Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Build your own PBF (Pizza Box Flyer, Flying Pizza Box)

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Build your own PBF (Pizza Box Flyer, Flying Pizza Box)

Old 10-16-2002, 01:13 PM
wingspan99
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel 25 source? Bought a Super Custom .36.

What's a good supplier for the Norvel .25's? I like the light weight of that engine. I bought a new Super Custom brand .36BB ABC heli engine on Ebay for $35. It is a cheesy, poorly built engine that came with a muffler for a .46 which doesn't bolt on at all. I'm going to use a MCP on it anyway so I don't care about the muffler, I'll use that on something else. It does seem to be tight at the top end so maybe it will produce some power. I never heard of the brand before, the return address was in Finland. The head was drilled and bolted on about 5 degrees off center. A piece of head fin was missing from the casting. At least it has new bearings and a heli-style carb. I think the big head will be better for hoverbatics. Anyone have any experience with these engines? -Tom
Old 10-16-2002, 01:54 PM
Tattoo

Default Build your own PBF (Pizza Box Flyer, Flying Pizza Box)

What's a good supplier for the Norvel .25's?
http://www.waverc.com
Old 10-16-2002, 02:40 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Another question Dave,
I had read somewhere that you should put a little up in the elerons for the first flights. I did this and then after ten flights I took it out. Since I have taken it out it doesn't loop very well at all. It tends to fall off to one side or the other. Before it would loop on itself. Am I doing something wrong. Do you keep a small amont of up in yours?
Old 10-16-2002, 04:56 PM
archerry
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Guys,

Well I'm just in the middle of building my second PBF, however I'm still enjoying my first. I've got a couple of mods in my new design I think you might like. That's if they already haven't been mentioned... (sorry I haven't got time to read all the threads and postings)

For those who wanted a nice finish on the leading edge.... I found that the wall paneling plastic edge molding, I found at Home Depot, slips on and fits the 4mm coroplast perfectly. I slipped it on so that the 5/16" edge is on top and the 13/16" edge is on the bottom. It also adds a little strength. I also slipped in 2pcs of 1/8" maple dowels in the first 2 leading edge ribs to lessen the flexing.

On this version I'm going with a standard firewall and engine mount so I can hook up a steerable nose wheel on the front and landing gear on the rear end.

I'm going a single piece of 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 20" poplar for the main spar instead of the "tuning fork"

I will include pics when I'm nearly completed.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:39 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's a good supplier for the Norvel .25's?
IMHO, the easiest source of obtaining a Norvel 25 is by whipping Sheepy's and Mr.Clean's butts in rc combat at the 2001 Misery In Missouri combat meet.....which is how I got mine.

The second easiest is ordering one from http://www.waverc.com

rhd,
I have my PBFs balanced at 5.75" to 6" back, but I recommend a first time PBF pilot start out at 5.5" back. At the 5.5" CG setting, the elevons will be trimmed pretty flat with little or no upward reflex. Then use your trim tabs as necessary to get your PBF flying fairly straight. The farther forward your CG is, the more upward reflexed elevon trim you will need.

But no matter where the CG is set at, the PBF isn't really very stable, and therefore always requires constant attention on the sticks. You can trim the PBF for one particular throttle setting at one particular airspeed, but if you change either of those, the PBF will need to be retrimmed in order to fly hands off again. Generally I trim my PBFs to fly mostly hands off in cruising flight, with the nose aimed up at about a 20 degree angle.

As far as why your PBF used to loop straight, and now since you changed the elevon trim it doesn't loop straight.......that by itself shouldn't have made any difference.

Did you change the CG?

Are you using a different prop than before?

Are your elevons are no longer tracking with each other throughout the entire range of motion?

Did you add a leading edge stiffener?

Did you rearrange the radio that might have altered the airflow pattern across the wing?

Did you alter your muffler setup which might have altered the airflow pattern across the wing?

Did your wing develop a severe warp from sitting or crashing?
Old 10-17-2002, 05:20 AM
Graeme Marion

Default Greetings from sunny Q'ld.

I had a request for information on mounting a nose leg on the PBF.

I now consider a nose skid to be a practical and lighter alternative.

But for the benefit of those interested here is how I mounted my nose leg.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	30994_11998.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	11044  
Old 10-17-2002, 12:44 PM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Default Electric PBF?

Electric PBF? Where is the posting on this. I hate to say it but I might have to build one. Our club is kicking around the idea of indoor flying.

Yes Dave I said the EVIL word "electric". I am ashamed. The prez must be getting old and can't take the cold.

Dont get me wrong I still will fly with the weather God gives us. I am a all season flyer

Thanks
Crash99
Old 10-17-2002, 04:48 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Hi Dave,
The only thing I changed was the muffler. It is pointing down and going through a hole I made in the coraplast. Trying to keep the gunk off the radio. It is getting better now. Maybe Iam getting more used to it.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:02 PM
TriadSport

Default Larger PBF

Dave M - you keep repeating that the light 24X24 PBF is the best way to go. To some degree I have to agree as my 24X24 .25 OS FP powered one is a pure delight. However I found in the rubble of my shop a .46 OS SF that I put an 11X4 prop on and built a 28X28 inch PBF to mount it all on. Weight came in at 2lb 12oz and it flys very similar to the standard size. I guess the 36% more surface area is handling the extra weight with ease. I did increase the rear control surfaces to 5" rather than 4" and I used the modified cutouts on the elevators and left the rudder as a full rectangle. Never thought I would see tighter "back flips" than with the 24X24 but I swear the bigger ones are even tighter when given a blast with the 11X4 prop. Has anyone else experimented with different sizes to accomodate different engines? I have an OS .10 FP and a OS .15 FP that I think I will experiment with.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:19 PM
Allen00

Triad, I tried a 16x16 with a Norvel .049 ,but it didn't have enough power. It was 2mil coro and micro electrics. It weighed about 12 oz. An OS.10 would probably work much better.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:53 PM
Tattoo

Has anyone else experimented with different sizes to accomodate different engines? I have an OS .10 FP and a OS .15 FP that I think I will experiment with
We're building them 24" span x 20" chord with .15's for combat. They fly great for bashing around against eachother, but nowhere near the performance of the .25 powered 24 x 24 PBF or 24 x 28 and giggy pack or Postage Stamps.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:51 PM
wingspan99

Default Electric PBF

Crash99 go to page 10 of this thread, you'll see my electric PBF. I think a geared 280 motor would be better for this plane. It was 16" and made of 1/4" extruded foam insulation. Three Naro servos were used for control. I have since dismantled this PBF and installed the hardware on a 20" round disk. The disk is more stable and just as much fun. -Tom
Old 10-18-2002, 12:06 AM
YLF

Default Electric PBF

Crash99,

I had posted some info and pics of my indoor/outdoor PBF in the past;

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...hlight=esquare

I have since built a new slightly lighter one out of 1/4" blue fanfold insulation that weighs 6.5 oz RTF and soon plan to try the twin IPS A motor and Li-Poly batteries for better vertical and duration. I usually keep one in my truck to fly whenever I have some spare time and an open area.

Mikee
Old 10-26-2002, 12:55 AM
archerry

Well, I finally have my second version done, with all the mods I made, mentioned in my last post.

The guys at the field didn't think it would fly due to the way I mounted the landing gear. "There is no room for rotation." Wow, were they wrong. The thing took off in about 5 feet and went straight up! After a little trim and getting used to I was able to do all the same manovers and seemed to perform a little better that my first PBF.

This time I choose red and blue coroplast and decorated it with the Superman stickers.

WAY TOO MUCH FUN!!!!!!! Thanks Dave......!

Name:	32365_11268.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	11045  
Old 10-26-2002, 12:59 AM
archerry

Another Photo........ Sorry Guys I need to learn how to attach many photos to one posting.........

Name:	32366_11268.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	11046  
Old 10-26-2002, 01:02 AM
archerry

And Last but not least..............

Name:	32367_11268.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	11047  
Old 10-26-2002, 01:42 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ron!
Glad to hear your PBF is working out well!

The guys at the field didn't think it would fly due to the way I mounted the landing gear. "There is no room for rotation." Wow, were they wrong.
It's always great to hear how the PBF continues to confound the local "experts".
Old 10-26-2002, 03:32 AM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Hey Ron.... What field do you fly at??? I'm due to be down in California in a few weeks and I'm gonna bring a pizza box....
Old 10-26-2002, 02:21 PM
archerry

Default Circle City Flyer's - Delano Field

Hi Paul.

Sure, that would be Great!

Hey Ron.... What field do you fly at??? I'm due to be down in California in a few weeks and I'm gonna bring a pizza box....
I am with the Circle City Flyer's - Delano Field. Our field is about 10 miles south of Corona, just off of hiway 15.

To get to it, you need to go south on hiway 15 towards San Diego. About 10 miles south of the 91 freeway / 15 junction (in Corona) you will see Temescal Canyon Rd. Get off, turn left and go back under the hiway. Temescal Canyon Rd will curve around to the left. You will see a cement pipe factory on your right. Take the first right and the first right again (this will take you behind the factory) Follow this road (goes from paved to dirt) and it will curve to the right then around to the left (following the hillside). As you come around the hillside you will see our field on the left as the road opens up to the canyon. We have a paved runway with a large car port shelter.

I will give you my phone number a better directions in a private message if you like. My e-mail is [email protected]
Old 10-26-2002, 11:15 PM
dogwspts

Default PBF Modifications

Box flies great !!!! Hovers and lands like a Pogo Stick. Made a slight modification. All servos, control rods, reciver and fuel tank are inclosed in box over spine. Box measures 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 13 inches. Light 1/8 ply and 1/8 balsa sides and top. Also slightly inlarged to rudder and vertical stabliser. Balanced at 5 1/2 inches fron leading edge. Stable as a rock. Will send pictures we have made several for Club members at Hampton Roads Radion Control
Club in Suffolk Va. This adds a hole new meaning to rc flying . Powered by a Thunder Tiger 42 fp with 11x4 prop.

Kenny
Old 10-28-2002, 02:40 AM
jsonin
My Feedback: (4)

Default Thanks guys!

This is my first PBF and already a half-dozen club members are clammoring for coroplast sheets (so I've ordered another 24 sheets from harborsales... the first 8 I ordered are already spoken for).

Thanks guys for posting the plans and flicks. What a riot! We'll post some video shortly (hopefully in the next two weeks) including on-board video from a Morris Sudokoi taking pictures of the PBF while hovering/flying/goofing around.

PBF equipment: OS 25 FSR (I hope that's enough... it's 15 years old!), hitec 225 servos except on throttle which is a hitec hs-81, unused but old Futaba 600 mah battery, sullivan 6 ounce fuel tank, and a hitec slim receiver.

Thanks again,
Juhan

Name:	32699_3582.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	11048  
Old 10-28-2002, 02:54 AM
ifly2

Has anyone tried filling thr Flutes with expaning foam to stiffen the PBF a bit? I think it would help, if you and get them full. It should not add mujch weight either.

Just a thought..

Les
Old 11-17-2002, 03:56 AM
upperking
My Feedback: (1)

I flew my first 24X24 with a os 32 sx today and it flew ok
but i would set it to idle and it still would climb and was crusing way to fast
it seems to not want to fly at nose up very well but flies strait forward just like a normal plane unless you nose down a bit and it darts strait down scaring the crap outa me..

my CG is 5'' back but i cant figure out why it likes to fly strait and level

wierd thing happend it was 50 feet up and went into a nose dive and it wouldnt recover.. buried it in the ground
so i built a second
flys just the same as the first
doesnt fly well with nose angled up.
im afraid to bring it to close to the ground cause its so unstable
Old 11-17-2002, 05:18 AM
tailspnr

That seems a little odd. I fly mine at 6" CG and it hovers/harriers very well. Maybe you need to move your CG back. My friend "Nobody" flies his a little further back on the CG and his is even more stable in forward flight than mine and his hovers/harriers very well too.

As far as it climbing at an idle you may need to slow down your idle. And what prop are you turning? It needs to be a 4 pitch prop. If you are turning a 6 pitch then you will definately have problems slowing it down. I can fly mine with a 10x5 but I prefer a 10x4.

And keep in mind that when your slow high alpha flying it requires a lot of rudder input as it is very unstable in high alpha slow turns. In order to harrier around I find that I turn it more with the rudder and have to use alot of opposite aileron to keep it from tipping over. Definately a four channel hands on all the time kinda plane....but thats the beauty of it. And you know... I shouldnt say all the time. When the winds are calm mine is trimmed out to harrier hands off.....rock steady. But trimming one out takes a little patience and trial and error. And they can usually only be trimmed for either slow high alpha or forward flight.

Good Luck.

Scott K
Old 11-17-2002, 05:23 AM
upperking

im using a 9X6 prop
ill try that turning with aileron opposite from rudder, thats good to know because this thing flips like a dime..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.