Old 11-25-2003, 06:20 AM
tobytorkn

dear lag, i don't have any experience with the da50 first hand. i have seen a couple in the imac competitions over the last year and they seem to be powerful and LIGHT engines. i don't think you would have a problem using this combo. now you have to remember using that much power you HAVE TO USE THROTTLE MANAGEMENT. but on the lighter side, you most likely have a 3:1 power to weight ratio. since the bme uses a beam mount there is no modification needed to mount the engine. using a da you would have to create a plate mount (kinda whats on a .049 control line plane) to mount the engine. i wouldn't think the modification would be that great though. hope that helps. toby....
Old 11-25-2003, 10:58 AM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Pictures?????

Pugs
Old 11-25-2003, 03:23 PM
3D DEAN

tobytorkn,
Is the fuse built up or foam?

How would you compare the Yakety Yak to the Giant OMP Edge 540?

What does beta testing entail?

Thanks,
Dean
Old 11-25-2003, 03:37 PM
3D DEAN

I would also like to ask if the wing has a center section like on the Aeroworks profile or a two piece wing with a tube like on the OMP Yak-54.

Thanks.
Dean
Old 11-25-2003, 08:09 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

3DDean, Toby and I did the Yak and it flies great. The fuse is built up balsa and has a unique wing attach assembly. There are two wing halves that have a single aluminum wing tube and bolts to the fuse, there is no center wing section permanently mounted to the fuse. I will not divulge more than that because it could be copied and I do not want that till we get a chance to kit it. Then I guess it is fair game. But the way the wing attaches is very strong and light. Our Yak compares to the OMP GS edge very favorably. I have flown both and both planes are very good. I elect not to say which is better because I have found that usually lies with the owner.
The kit will be all laser cut and expect quality, I want good quality kits and I believe that Toby can deliver it. That is why I decided to work with him on this project. I have another design that I am going to kit thru him also, and he has some himself. He wants to get a website going so be on the lookout for that.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:13 PM
tobytorkn

well guys here is a pic i hope. i'll post more pics later. toby....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27963.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	77518  
Old 11-25-2003, 11:53 PM
tobytorkn

some more pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76953.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	77560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73401.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	77561  
Old 11-26-2003, 03:32 PM
torkin300

I have first hand experience with the Yakety Yak because I am the guy in TorkinToby`s pics. I can assure you that the Yakety Yak is a great flying gian scale funfly. Its so stable in a hover that I have actually kissed the wing while flying it next to me.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Balsageek

how about another update? anyprogress?
Old 03-10-2004, 03:09 AM
tobytorkn

hey guys, just got back from the jr challenge. concerning the yak, looks like john at aerotech will be producing the kits. he should have the first runs done around the end of april. i have taken the yak to him in florida and we took notes on changes i wanted so we could make the ultimate funfly. i think you guys will like the price and the quality of the kit. do to time limitations in my personal life i didn't have time to make kits fast enough for the public and i think john will serve this job very well. we will also be releasing some other designs later this year. thanks guys. to reach john at aerotech his web address is www.aerotech-rcmodels.com and his phone number is 1-727-462-8090. thanks, toby....