Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 Burrito -or- OMP Edge 540 ? >

Burrito -or- OMP Edge 540 ?

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Burrito -or- OMP Edge 540 ?

Old 03-16-2004, 03:34 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burrito -or- OMP Edge 540 ?

Which one. They seem to be very similar. Is there anyone who has both and likes one over the other and/or why do they like one over the other.

I can hover my spad3d and now I would like to step up and hover a balsa

Both Cost -- About $70 shipped. The Edge540 looks to have a little bigger wingspan but it looks like its a little bit more work to build since both the fuse and wing are fully balsa covered. I'm guessing with the extra wing span and sheeting it might weigh more as well...

Any opinions that you can't hold back on?
Old 03-16-2004, 03:46 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Burrito -or- OMP Edge 540 ?

I would pick the ohio edge in this scenerio. It will be a little harder to build the wing is not fully sheated, just the d tube, but there are plenty of others that have built one that can help if needed. I have only flown a burrito twice and it is a good easy to build airplane, I just personally like the knife edge, flat spin abilities and flying attributes of the edge better. I dont believe youd be dissapointed either way though
Old 03-16-2004, 03:50 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Well... There are the physical differences..... The OMP has a tapered wing. Burrito is constant cord.... Construction is different. OMP is build like a classic profile with a sheeted fuse and slip in wing, Burrito uses the CF Tube, unsheeted fuse and the wing is integrated into the fuse with the tube passing thru the center of the entire frame.

I've flown both... I like them both....
Old 03-16-2004, 04:48 PM
My Feedback: (21)

You may want to consider the OMP Yak as well. Foam core fuse, as easy to build as any profile. Mad rudder power.

Just an FYI.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:46 PM

Get them both while you are flying one build the other for a backup. and then build the YAK.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:01 PM

Well the Yak is in another price category.

I would rather stick with the $70 and below price category so that if I dirt nap it....I can sleep at night with the lowest amount of Emotional Debt Factor.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:06 PM

It's only $10 more. Just an FYI.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:27 PM

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Oh, I was looking at the bigger YAK...

So why would I want this instead of the Edge 540? The wing is removable?
Old 03-16-2004, 09:44 PM
Banned

OK, I'll kick in here.

Burrito will give you a better chance for survival due to the tube through the fuse and wing. If you're like me, you'll be dorking it plenty. I've kartwheeled and hit hard straight down dozens of times (And Bill has even more!!!) All I can seem to break is the counterbalances on the elevator that wern't supposed to be there anyway!!!

The Burrito will not fly like the OMP, that is true. I figure it's between the Spad and the Edge. I assume the SPA3D is the first 3D for you from your explanation. From my point of view, Burrito would be way better to move up into "real" planes, and as Lom said you could be building the OMP while flying the Burrito. The Burrito is the fastest/easiest/best build I've ever seen in a balsa kit, and I've built many over the years. (But I never built an OMP)

I love my Sledge and my Burrito, and fly them both. But I think the Sledge would have died an early death had I not got passed the worst of the "Turfing" with the Burrito. I am assuming the Sledge and OMP are similar since I don't have the OMP YET!
Old 03-16-2004, 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: ImSpad
Oh, I was looking at the bigger YAK...
So why would I want this instead of the Edge 540? The wing is removable?
Well it just depends. The Yak is an easier build, foam core fuse. It's really nice. Also the Yak has more rudder power then the Edge. The Yak is basically a more wild version of the Edge. The Edge is slightly more stable, the Yak is slightly more agile. It's a tough choice. If you like one, you'll want the other. You just can't win no matter which plane you buy.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Banned

You just can't win no matter which plane you buy.
That's not quite true. You just can't loose no matter HOW MANY planes you buy!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2004, 10:19 PM

STLPilot :

Just curious. What have you guys noticed for a weight difference in the foam core fuses as compaired to the built up/sheeted ones? I really like the idea and build technique of the foam core fuses.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:49 PM

Just curious. What have you guys noticed for a weight difference in the foam core fuses as compared to the built up/sheeted ones? I really like the idea and build technique of the foam core fuses.
I have just finished building the 47" Yak fuse and I have an uncovered Sledge fuse laying around (don't ask). The Sledge has the vertical stab attached, but the Yak doesn't. Both weigh in at 9.8 oz (the sledge was actually alternating 9.8-9.9 on my scale).

I will say that my Yak is very slightly modified as I am going to make it look like a Rare Bear Reno racer.

Also the Yak fuse is quite a bit more rigid and at least a quarter inch thicker. Also I need to round the corners of the Yak fuse which may take another tenth or so off.

Anyway, IMO, the weights are equal. The foam seems stronger and is definitely easier to build.

Leonard
Old 03-17-2004, 07:05 AM

In case you missed ImSpad here is what the fuse looks like. It's professionally cut hot wire and routed. The company that is doing these is really doing a nice job, it's almost a shame to cover them. But jdecarlo is right, the foam core fuse is just as light as the built up and just as strong.

Any of the Pro-Bro endorsed profiles are easy to build. Even the Burrito. They all fly great as well. It's a tough choice for anyone who has to pick just one.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:35 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Wow, it's hard to keep up but here's the basic poop on the OMP Edge or Yak (47" versions). Or and by the way Dion, slight tongue twist on "win versus looses"! lol I think Dion meant to say you WILL win no matter how many planes you buy.

The Edge wing design is absolutely the most stable of any competing aircraft short of a totally forward swept wing. The FF540P was designed to be just that - an extremely stable 3d trainer capable of expanding one's flying envelope. The Yak on the other hand is not quite as stable although that's not to say that it is not stable (check the videos), only not as much as the Edge 540 wing. However the combination of the Yak wing and the fuselage design allow amazing rudder authority the Edge doesn't quite have. It's basically a slight tradeoff in agility for stability. So it depends on your skill level and flying style as to which one best suits your needs. If you are like most of us ProBros, you need at least a 6-pack of everything!

Both my FF540P and the FFYak54P weigh in at exactly 4 lbs so there is no difference in weight of the two building designs.

Mike Pilkenton
Old 03-17-2004, 11:17 AM

Wow...what a tough decision. I'm thinking that since I was originally going to build a blue-foam spad and can't find any blue foam around here...that something out there is telling me I should get the YAK because it looks like it has the blue-foam core fuse... I was going to build the spad I had in mind out of blue foam for the fuse.

So everyone is talking about rudder authority. Do both the burrito and 540 have a tough time with a knifeedge then?
Old 03-17-2004, 11:22 AM

There are 3 videos on the OMP site if you want to see it fly. Just goto the 47" Yak on the models page. There you will see the 3 video links.

On almost all profiles knife edges are almost rudderless. The profile fuse does most of the work, you just need to add a touch of rudder. Unless you are doing hi-alpha knife edges.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:42 PM
My Feedback: (45)

As far as Knife edge goes... Both the OMP Edge and the Burrito knife with almost no coupling.... High alpha knife edge is pretty clean too...

Both planes fly very well... Subtle differences to the profile connoisseur..... The real difference to me is in the construction. If you want to see more about how the Burrito goes together, check out www.swanyshouse.com/burrito/burrito.html Click on the Construction Pics.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:08 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Paul and Dion are very right. Almost all profiles (at least modern designs) knife edge effortlessly and with little to no coupling. This depends mostly on thrust lines relative to wing and stab as well as symetrical wing designs. The OMP Edge has zero mixing requirements for knife edge.

Mike
Old 03-17-2004, 01:24 PM

Yes, I'm going to have to flip a coin...I just need a 3-headed one.

It looks like finding a place for the fuel tank on a profile requires a little effort. Is the nose on the burrito a bit smaller ?
Old 03-17-2004, 01:42 PM

I'm just waiting to see what it's going to be. This is so exciting!

Old 03-17-2004, 01:51 PM

But then the next problem is:

1) SAITO .72
or
2) YS .63
or
3) Irvine .53

Old 03-17-2004, 01:53 PM
My Feedback: (19)

The magnum XLS 52 is an inexpensive powerhouse as well
Old 03-17-2004, 02:00 PM

I am glad thats not a problem....I want to use a 46 on it....thats all I'm buying from now on. I can't afford to dirt nap or pound pavement with those $200 4 cycle motors.

I'm looking for anything to tip the scale though. ...[&o]

Its hard to believe that the Burrito is not lighter by a tiny bit. With a fuse that looks to be a lighter design and a shorter wing...I would think that it would be .25-.5 lbs lighter.

I suck at making buying decisions...I over analyze. [:@]
Old 03-17-2004, 02:29 PM

Yeah knife edge is not a problem with profiles even most will do knife edge loops, it's just that i have seen on the videos the YAK will do knife edge loops in your living room. (If you have a big living room). Now I have just about the four top profiles out there. The OMP edge, OMP YAK, Morris Sledge, Pauls burrito, and pauls FF-Taco. OK make that five. The reason I am able to get them all is that they are very inexpensive and we have long winters.

But yes it can be a very hard choice if you have to pick just one. It seems that each of the designers had a very slightly different mission in mind and designed accordingly. Another thing is that the designers of these planes are all here on RCU offering phenominal customer support as well as a mutual respect between them.

So good luck with your choice !! (make the right one and get them all)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.