Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Lazy Tiger P-51 ? Engine Rec./ Servo Rec. / Grass Landing?

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Lazy Tiger P-51 ? Engine Rec./ Servo Rec. / Grass Landing?

Old 05-10-2002, 03:01 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lazy Tiger P-51 ? Engine Rec./ Servo Rec. / Grass Landing?

I'M READY TO ORDER THE LAZY TIGER P-51 SO I WISH TO ASK A FEW ?'S. THIS WAS POSTED IN WAR BIRDS BUT SEEM'S TO NOT BE GETTING A REPLY YET.

I'D LIKE A REPLY FROM ALL TYPES OF FLYERS BUT FYI I'M MAINLY GETTING THIS MODEL FOR SLOW AND CLOSE FUN FLYING AT A LOCAL LARGE FIELD ON DAYS I'M NOT GOING TO THE REGULAR FLYING FIELD.

WHAT ENGINES DO YOU USE AND RECCOMEND AND WHAT PERFORMANCE DO YOU GET WITH THEM?.

WHAT SERVO'S DO YOU USE AND RECCOMEND? OR USE ?.

WHAT MODIFICATIONS TO MODEL DID YO MAKE OR RECCOMEND AND WHY?

DOES THIS MODEL LAND ON SHORT GRASS WELL?

THANKS, DENNIS
Old 05-11-2002, 02:50 AM
Bill Aanstad

Default LT51

Real fun little "sleeper" of a plane, a great flyer like all Fred Reese designs! I've flown 2 of them with OS LA40's, one with OS .32, and like them so well I'm putting one together with TT Pro 36 which should be a blast with APC 11x3 prop (although a 10x4 or 10x5 is fine too). A BB 25 would be adequate, anything less off grass might be a bit marginal. I modified the wing hold down (to avoid the embarrassment of forgetting rubber bands at the field) by embedding a dowel in the centersection (root ribs are 1/4" balsa) above the LE, and hollowed out a hole near the TE for a single 10x24 nylon screw to hold the wing, secured to a drilled & tapped wood block glued across the fuse along the bulkhead behind the TE. Covered the wing joint at TE with a piece of ply to spread the load, this is covered by the plastic airscoop. Only problem area is the wing joiner is 3 pieces of ply glued together into one really solid dihedral brace, but it's too thick to fit into the slot between the spars/sheer webs and needs a bunch of sanding, so be sure to pre-fit it carefully before mixing up the epoxy. The LG wire is somewhat soft, and may bend rearward after a few less-than-perfect grass field landings, making it hard to take off -- a bit more forward rake wouldn't hurt for grass takeoffs, or slightly larger wheels. Fun little plane. Standard servos are fine, wing cutouts are provided for either standard or mini's -- Hitec 225's would work great on ailerons, but the wing loading is extremely light even with standard servos (you just cut covering from whichever size servo hole you choose)
Old 07-18-2003, 01:10 AM
ArthurR

Default P51 Thunder Tiger

Dennis,
Your post was several months ago. I just ran across it, sorry. By now, you must have answered all your questions. If not, I may be able to help you with some........

I've had six of these great planes over the last several years, so you know how much I love them. The first had a Fox 40, then came the next three with a OS 46, then the last two with the same OS.46 but with a Ultra Thrust pipe and a 11 x 4 prop. It will climb out of sight at part throttle. Also inverted at 1/3. CG is not a problem.

That's way more power than called for, but it sure is fun. There are two modifications required to handle the extra engine power.

1) Strengthen the vert stab by adding 3/4" triangle under the horz stab to the fuse. That makes the horz stab stronger and prevents it coming off in flight. It will!

2) Take out the forked elev control dowel and replace it with two 4-40 rods. Join them together with two wheel collers two inches from the elev servo. Cut one off and run the other to the servo. This prevents elev flutter which WILL occur at high speed and make the tail fall off.

The fuse will also handle a much larger tank. I have a 20 oz stuffed in.

Grass fields are easy with the standard wheels since it takes off so quickly. Landings, as you've discovered, can be made very slowly.

I use standard BB servos. 6 volts works very well.

It can be made to fly very slowly by mixing in flaps with the ailerons to produce "flaparons", then also adding a little down elevator. With a little practice it will fly at almost walking speed.

This plane is more fun than anything I have ever flown, and I've had some 26 planes in the past few years. I just can't find anything more fun. I keep going back to it. It does everything well; can be fast or slow, does outragous manouvers, looks good on the ground and in the air.

Sorry it took so long to post a reply. Let me know what you think of your plane.

Arthur
Old 07-18-2003, 02:34 AM
UltimateFlyer120
My Feedback: (5)

The club I'm a member of has 12 different P51 Funflys flying around. I have to admit the P51 is fun to fly! I've been part of 3 doing ring around the runway touch and goes. I think the designer was thinking of flying this P51 in his front yard and dodge trees and bushes and swing sets!
Old 07-21-2003, 10:44 PM
SkyDude

I'm building one of these as well. I'm planning on using a OS .40LA. I was planning onusing a 10x6 prop - what do you guys recommend?

What brand of tank do you have that is 20 oz.? I got a Sullivan 8 oz in there, but it seemed to be tight. Maybe I had some room length-wise, but height and width seemed maxed out.

It would be nice to have more than 7-8 minutes per flight.

I'm planning on using my old Futaba 7UAF Super radio and it's old S-148 servos. This equipment has hardly been used. Just one flight on a GP Cherokee (RIP) that ended due to a battery failure. Anyone see problems with this setup? (and yes, the Tx and Rx batteries have been replaced recently)

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:19 AM
ArthurR

Sky,

ENGINE:
The LA 40 will do a good job on the TT P51. The prop sounds about large, probably a little too much load on the engine. To find out if it's right, use your tach and measure the max rpm's on the gound. Compare that rpm to the engine's book for max rated rpm. Choose a prop that gives you about 20% less than the max rated for the engine, since it will go higher in the air. I use a prop that is the max diameter with the smallest pitch, since that plane is not a fast flyer and is most fun at moderate speed. So, instead of a 10x6, you might try a 11x3. I think with that engine you will end up with around 10x5 or 10x4 to get max power.

TANK: I can't remember the brand of tank, probably Sullivan. Go down to your LHS and take your fuse. Get the largest one they have that will fit.

RADIO: Your radio gear will be just fine. All you need is four channels, and you have that. I flew it several years with a Futaba SkyPort-4, and that's all it had.

SERVOS: Your servos will be fine, assuming they are in good shape. That plane doesn't put a lot of strain on the servos. If your old servos were involved in a crash, check them closely for broken teeth in the gear train. Do that by installing a servo arm on the output shaft and turning it while listening and feeling for broken teeth. You'll feel a notch or gap as the little gears spin inside the servo. You can also take it apart and visually inspect for broken teeth.

BATTERY: If you haven't already bought a battery, consider upgrading to a 6 volt. It's a direct plug in and the servos will operate a little more crisply. OK for the receiver, too.

I was out flying my TT P51 yesterday. It's still a blast after several years of flying these great ARF's.

Have fun!

ArthurR
Old 07-22-2003, 02:04 AM
SkyDude

Great info Arthur. Thanks very much for the detailed reply.

I'm hoping to get the Lazy Tiger built and in the air by this weekend - if I can just get my Lazy Butt going. I'll post here how it goes!

And thanks Dennis for starting the thread.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:35 AM
Dennis Tampa FL

I'm still remodeling my house so flying and repairing planes are on hold.

Need to send in my os 32 sx for warranty work, but when healthy which with a apc 10-4 took off and goes vertical in a very short run. Any greater pitch than 4 might get you in flutter easier. WATCH THAT SPEED.

I did try a 11-3 apc but if there is any wind at all the pitch is not enough to pull you thorough it, 10-4 seems perfect, down the road lie to try a 10-4 wood or 11-4 wood prop.

AND YES! replace those elevator rods as he said they will flutter. I do still need to do mine. If you dont replace them keep it very slow, be carefull of flying into the wind then turning from the wind causing the speed to invcrease to flutter speed, throttle management defently needed.

I used the super lite foam wheel from dubro in 3.5 inch size does great in grass.

pERSONALLY THE STOCK 6OZ TANK IS FINE FOR ME OVER 15 MIN WITH ABOUT 1/3 TANK LEFT OVER WITH THE OS 32. Why make the plane heaver when lighter is = SLOWER :-).

Down the road if it lasts I want to increase rudder size and mabey elevator size with balance tabs to increase its envelope.
Right now the plane is my trainer :-) / 1st plane.

I
m still a new flyer but.

please excuse writng as keyboard going bakd and cant correct mistakes. delete buttton not working. need new keyboarkd. :-(

What special tricks can you do with your laxy 51's?

Have fun, Dennis Spyridakos
Old 09-03-2003, 05:41 AM
SkyDude

Well I've got about 20 flights on my TT Lazy Tiger P51. It flies great! Just make sure you get the CG right. My first maiden was way tail heavy and it porpised a lot. That and the engine died about fourty feet in the air after take off. I was lucky to get it around and back in one piece.

Once the CG was spot on and the engine (OS 40LA) was dialed in, it flew much better. With high rates, it is very nimble and can carve a lot of turns in a small space.

I'd have to say the touch & goes are my favorite. It does killer two wheel landings and I can keep it on two wheels all the way down the runway until I add just a tad elevator and power out smoothly.

Thanks again for the tips. It's a very fun little plane!
Old 09-03-2003, 01:27 PM
ArthurR

Default TT P-51

SkyDude,
Congratulations on flying your new bird! The LA40 is a good choice. I've seen that set up at our field and it does very well.

Later, as you get more comfortable and want to add power, the .46FX with a Performance Specialties muffler and 11X6 APC prop is an easy way to jazz it up another couple of notches. It will put to shame many other planes. It's very competitive even at top speed, and few can enjoy its low speed performance.

I'm on my third year of flying this model and I keep going back just for the fun of flying such a responsive and easy to fly plane! Not that the current plane is the original. There have been four others, but who's counting?

It's the most fun of all the 20 or so planes I've gone though. I hope you enjoy yours as much.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:48 PM
SkyDude

I used your advice and added 4-40 rods on both the elevators and rudder. I added a piece of plywood on the first bulkhead to stabilize the rod tubes. No flutter at top speed.

I also re-enforced the tail with tri-stock. Seems to be very solid now. I've yanked it around pretty hard and it has held up so far.

Definitely lives up to it's "fun-fly" billing!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	107390_33273.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	7350  
Old 10-12-2003, 09:42 PM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Lazy Tiger P-51 ? Engine Rec./ Servo Rec. / Grass Landing?

Here's my Lazy Tiger. Just finished it and haven't had a chance to fly it yet. Has a OS .32F in it and Hitec minis in the wings. Standard servos elsewhere. I too put a bulkhead in place to steady the elevator and rudder pushrods. Seems pretty firm with little movement. I don't plan on flying it fast anyhow, just slow and easy maneuvers low on the deck. Has anyone done any spins with it? Interested to know how easily it recovers. Hopefully she'll be flying this week.

Hey Skydude, is that a deep-sea diver in your plane or a teletubbie? Looks good.

Jesse

Name:	Ig12174.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	67283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76453.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	67284  
Old 10-12-2003, 10:00 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

I flew mine this weekend about 8 total flights with the new Saito 40, 4 stroke engine.

With 15 percent nitro fuel its ok but wont prop hang long say 3 seconds before falling, engine will not take it stright up with out momentem.

OS 32 sx much more powerfull but its goint in to the shop for repair.

Mine today did have the tail wheel wire break through the rudder wood so I need to use a flat piece of plastic with screws to reienforce it ( landing gear retainer piece from dubro) .

I havent flew for months and I'm using it as a trainer. The lazy 51 is GREAT.

Going to get a few more 51's and increase the elevator and rudder like the sledge with balance tabs.

Getting up the nerve to try the Sledge again with the new YS 63 :-)

I do love that lazy 51 though. I went lone wolf and trained myself in rc with it, and of course using FMS simulator.

Dennis
Old 10-12-2003, 10:01 PM
SkyDude

Naw, it's not a TeleTubbie - it's Kenny!

Name:	Ki20097.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	67285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97738.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	67286  
Old 10-12-2003, 10:07 PM
whstlngdeath

From South Park!!

Awesome! That's a great pic in flight.

Dennis, if you notice in my pics of my L.T. above, I moved the tailwheel to the scale location. The fuse had a bad enough warp at the tail that mounting the wheel there would not have worked. Here's what I mean:

Jesse

Name:	Zx71616.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	67288  
Old 10-12-2003, 10:10 PM
SkyDude

Here's a couple more pics from today. It was pretty windy but I didn't kill Kenny!

Name:	Wu59977.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	67289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52963.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	67290  
Old 10-12-2003, 10:26 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

Arthur R, does the 46 fx Fit?

The Saito 40 is the widest I can fit on mine as mount touches both fuse sides with it , dont know if the os 46 fx is thicker or not?

I hope to have a fleet of 3 lazy 51's and wish to put a os 46 or saito 72, YS 63 on one to really have fun and put the servos in the tail to balance.

But dont know if the os 46 or saito 72 , YS 63 will fit across across wise?

Thanks, Dennis
Old 10-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

Interesting tail wheel mod, but in time Id like to try harrier's landing on the tail so I'll need the back tail wheel for protection :-)

Dennis
Old 10-12-2003, 10:38 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

FYI I use Dubro 3 inch super lite wheels to help with ground clearence. I use the apc 11-4 on the Saito 40. on the os 32 apc 10-4 . But will later have to make landing gear wire an extra 1 to 2 inch long to clear a 13 inch prop If I ever put an saito 72 or ys 63 in one :-).

Dennis
Old 10-12-2003, 10:44 PM
Razorback58
My Feedback: (8)

It's nice to have more power than you need, but for anyone that doesn't want to stuff a big engine in one of these, an OS .25 FX will fly it just fine. I have one set up with this engine and standard servos. It flies great with this combination and will fly off of grass. (I would recommend bending the landing gear a little forward as it wants to nose over) For anyone wanting to just do some lazy flying but wants to cut up every now and then, this is a good combination. Just my .02 worth.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:55 PM
SkyDude

I've got an OS 40LA on mine with a 10x5 Master Airscrew Schimtar prop. I think it has enough power for normal flying (I can do multiple loops no problem) but not enough for unlimited vertical or prop-hanging. I don't think this plane would prop hang very well anyway since is has a short tail and the rudder is not very large.

I tried the 10x6 but it seemed like a little too much. Funny thing, I have another OS 40LA on my Avistar and it loves the 10x6.

Anyhow, make sure you follow Arthur's advice and reinforce the tail with some tri-stock. This plane can pull some very tight turns and you'll need the extra support on the tail.

The best thing about this plane is the landings. I can keep it on two wheels down the entire runway, and then just give a little power and up-elev to make a nice scale takeoff.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:16 AM
Tank
My Feedback: (1)

I have just taken my Magnum 30 4 stroke off of my Lazy Tiger and replaced it with an OS Surpass 40. It seems that I have lost my manual and I cant remeber the CG for sure. If memory serves me right it was 4 inches from the LE. If that is the case I have had to move my battery pack aft the servos and also add some lead. Is 4 inches correct for the CG? I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me out on this.
thanks in advance!!!
Old 11-23-2003, 12:24 AM
whstlngdeath

Yep,
According to my manual, the CG is 4 to 4 1/4 inches. Going with a .40 FS? If you have the clearance, you can put a big prop on that sucker and really hover!

Jesse
Old 11-24-2003, 08:29 AM
Dennis Tampa FL

Just noticed the new post, I just recently put the new Saito 40a on my Lazy P51 and not too happy with it as it replaces a OS 32 sx.

OS 32 seemed much more powerful. Saito 40 is brand new.

Havent bought a scale to measure the 51 yet but seems to heavy for the saito wished I tryed a Saito 72 on it if it would fit.

Saito 4o maxed the mount to the sides of the engine area so itts probally the largest for 4 stroke.

Saito 40 bolted right in the ox32 holes that why I bought it while waiting for os32 to be fixed. \

Looking for a lite 2 lb, 3D plane to put the saito 40 on when the os32 returns.

The CG 4 to 4.25 is correct.

Good luck, Dennis
Old 11-24-2003, 11:43 AM
whstlngdeath

Dennis,
How about a Global Tequila Sunrise for that Saito .40? It's a .25 size, but that Saito .40 is a pretty light engine. Check it out:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go

Jesse

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.