Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Taco .25 plans

Old 05-24-2003, 05:29 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Controls

I do my controls on the out side now... Much easier to deal with.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	81087_233.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	9336  
Old 05-25-2003, 12:51 PM

Default Taco .25 plans

Thanks!
I'll also do them on the outside. Are you running a plain piano wire through a light ply rod guide?

Can't wait to get this bird flying!!
Old 05-26-2003, 02:50 AM

Default Taco .25 plans

Yup.... 2x56 control rod thru 1/8" rod guide.. I've also used antena tubing and landing gear straps...

Name:	81405_233.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	9337  
Old 05-29-2003, 01:24 AM

Default Taco .25 plans

here are my two models....one is fat free the other isn't
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2003, 01:25 AM

Default Taco .25 plans

and the other side
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2003, 01:29 AM

Default Taco .25 plans

And of course the 3/4 view....cant wait to fly it...we will see how the radio and engine install go...btw i'm putting tank in the wing,looks a lot cleaner that way. will post finished pics.

Name:	82215_21014.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	9340  
Old 05-29-2003, 09:13 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Taco .25 plans

Hey guys....I have a few questions. First.....why not put the servos in the rear for the rudder and elevator so you can put a four stroke in the Taco? The servos in the rear would off set the weight of the heavier four stroke. Second......where can I get the flag decal you all are using on your planes? Third.....Hacker....how about a larger photo of your models???????

Dave
Old 05-29-2003, 11:32 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Taco .25 plans

Hacker - The Tacos look great! I ordered a Taco from Paul earlier this week. I should see it soon. Don't know when I will get to it yet, but I will fit it in sometime (maybe when Paul finishes this Aeron! <GRIN>)
Kevin
Old 05-29-2003, 11:42 AM

Default Taco .25 plans

Dave, these are not decals...its monokote over monokote using the windex method...i dont know how to insert a link but if you do a search using termagator you will find a "how to do a waving flag thread" its all well described by gator...just follow his instructions you cant go wrong

cant help you with larger pictures of the "models"
Old 05-29-2003, 11:50 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Taco .25 plans

Originally posted by Hacker
cant help you with larger pictures of the "models"
I tried to enlarge them for you - Hacker, but the resolution was not there to support a larger pic. He just wanted to see a better picture of the babe anyways <LOL>

BTW - Here is the thread with Gator's instruction on how to do the American Flag covering scheme
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...331&forumid=63
Kevin D
Old 05-29-2003, 01:51 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Default Taco .25 plans

Just started my FF Taco kit last night. Seems to go together real quick. I definitely like the small size. Will fit almost on the passenger seat of any car. If it flies really that good, I might have to build another one right after this one.

Hacker, yours looks great, and I was thinking of using also the flag scheme. Not 100% sure yet, since everybody is doing the same scheme. Maybe I can come up with something new and unique. On the other hand, I am no covering guru like Gator or Billy or Paul. Let's see.
Did you assembled yours first and then covered, or did you covered first and then assembled like an ARF ?
What engine do you have on yours ? Mine will be a Irvine 25 with Irvine pipe on it.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:22 PM

Default Taco .25 plans

Ulf,
i assembled mine 1st then covered...i think most do it the other way (cover 1st)...your choice
engine is os25fx with moose can pipe, would be kinda cool if we all showed up at nashville with flags
Old 05-29-2003, 02:31 PM

Default Taco .25 plans

That looks great Hacker!!! Nice looking wife.. ahhh I mean plane!!!

imsofaman - if you wanna do the servo's in the tail... go for it... I just didn't want to deal with that much weight hanging out so far from the CG.... I think the centrifugal forces would change it's flight characteristics.... Beside... 4 strokes just aren't my cup of tea...
Old 05-29-2003, 03:40 PM

Default Taco .25 plans

OK Paul......I am sure it will do fine with the two stroke and set up as you intended it to be. If it aint broke....don't fix it. After the I am finished with the kit, I will scratch build using my modifications. When I am finished I will post some photos. The print of the Taco that I downloaded last week, I have redrawn some modfications of the fuselage nad the wing. It will be a profile Gee Bee Z racer with Snoopy as the pilot. I am thininking of splitting the aileron to use flaps, ailerons and use it in the crow position. After I saw one of those Ultrasticks floating around with the flaps and ailerons in the crow.....I have to put it in something!The wings are wider along with the Gee Bee Z wing tips which the profile of them are symetrical. It is looking pretty cool so far.....I will keep you updated.

Looking forward to my kit arriving soon. Did the wood come in you were waiting for?
Old 05-29-2003, 03:53 PM

Default Taco .25 plans

If I've got your email name and RCU name correctly... then your kit should be going out in the morning.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:42 PM

Default Dos Tacos

Paul,

I received my second FF Taco today. Don't know when I'll start building. Having a blast with the first one. I guess I'll start building the second one when I come up with a color scheme. The standard is so high now for covering. The kidding around is pretty much over.

Dan
Old 05-30-2003, 12:10 AM

Default Taco .25 plans

Will a m v v s .21 hover this taco? Is it a kit? Do you take mastercard?
Old 05-30-2003, 03:41 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Default Taco .25 plans

I hear that about the covering scheme. The bar has definately been raised with all these awesome schemes. Paul sent me mine in the bones, and I've had it for 2 weeks now, and not put a lick of covering on it. I've changed my mind about 900000 times. Transparents, opaques, clear, rig it for night flying with clear and either chome or reflective tape on the LE, etc. It also doesnt help matters that I got my UCD back up in the air with a saito 150 on it (can you say holy poop on a stick batman ). I did pick up a roll of transparent yellow, so thats prob gonna be the main color. I also have about 30 yards of red vinyl and white vinyl, so that would work for stripes/checks/sunburst/whatever else my mind wanders to. I want to be able to find it easily when I put it in the field . Depending on where everything balances out, I may move either my battery (330 nimh 6v pack) or the elevator servo toward the rear of the fuse. Prob the battery, cause its slim and can fit between the covering. I'm going the four stroke route, and putting a saito 45 on mine. It's an older saito, but a 10/4 or 11/4 prop spins quite nicely with it on a 3lb disk. I also intend on sealing all the hingelines, thats become a manditory thing on my planes now. Flutter and breaking hinges are a thing of the past. If the 45 doesnt cut the mustard, then Ive got a TT36 heli motor/mousse can ready to bolt on. That just might give it enough power to hover it for a second or two before it falls out

Paul is an awesome builder, and a great person to do a transaction with. The fact that all of the wood joints were recessed into each other and mitered for extra strength speaks volumes about the design of this airframe.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:08 AM
My Feedback: (111)

Default Taco .25 plans

stevezero

I hope you are just kidding about the UCD with a Saito 150 on it?
Or maybe that it was the only engine you had lying around, and you didn't want to spring for a new engine for it?
Or finally, that you just wanted to see what would happen with an engine that could easily pull 2 UCD's at the same time with authority?

Other than that...

It's just wrong...

Old 05-30-2003, 01:33 PM

Default UCD/Saito 150

Romeo,

not to derail the taco thread for a second, but yes, my UCD does have a saito 150 in it. It's turning a 17/6 APC prop. It is by no means a new saito 150, so it doesnt have the full power of a new one, but it has a litle more grunt than a 120. The reasons why I did it were because I had the engine on hand, and I had seen two other 1.20 powered UCDs fly. This is the third engine on the nose of this plane (enya 80 four stroke, and a 91 fx), and I have to say, it feels a tad bit heavier, but not by much at all. It does have enough power and control throw to do a waterfall within a fuselength repeatedly, and then drop into a stationary/climbing knifeedge spin with the wing being perpendicular to the ground. Those rotations are within a fuse length as well, rotating around the TE of the wing.

It fits within the cowl completely, and gets plenty of cooling and ventilation (at least in springtime, I'll prob leave the cowl off for summer.)

Name:	82501_721.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	9341  
Old 06-01-2003, 03:04 AM

Default Taco .25 plans

Thanks for the kind words Steve. I hope you have fun with those tacos...
Old 06-01-2003, 03:19 AM

Default Taco .25 plans

Hey Steve........let me know how your Saito works out. I have a new OS 40 FS that I want to put into my Taco that coming in soon. What do you think? Could I hover it with that extra weight? With a large prop I am thinking I could. I was thinking of putting the servos in the rear and then finding perfect CG with battery placement. Your thoughts?????? Or any one elses............:spinnyeye

Dave
Old 06-02-2003, 11:56 AM

Default Taco .25 plans

Well, A norvel or os 25 seems to be the good motor combo on the taco. Termagator has one with a 36, and he said it almost had too much power. Paul said you need to shoot for an all up weight of motor and muffler to be less than 12-13 oz without modifying anything. You might be able to push that up to 14oz by moving a servo or battery back. I think I'll be able to balance mine by moving just the battery, and maybe sliding the engine back to the rear of the rails on the mount. I want to keep as much close to the CG as possible, makes the plane more of a floater than a tumbler. I may just put a 25 on it and be done with it. Ahhhh, decisions, decisions, decisions.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:11 PM

Default Taco .25 plans

For my Taco I bought a Magnum 25. I was going to buy an Irvine but that is kind of expensive. I got two Magnums for the price of one Irvine. I may just drop in the 25 so I can get it in the air. Maybe when I scratch build the next one....I will try out the four stoke.

Another thought......after the plane is built, I may just temporarily install the OS 40 four stroker motor with tape, and place the batteries along with the servos in the tail, all with masking tape just to see if I can find proper CG. If it balance correctly.....I may go for it.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:13 PM

Default Taco .25 plans

I just bought an OS 25 fx to use at SMALL in Arkansas.... Wow!! What a power house!! This thing only cost me $72 at the LHS and it really pulls a 9 x 5 apc prop!! I didn't get a chance to tack it, but I'll post numbers when I do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.