Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

YS 63 Lost my Muffler is it OK to fly on my Sledge?

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

YS 63 Lost my Muffler is it OK to fly on my Sledge?

Old 04-16-2004, 08:31 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS 63 Lost my Muffler is it OK to fly on my Sledge?

I lost my muffler in flight Sat, and I flew it today, It flew ok, it seems without it.

Can I hurt it, flying the YS 63 without the Muffler?????????

The Sledge gets dirter on ther whole side now but thats all I can notice.

I surley dont want to delay the new found fun I'm getting with the Sledge.

Where would be the best place to get a new Muffler for the YS 63, Central Hobbies?

Thanks, Dennis
Old 04-16-2004, 08:46 PM
A. Holden

Default RE: YS 63 Lost my Muffler is it OK to fly on my Sledge?

how do you like the YS? I just bought one for my OMP 47" YAK and would love to hear your impression of this engine-

thanks

Alex Holden
Pro Bro #555
[email protected]
Old 04-16-2004, 08:52 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

My friend has one on his OMP 540's kits and Extreme Flight 540 arf's and does great with them. I'm new to mine and had to fiddle much with it using instructions and posting on RCU But I do love it after the adjustments and I like that I can put the tank in wing with out worry on fuel flow as it presurizes the tank.

I did lose the muffler in woods :-(. I guess too many consectuive tight loops unscrewed it. :-)

Will locktight it next time! I thought I did with Bluelocktite.

Good luck with yours, Dennis
Old 04-17-2004, 12:29 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: Dennis Tampa FL

My friend has one on his OMP 540's kits and Extreme Flight 540 arf's and does great with them. I'm new to mine and had to fiddle much with it using instructions and posting on RCU But I do love it after the adjustments and I like that I can put the tank in wing with out worry on fuel flow as it presurizes the tank.

I did lose the muffler in woods :-(. I guess too many consectuive tight loops unscrewed it. :-)

Will locktight it next time! I thought I did with Bluelocktite.

Good luck with yours, Dennis
I guy told me to wrap the threads in teflon tape and tighten it down. It works great.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:22 AM
STEVE LENZ
My Feedback: (45)

It must be something with that plane. I lost the back of my muffler deflector. And the fake bullet holes flew off of one side only go figure. And I haven't even gone into high rates yet.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:29 AM
J_R

If the engine is still under warranty, call Performance Specalities. I lost 3 on my .91 and they sent replacements free.

Ultimately, it turned out I was trying to run the engine too fast. Although it was under the red line, it set up a vibration and kept dropping the back half of the muffler. Changing the prop to a smaller diameter, higher picthed one solved the problem
Old 04-17-2004, 12:43 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: STEVE L

It must be something with that plane. I lost the back of my muffler deflector. And the fake bullet holes flew off of one side only go figure. And I haven't even gone into high rates yet.
Yep, I think the little plastic engine mount ain't up to the task of holding the YS steady. My muffler is a blur at a certain harmonic. I'm just about ready to slap and Irvine 53 on there.

FWIW, I clean all my threads with alcohol and red loctite the muffler screws and the muffler tube. Never lost any pieces, but I cant imagine that the muffler being a blur could be good for anything. With my luck it'll bust the tube out of the head.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Balsageek

What!?! You guys actually replace the mufflers on your Y.S. engines!!! After they fall off (usually doesn't take long) I just leave them off since they have a pump. It makes the engine sound really cool.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:13 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

Dave in YS support says it will not hurt the engine but may suffer some performance due to the engine liking some backpressure from the muffler.

Note I said engine not Fuel tank :-).

Thanks, for all your replys and I will Clean with alchol and use RED locktight NEXT TIME!

Thanks, Dennis
Old 07-12-2004, 11:54 AM
dam630
My Feedback: (2)

And I thought you couldn't even fly yet, Dennis.
How can you provide an opinion on something you don't know about?
Old 07-12-2004, 05:18 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I have connected a steel cable tie to the muffler so it can't unscrew. It may get loose but it is unable to turn a full revolution so it can't get away.
Later,,,Matt
Old 07-12-2004, 05:36 PM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

they will run ok without muffler. my flying buddy has an 80" omp w/ 140 that the back half fell off also; it just sounds better. If you ever get a chance, stop by our field in lakeland and fly; several 3d guys here now. you fly at t.r.a.c. or the field off 54?
Old 07-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

Well hello there, DAM 630 Dale Medin,

I don't see where I claimed to be a YS Pro, Nor Pro anything, Just stated my observation of my friends YS's and quoted an answer from YS staff.. If that is what your talking about, Dale.

If you were at the our club Sunday before last 630 p to 830 pm you would have seen my Harriers, Knife edges, Flatspin attempts :-), ect. ect. BTW flying great without the muffler.

Yes I'm still new and now and then a little squirly, but my houses rehab is done and I'm going to be at the field mucho from now on.

Will be there this weekend Sat and Sun, if I don't go to try to see the lakeland flyers.

Dale if you wish, Email me on when you will be at the field, Brandon Models Flyers, if you wish to give me pointers :-). I havent seen anyone yet try to fly 3D ish at our field that were not visiting from a lakeland club that I invited. But I do admit I havent been there much during the house remodeling. I do hope 3D has been is catching on at the field in my absence :-).

WILD FRED, I belong to Brandon Model Flyer's off HWY 60 and I 75 area, Bob/Robert who I think you know at Lakeland has flown here with a young kid and showed us some GOOD 3D flying, something not often if at all seen here in Brandon. Spectators still ask me what were they flying that day :-) I'm just now getting comfortable to try stuff with my Sledge 540. Guess that means I need to get that backup Plane now, probaly be needing it shortly:-).

Thanks, Dennis
Old 07-13-2004, 04:19 AM
wild fred

Hey, dennis! bob is the one who has the 80" omp that the back of muff fell off, and the kid is my son! small world, huh? the boy took my ys53 powered LT25 down there for a trainer fly in, but I had to work. i'll try to get over there sometime, and if you get a chance, come on up!
Old 07-13-2004, 10:30 PM
dam630

Well, I wasn't talking about your engine know-how. I was referring to your flying capabilities. The last time I saw you fly, well, let's just say you couldn't. I was the guy who failed you on your pilots test. You showed absolutely no control of the airplane and refused to let anyone give you any lessons. And now you claim you can fly 3D???
Do you even have ANY idea what "3D" flight means?
Not to mention that nothing you are flying is even remotely able to do any 3D flight.
While I'm sure you can hotdog a few "tricks" and make it look like you are in control, you really should have taken the time to learn from somebody rather than read about it in some magazines and watch a few videos and let yourself think you are doing it.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:33 AM
wild fred

pilot's "test"? what, you make people fly the pattern and grade them? you ought to read your post, it really sounds a little harsh. people who live in glass houses... I don't think I would want any "lessons" from you, either.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:41 AM
wild fred

dennis; you are more than welcome to fly here this weekend, and we won't belittle your flying skills in public, as only a real BUTT MUNCH would do something like that! I won't be there, as I am going to cookeville, but will be there thur. about 8-9 a.m. Bob will probably be there, and there is always the usual guys. just ask them about no-fly zones and such, and have fun! and no one will force "lessons" on you.. unless you ask!

and remember... you shouldn't take swimming lessons from a drowning man!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:19 AM
dam630

We give flying lessons at our field for those who want to learn how to fly. There are many things you can learn on your own, however there is no replacement for the voice of experience.

AND... we require a pilot's test for SAFETY reasons. A pilot must show proficiency, we have had incidents at our field where people show up saying that they can fly and then crash their plane into the pits the first time they try to take off.

A simulator is a great tool for learning the basics of flying, but is no replacement for learning with a qualified instructor. Anything else can create a very dangerous situation.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:27 PM
wild fred

there is no "pucker factor" on a simulator. i usually do the instructing around here, unless my boy trains 'em. as far as crashing in the pits, i have seen a lot more pit accidents from "qualified" pilots than anyone! you know, saw a guy with a h-9 cap one time do a torque roll 30' up; and was 30' out. guess where it hit? took out 2 planes, fortunately no injuries. good flier, bad judgement.

no wants to be a newbie... but if you say you can fly and can't, that's just dumb. and dangerous.

safety... you know, was hovering on the far edge of the runway at a club last month, and a guy came up and asked me not to... the same guy who was flying a guided motor with tunnel vision, who i repeatedly had to evade with my bipe, as he was flying right at it going about 80; i was doing about 50... which one would be more unsafe? but he didn't percieve anything unsafe about what he was doing! of course, there are some unsafe things i think everyone agrees on; flying beyond your abilities, starting big airplanes without helpers, starting/taxiing in the pits, etc. i guess what i mean is where safety crosses over into control.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:54 PM
ChuckAuger

ORIGINAL: dam630

And I thought you couldn't even fly yet, Dennis.
How can you provide an opinion on something you don't know about?
Dig up a 3 month old thread to tell a guy he can't fly.

He never said he was an expert or tried to "provide an opinion" regarding flying. He lost his muffler and asked if it would damage his engine running it without a muffler. Then sought advice from the YS forum, got an answer and posted it here.

I don't know if the guy can fly or not. And I don't care. This thread was never about Dennis trying to come off as an expert pilot, laying his infinite wisdom off on everybody. It was about a guy who lost his muffler (Hotdoggin Freestylers never lose mufflers, maybe??) and trying to get some advice so he would know if it was OK to GO BACK OUT AND PRACTICE HIS FLYING!

For Pete's sake, some of the stuff I see here just boggles my mind...
Old 07-14-2004, 04:11 PM
dam630

I guess I accidently stuck this post in the wrong thread... Sorry, Chuck, didn't mean to use this one.

My only concern is about someone coming out to the field to fly their plane claiming they know how to fly and possibly causing a serious accident.
The last time I saw Dennis fly it was very scary to say the least. Previous posts from him basically said he flew at our field in secret when instructors were not around to try to learn by himself. This is a serious infraction of our club rules AND AMA rules.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:48 PM
ChuckAuger

No sweat, I wondered what the context was. But hey, at least the guy is actively trying to improve his skills! Here's to you both getting in some good flying, with safety for all!
Old 07-14-2004, 04:58 PM
remcl1

Hey Dennis this is Bob from Lakeland,

Good to hear form you. Sounds like you are progressing well. The last time we flew together you were doing great. I did not think you were out of control at all. When you were first learning to fly and I was with you, I thought you did a good job of listening and took what I said to heart. The posts that dam630 refers to have to be well over a year old. I hope you are not listening to him, we need to support each other not rip each other apart. There is no place in this hobby for what I have read in this post. My YS 140 that Wild Fred refers to runs best with just a pipe, but the 63 should have a muffler. There is a 53 at our field that has several muffler-less flights on it, and it seems no worse for the wear, but I saw the same posting that you saw and Dave S said the 63 needs a muffler. I have to go with Dave S, he is the importer and expert on YS. I don't think you should ground yourself waiting for one, but I would get one.

dam630,

You need to be ashamed of yourself. Ripping into Dennis and telling falsehoods about him. First of all if you guys were a little more courteous with newbies they would not try to avoid you. From what I have read, I do not want anything to do with you either. After Dennis failed his flying test with you he came over to our field and flew just fine. His problem was your attitude made him real nervous. This was a long time ago, and you make it sound like it was yesterday. That is just wrong!!! You do not think Dennis got any better since then? I do not buy that you stuck this in the wrong thread, you are trying to save some face. Well too late. Dennis never brought up piloting skills, you did. You unjustly slammed him. Now that you have brought up the subject, you must be a 3D expert in order to critique Denise: lets see what you got. I really enjoy flying with other accomplished 3d pilots. Let me know when you will be out to the field next and I will come and visit.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:32 PM
sloanfs

Not to mention that nothing you are flying is even remotely able to do any 3D flight.

In his first post Dennis said he was flying a Sledge, I cant think of a more capable 3-d bird.
And you would be amazed how much a persons skill level can improve in a year
Old 07-14-2004, 08:49 PM
ChuckAuger

ORIGINAL: sloanfs

In his first post Dennis said he was flying a Sledge, I cant think of a more capable 3-d bird.
And you would be amazed how much a persons skill level can improve in a year
Hell, nothing I do with a Sledge is remotely 3D either, but shoot fire!! At least the guys telling me I suck are my.....buddies......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.