Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Tufffight 4D, it flies!

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Tufffight 4D, it flies!

Old 01-11-2004, 08:46 PM
stdun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tufffight 4D, it flies!

First test flight today with moderate winds. Only one flight as winds increased. OS46fx with Morris Hobbies tuned pipe seems like too much power, will probably go back to stock muffler. Actually the power band seems more fluid with the stock one but still have testing to do. Seems to hover and knife edge easy, I might be a little tail heavy? But the BIG TEST was the first "landing"! Half throttle into the deck nose first. Would have destroyed any balsa plane. Not even a broken prop! The plane seemed very light in the air even though it comes in at 4lbs, 13ozs. JR 537's throughout. How about you guys?
Old 01-12-2004, 08:17 AM
Pengineer1

Default RE: Tufffight 4D, it flies!

Good to hear you've also flown your new 4D. I've never heard if there is anyone else flying one yet...

My 4D is 4.75 lbs with YS .63 and HiTec 545s on ailerons and elevator, 525MG on rudder, and micro on throttle. 5 cell NiMH batt.

Hovers a bit above half throttle, but I'm at a mile hi elevation. Harriers sweetly but with a bit of wing rock sometimes. Torque rolls way better than my Morris profiles ever did. Waterfalls are awesome and easy- you can just hold full down, hi or lo rates, very minimal altitude loss.

I'm still getting expos and dual rates dialed in for my preferences, because high rates have amazing control authority. It took me several tries to get a good upright flat spin and when I got the surfaces set in their sweet spot it was spinning with no altitude loss- I hope to get it right to climb in the spin. I couldn't get inverted flat spin, but I think it is my problem, not the 4Ds.

I'm flying off asphalt- The plane acts weird on fast taxi- It seems to stick on the ground till it finally pops off the runway with full elevator- I haven't figured out what is happening. Perhaps I should switch on flaperons to give wing more lift? deep keel and rudder doesn't allow enough angle of attack on ground?

To land you have to come in with a little speed and power on and flare at the last moment, or slow it up and you have to add power to harrier land- your choice.

Best knife edge I've ever flown! Sometimes no aileron correction at all, sometimes a breath of elevator to keep it tracking perfect, but far and away the most balanced plane I've ever flown. I want to learn to KE from edge to edge without ever having to turn plane around.

My last flight last night I was having too much fun and ran the tank dry. Oops- downwind and 50 feet hi- no time to set up a glide- she went in pretty steep (30 degree) into a plowed field...just a little grimy- no damage whatsoever.

I'm loving this plane. What a great hybrid- Sort of like a QHOR but no flapping or flopping and better lo power glide. Sort of like a profile Morris but much more control authority- but I know I am not the most experienced fun flier. Some of you guys probably have profile planes and QHORS set up better than I ever got mine. I don't have many other serious fun flier pilots in my club to teach me so I've had to learn on my own. I've built and flown Morris the Knife, Morris Top Cap, Pizza Box, QHOR, Diamond Unlimited...

Anyone else flying the 4D yet??

Bill
Old 01-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Ultimate99

Hey Bill, you are right about taking off. I found that to be the case also, in fact I like to position the plane in front of me then give full up and full throttle. The elevator will actually act like a brake and when released the plane will catupult forward. It's just for kicks. Since there is a large sub rudder and it holds up the fuse and wing, you simply have to resist giving too much up for a second or two then she will pop right off.
I have been playing with spins also. I love the KE flat spin (very fast) but am still expeirmenting, alas too cold (-20 today).

Mark
Old 01-14-2004, 10:41 AM
Pengineer1

Thanks Mark! Great to talk to you last night. Yes, I think you are right about the sub rudder holding the tail high making the hesitation to take off. There is a very experimental full scale aerobatic plane that has a fullsize vertical stab and rudder both on top AND below the fuselage. The vertical stab below the fuselage actually hinges and folds up along the horizontal stab for takeoff and landing! I think the plane is called a Shark, but I don't know if they've ever flown it...again, fullscale, not a model.

I'll have to play with the full elevator airbrake! Sounds like fun!

I'm really having fun with the 4D. Last time I flew 8 flips in a sustained waterfall till I got nervous that the ground was coming up fast...

Take care.

Bill
Old 01-15-2004, 07:47 AM
RC_Junky
My Feedback: (1)

Where can one read more about or get a look at this plane?
Old 01-15-2004, 08:42 AM
novabill

Where can one read more about or get a look at this plane?
www.tufflight.com
Old 01-25-2004, 02:52 PM
stdun

Are there any more flight reports out there? Having some issues with mine and just wondering how others are doing.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:43 PM
fadmuker

VIDEO?

ITS FUN TO FUNFLY