Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 WARNING! Bad experience with FOX GLow Plugs..... >

WARNING! Bad experience with FOX GLow Plugs.....

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

WARNING! Bad experience with FOX GLow Plugs.....

Old 04-04-2004, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING! Bad experience with FOX GLow Plugs.....

Hey guys, I didn't know where to post this so I decided here would be fine... So there I was at my local field, I was flying and had a dead stick... 1st deadstick with my TT .46 Pro[:@] ... I glided it to my feet to try to investigate and restart it and the inevitable had happened... I removed the plug to try it with my igniter and see if it was burned out and glow plug element (wire) had broke loose and was floating around my engine... I was turning the motor slowly and it binded at the top of the stroke... I packed up and headed home for some surgery... I pulled off the back plate and took off the head/sleeve (they are 1) assembly and submerged it in a bowl of alcohol... many small metal fragments came out... I took off the piston and it was scored a little bit... I lubed it and put it back together... It feels like it still has the original compression but I have yet to start it... I'm going to get some more glow plugs and try to start it... K&B plugs this time... I don't know why I bought a fox plug; I guess I thought they were "all good"... Maybe this is just a rare bad experience, and maybe not... My engine may be screwed on the other hand... Anybody out there had a similar experience?? BTW my TT .46 Pro is a fine engine... Ran like a top and I hope it still will.... Check out these metal fragments... I think my engine may me done.....

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65200.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	118639  
Old 04-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Banned

Default RE: WARNING! Bad experience with FOX GLow Plugs.....

Wow, never heard that before. I have used the fox a few times, never had one do that. But they never seem to last so I'm back to OS brand again. I wouldn't write off the engine too fast, sounds like you got it fast. I doubt I would have done that. Probably just put the igniiter on and hit it with the electric starter. THEN it would have been toast!!
Old 04-04-2004, 02:29 PM
My Feedback: (12)

I've blowed the elements out of a lot of plugs on piped engines. I always hate it when it happens. Just flush all the metal bits out and if you still have compression you might be a little worse for wear, but I wouldn't write the engine off just yet...
Old 04-04-2004, 05:53 PM

And I wouldn't write off Fox Plug either!!!!
Old 04-04-2004, 07:58 PM

Well I cranked her up and it still runs great!! I am back to O.S. and K&B's though... $5.00 sux but I think O.S. last the longest... I guess I am writing off Fox plugs but I wouldn't nessesarily warn anybody else off... I have a lead thumb and my TT .46 Pro is a screamer... Who knows... Just glad it didn't "rurn" my engine...
Old 04-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Banned

$5.00? Jeez, I'm paying $8+. If you can get a #8 for $5 let me know where!!!
Old 04-04-2004, 09:14 PM

Yup number 8's $5.99 (thought they were $5) at Hobbytown USA in Wichita Falls Tx... $.50 over Tower... yaaaaay!
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68183.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	118878  
Old 04-04-2004, 09:32 PM
PAR

I personally would not write off FOX plugs. I've been using them for years in all my 2-st motors...ST magnum TT OS. The only time i had any trouble was in my combat planes when i tweaked them too far. Magnum 28 at 18000 on 30% nitro.
Just an opinion.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Banned

Wow, I'll go check the new Hobby Town here. I'm paying the 7.99 here.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:36 PM

I'm sure they are fine... my TT's drink of choice is 25% at the moment. I just may have had a bad one and I was flying full throttle doing verticals and stuff so I think I just burned it out... I think and have been told by others that O.S.'s last longer and the nearest Hobby Shop is 35 miles away...
Old 04-04-2004, 10:54 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Ah..25% . You might want to look into a might colder plug. That'll sure take a toll on plugs.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:44 AM

Believe me I've noticed... Thought it was this Thunder Tiger motor (my first one)... My spare gallon of fuel is 15%... Thant is what I started running this motor with... Should be easier on plugs...
Old 04-05-2004, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Folks, one of the best kept secrets is Sonic-Tronics Glo-Devil plugs.
They make both two and four stroke plugs. I truly abuse my engines
with fuel and rpms and these plugs hold up to everything I do.
No rpm drop when you remove the glo-lead and the only time I've
had one fail was when I accidently put 12 volts to it (doh).
No, I have no connection to Sonic-Tronics, just thought I'd pass on
my findings. Oh and very reasonably priced compared to OS and others.
$3.50 to $4 for two stroke and about $6 for four strokes.

Jerry
Old 04-05-2004, 10:15 AM

I think I've seen them in Tower... Maybe one of the shops by me might have them... If I see one I'll try it... Sounds like we do some of the same type of flying...
Old 04-06-2004, 03:18 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Sorry about that....but this can happen with "ANY" plug....has nothing to do with a Fox plug. When the plug goes its like a light bulb. Look at 20 burned out light bulbs. 10 of them, the filament is burned out in the middle but the filament is intact on both sides. 5 of them the filament has broken off on one end of the other, 3 of them the filament has completely dislodged itself and is loose on both sides and comes to the glass and 2 of them the filament has completely exploded, the bulb is black inside, and the filament is in multiple, multiple fragments -- too many to count.

The way to prevent this is to replace the plug whether it needs it or not on regular intervals...I do about once per season if the motor has been in operation all season or even been sitting around during the whole season. With Fox or KB you can afford to do that.

Throw them away before there is any chance of them dyeing....and if it goes, you should flush the top of the cylinder out with fuel from a bulb before turning it over.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:21 PM

Roger that... This was probably my 5th plug in 2 gallons of fuel usage... I think I hotrod the motor too much... I think it is safe to unpost this thread... How do I do that??
Old 05-07-2004, 12:10 PM

5 plugs for 2 gallons of fuel... thats not all that bad, when I was racing nitro touring cars I used a new glow plug every other weekend, which came out to be about 5-7 plugs per gallon, Ive switched to planes and completely away from cars but I still keep a minimum of 2 spare plugs on hand at all times even though Ive only had to replace the glo plug on my 40la once and it had 3 gallons thru it including the break-in
Old 05-07-2004, 02:14 PM
My Feedback: (45)

That 25% nitro will fry those plugs in a hurry... I'd stick with the 15% or better yet, go 10% nitro with 20% oil... Unless you like to replace your engines fairly often....
Old 05-07-2004, 03:41 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I run 45% nitro in my Webra 32's and with a massaged prop am getting 18,000 r's. By the way i fly unlimited funfly competition planes. There are only a few plugs i have found that will hold up to this abuse and they are O.S. and Enya. Yes they are expensive but i have never had the problem you have described with these plugs. And that to me is worth the extra cost. I made the mistake of running a fox plug once in a ys 45 and i launched the whole center post of the plug right out of it....That one made me nervous when i landed dead stick and the engine was free wheeling on the way in. I run enya almost exclusively in all my planes and they last forever in a normal set up which i still run 30% heli fuel . The extra oil in heli fuel has made my engines last much longer than just runing 15% airplane fuel. Also on a side note if u have run 25% in your engine and decide to go back to 15% fuel you should really rebreak in the engine on the lower nitro fuel as your engine has worn in by now on the higher nitro and will have to wear in again on the lower nitro. Which by the way i have had very little luck trying. Stick with the OS plugs and enjoy flying more than pulling your hair out cause of a cheaper plug. Happy Flying!!
Old 05-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: funflysteve

Also on a side note if u have run 25% in your engine and decide to go back to 15% fuel you should really rebreak in the engine on the lower nitro fuel as your engine has worn in by now on the higher nitro and will have to wear in again on the lower nitro. Which by the way i have had very little luck trying.
really? How does that work, the piston runs in a different part of the cylinder on lower nitro?

I'll have to agree with Paul, if you're not in competition, use a lower notro and save the big bucks. But I also agree with using OS or Enya plugs. I've given up on the cheaper ones now too. If you need the extra power in a sport-ish plane, just get more motor. You'll be happier in the end.

BTW the big engine gurus (paid magazine writers) and some others have said they only use 10% oil or less. And remember, the glow engine runs on methanol, not nitro. At some point you make a trade for more power and more heat with the oxegenator and reduce engine life. Regardless of one guys anecdotal (sp?) evidence, very high nitro will lessen engine life, there is no way around it.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:42 PM
PAR

Hey Gordo
The theory is that when you change nitro content, the temp. in the combustion chamber changes, thereby affecting the expansion rates of the piston and liner. When using higher nitro fuels it is commonplace to add a head shim or two to avoid detonation problems. The pylon guys have been fighting these issues for years.

I also agree with Paul, lower nitro for sport flying. If you need more power ........GET A BIGGER MOTOR
Old 05-08-2004, 09:43 AM

What do you think about novarossi glow plugs? Novarossi makes pretty good engines, so their glow plugs might be as good too. Besides they are cheap too.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:02 PM
My Feedback: (45)

I have been flying for about 20 years and have used many glow plugs, and most often I return to the Fox plug.
Sorry to hear that one was not up to par on your engine, and I sure hope I don't hear about any more mishaps such as yours. They are inexpensive, especially as compared to the OS plugs. My father also used the Fox plugs because of the idle bar under the wire.

I know that a bad experience can ruin your view of Fox, but I would like to let you know that I have never heard of any similar problem.

Take care in Lawton.

SSG James
Tulsa Air Nat Guard
Old 08-06-2004, 05:50 PM
My Feedback: (3)

i run a lot of fox miracle plugs, no problems. the glo devils are good, just bought 2 last month which were the first i've bought in years! the fox #8 is a really good plug (#8 refers to the element alloy, i think). a lean run or high nitro will fry about any plug, but os # 8 or enya a-3 seem to hold up best under high nitro. of course, i run 15%, and if i need more power, i get a bigger engine or build lighter... after 28 years of flying, i got tired of cooking engines by tweaking them too lean, usually run them a few hun. off max rpm on the ground, and plugs last indefinately; haven't changed the one in my saito for months, and the miracle in my s.t. was put in after break in and still going strong. put a sonictronic glodevil in my other s.t. , so far so good. run os # 8 in my norvel 15-25 most times as they scream, but have run others in the 25 also (ask the guys at cookeville about how the 25 ran!). and never blow the head in my .074.

but anyway, not knocking any of these plugs, just trying to help. i would say that the os # 8 and type f (and ys 4-stroke) are really good, but i'm cheap!
Old 08-06-2004, 06:04 PM
My Feedback: (7)

I've run every plug I can get my hands on OS, Tower, Fox, Enya, K&B, etc.. I have never noticed any "significant" difference except it terms of how long they last. Small changes in idle but typically very small. The worst type and cheapest ones I can find last for 2 years no problem. The OS ones will last several years longer...but I wouldn't trust my plane to any plug after several years without replacement. I think discussions about what kind of Glow Plugs are best are kinda like arguing whether you think Ford Trucks are better than Chevy Trucks and visa versa.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.