Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 Burrito -or- OMP Edge 540 ? >

Burrito -or- OMP Edge 540 ?

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Burrito -or- OMP Edge 540 ?

Old 03-17-2004, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Burrito -or- OMP Edge 540 ?

as for inexpensive .46 engines try the TT .46 pro- all the guys at my club swear that they rock with the tower pipe- they say that the run awesome right out of the box- Billy Hell said the same thing about it- so I tend to believe what the guys were telling me was right- I'll probably put it on the next one I build- and I'm partial to os 446fx for my 40 size profiles- the TT is about 25-30 bucks cheaper-

Alex Holden
Pro Bro #555
[email protected]
Old 03-17-2004, 03:53 PM
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: ImSpad

I am glad thats not a problem....I want to use a 46 on it....thats all I'm buying from now on. I can't afford to dirt nap or pound pavement with those $200 4 cycle motors.

I'm looking for anything to tip the scale though. ...[&o]

Its hard to believe that the Burrito is not lighter by a tiny bit. With a fuse that looks to be a lighter design and a shorter wing...I would think that it would be .25-.5 lbs lighter.

I suck at making buying decisions...I over analyze. [:@]
The nose on the Burrito is just a little shorter... And the weight of mine is 4 lbs 5 oz. with standard servo's and a Webra .50.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:57 PM
My Feedback: (7)

All this engine talk has me thinking about a way to get two planes.

I have an OS .52 FS that I would like to put to use. I don't believe thats enough power for any of these...but maybe it would be enough power for the FF Taco.

Anyone ever try a .52 four stroke on any profiles?
Old 03-17-2004, 04:04 PM
My Feedback: (45)

That .52 is around 14 1/2 oz.... A little heavy for a Taco.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:24 PM

bummer...

Another engine that may never get a plane home.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:28 PM

Sell it. You should get enough funds for a .46 2stroke.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Quicker

Sell it. You should get enough funds for a .46 2stroke.
lol...yep.... I got to unload the plane and engine I think first....so I know what I have to work with.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:41 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Imspad if I was gonna build a plane like the om p 540 I'd buy the sig fazer instead. You can get it for usually 49.99 and is a really easy build. You don't have to build the fuse at all since it's a solid 1/2" balsa fuse pre-cut. But if I wanted the strongest profile I know of I'd get the burrito with the carbonfiber boom in the fuse. Paul's design is just about the best I've ever seen! Bar none! It will last 10x of any other plane like this I can think of! Boogerboy
Old 03-17-2004, 07:01 PM

OMG

Pure cruelity to introduce yet another plane option to me...

But I like the price....it looks like Tower has it at $60 though....were'd you see that for $49?

It looks like it would work with my .52 Four Cycle too....

Is this really a profile approved by the brotherhood?
Old 03-17-2004, 08:48 PM
Banned

Default RE: RE: Burrito -or- OMP Edge 540 ?

Hey, don't want to piss anybody off, but I might. IMO The Sig Fazer doesn't even fit this conversation. It will never 3D to the degree any of these others do, at least the 20 or so I've seen (and flew several) won't. I've never seen one that could.

I wouldn't add that to the list, but that's me.

I guess with all this info, and 3 great flying planes, you might want to decide based on whether you think you're gonna turf it regularly. I tend to Turf my Burrito and Taco a lot because I feel safe getting them low and crazy. The others stay higher.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:06 PM

Yeh, well I'm a neebie to this. It didn't quite look as cool to me....of course, Sig really should look to update that plane picture. It looks like its from the roaring 20's. Theres also the Hot Knife. http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/127595.asp Seems to me that plane is similar to the sig Fazer as well...maybe its not in the same class either.

I would think the Yak would turf better than the burrito....wouldn't it. Its balsa sandwiched foam....thats about the toughest surface that is still light that I'm aware of. Gilder flyers swear by that combo.

I don't plan on flying any plane into the ground...but I get flame-outs and theres very little time to land when your 15 feet up and your air speed is zero and then thrust goes to zero as well.

Why does the Burrito endure better? Why do you feel safer getting them low....less time to rebuild maybe?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:36 PM
My Feedback: (24)

I honestly don't know if I"ve read a complaint about the OMP edge or the Burrito flight characteristics on these boards. That should tell you can't go wrong with either one. Personally I would pick one, fly it to pieces, then build the other

I flew my OMP all summer last year, I'll probably have another, it's one great plane. I'm building the big one at the moment. I haven't gotten to fly a burrito yet so I can't comment.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:21 PM
Banned

The big deal on the Burrito is that CF Rod through the fuse and wing. It locks the fuse and wing together and strenthens the fuse, eliminating the two most common failures in the profile: Fuse breaks behind wing and wing comes loose from fuse. The closest profile to the Burrito is the Knife, and that Knife will snap the fuse if you dork it hard on the nose and the wing comes loose in a kartwheel. The Burrito will not.

I know for sure that the OMPs and Burrito fly well. As was said, never a bad word on these birds. I just figured if you're pushing the limits of your abilities (You are a Bro, right?) then the added strength of the Burrito would be a plus. I have a Burrito and others, and the OMPs are next, it's not that I don't like them. But that rod has saved me dozens of repairs/rebuilds.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Gordo-Outlaw
I just figured if you're pushing the limits of your abilities (You are a Bro, right?) then the added strength of the Burrito would be a plus.
I gotta keep pushing or I get bored...

But, having said, all of the crashs on my spad3d have been flame-outs and I can pretty much do everything with it now... harrier, hovering, flat-spins, etc. I'm not completely comfortable with TorqueRolling yet....so I'm definetly a beginner 3D'er. All of the flameouts have been doing tail-touching....on throttle advancement. I figured I would continue practicing with the spad3d but maybe start thinking about putting something on the table to take over after it retires....

Nope not a BRO...need to fly one first....

All 3 of these are great planes. Thanks for everyones help. I'll think about it a few more days and then flip a coin to start out with one of them. I'm sure it will die eventually (hopefully spectacularly) and then maybe I try the other one next.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:43 PM

I think you would be fine with the Mag .52 on any of the 46 size planes. I am building the burrito right now. I will build the OMP Yak next and at some point I would like to supersize the Burrito for a .68 size engine (If paul does'nt mind). I have a FF taco that I love and I have built many SPADs. Everybody is right in what they are saying and the reason I chose the Burrito is the following paul has and his reputation for quality. He returns e-mails almost instantly and his designs are ingenious. Listen to what the fellow bros have to say about dirt napping their Burritos and dusting them off and putting them back up. Only the Burrito owners have spoken up. You are looking for a tuff plane, so buy the Burrito build it and buy the Yak as a second profile. Just my 2 cents.

William
Old 03-17-2004, 11:09 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Imspad are you gonna change your ID to Was-spad?
Old 03-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: boogerboy

LOL

I used to be Gordo-Plast (supposed to be a play on CoroPlast) But I got on with life after I learned what the SPA3D could teach me (and that was A LOT!!!)

I guess we're all different. Some stay SPADDERRS all their life, others pass though. The only wrong ones are those who refuse to try!
Old 03-18-2004, 08:12 AM

I guess we're all different. Some stay SPADDERRS all their life, others pass though. The only wrong ones are those who refuse to try!
Well said Gordo
Old 03-18-2004, 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: boogerboy

Maybe... I believe that the thinking of spadders and profiling seems to be very nearly the same. I will also have both.

Spadders and profiliers push the envelope and their plane...thats me. Thats opposed to scale building, pure-pattern flying...which I am not.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:45 AM

You'll just have to build a SPAD profile, like Chris's CC Edge to keep your SPAD membership card. I think at least one coroplast bird a year is all that is required
Old 03-19-2004, 06:41 AM
Banned

I'm gonna use 2 mil coro to laminate a foam fuse, does that count?
Old 03-19-2004, 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Gordo-Outlaw

I'm gonna use 2 mil coro to laminate a foam fuse, does that count?

I think so.

William540