Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Build your own PBF (Pizza Box Flyer, Flying Pizza Box)

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Build your own PBF (Pizza Box Flyer, Flying Pizza Box)

Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Build your own PBF (Pizza Box Flyer, Flying Pizza Box)

ORIGINAL: Clean

Kay, nother question there Boss Man Dave.

Qhor with a 40fp and mouse. Would you put it on the original size one or the 40 size one?
Neither. I'd put it on this one........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31364.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1474401  
Old 07-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Clean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Printed off Might have to find the wire. Do you have the photo link of the your landing gear? I can't remember what size wire you used but it's basically v'd back then bent down and out for each leg and a wire tie and such to hook it to the motor mount.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Dave McDonald

ORIGINAL: Clean

Printed off Might have to find the wire. Do you have the photo link of the your landing gear? I can't remember what size wire you used but it's basically v'd back then bent down and out for each leg and a wire tie and such to hook it to the motor mount.
Here's a photo of the landing gear on one of my McDDDs. Start with a 20" piece of 5/32" music wire. Make the "V" bend in the middle, then the other bends as needed. I used Goldberg landing gear straps but zip-ties though some holes would probably work just as good. Nothing is critical, except the prop shouldn't touch the ground when the plane is sitting on the landing gear. The wire gear works MUCH better than aluminum strap mainly because the wire gives and bends instead of the fuselage rail bending before the aluminum strap.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57670.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1474654  
Old 07-31-2010, 12:46 AM
Clean

OK, got mine done. Needs some color but I didn't do anything like that yet as I didn't have 4 mil coro I only had 3. Oh, I THOUGHT I had 4 mil, had the piece all pulled out and ready then opened it up to find a big hunk of it missing (it was a sign). But I had 4 or 5 3 mil signs. We'll see how that works, I'll also have to go get some smaller re-inforcement wire, 1/8 inch won't fit. I'll go buy some tomorrow after test flying like this. Forgot to weigh it. Get pictures tomorrow too.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:12 PM
Clean

The pull pull thread was too floppy for my rudder. My Vertical may actually have been the problem it was floppy too. I stiffened that up. The gear ripped right off with a light landing so instead of using wire ties I swapped up to those gear clips. Since I was at the hobby shop and noticed some flex of the 3 mil wing I got some CF rods and stuck those in. Everything is ready for another try tomorrow.

It was a lot more floaty than my PBF. I also don't have a decent prop for the PBF right now. Don't have a supply of 10x4's and really would like a 10x3 as a good 10x4 is too much thrust. I had one of those NEW MA 10x4's that are all noise and an old Kavan 10x4 that was just right but the old MA's or APC 10x4s have way to much high speed thrust.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:57 PM
Dave McDonald

Looks good Mr. Clean!

The stretchy upholstry thread works great for the pull-pull rudder on a PBF, but DO NOT use it for a pull-pull rudder on the Qhor type planes. On the PBF the Kevlar thread and Spiderwire kept breaking where the upholstry absorbed the shock. Kevlar thread, wire cable, or Spiderwire might work OK for a pull-pull on the Qhor type planes, but I never tried it. A pushrod is easier, and the weight doesn't really matter.

My favorite prop for a TT 42 GP w/MCP in a PBF is the Master Airscrew 10x4. The 10x3 made lots of noise, but didn't really seem to pull well. The 11x4 works OK, but the spool time is too slow for a PBF. The APC 10x4 works good, but it's too fragile. Same for any other APC prop. Which brings us all the way back to the MA 10x4.

But the best prop for the TT 42 GP w/MCP in these Qhor type planes is the Master Airscrew 11x4.

Too bad the zip-ties didn't work out for the landing gear. They would have been a cheap and easy alternative.

To cure the floppy fin, put some short pieces of bamboo skewers inside the flutes where it's screwed to the U-channel. That will keep the coroplast from smashing down and losing it's rigidity.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Clean

I cut a corner section of American PVC to fit in the channel and that extends about an inch taller than the channel. Then I screwed through the channel and used a two little backers to screw through and firm it up to the vert. Its heavier than bamboo I'm sure, but stiffened it up quite a bit. We'll see how it works tomorrow.

It's possible that I have a pipe in the PBF's mouse can. It's also possible that I suffered from weird winds today, it sure was harder to fly. Then again, there was nothing for most of my time at the field, then there was some, but it kept shifting. I did end up with an APC which did take longer to spool up. I stuck a 10x4 wood prop on. It spools real quick but that made it zip too quick as well. Stupid hobby shops around here have NO 10x4s. They do have 10x5's. Looks like an order from Tower is in order. I really liked the Kavan orange 10x4. I suspect it was light enough to spool up and rubbery enough to flatten out and lose some of the excess thrust. I could tell the difference between LIGHT wing loadings and my some what more substantial PBF. I do have a 25 LA, maybe a GP somewhere. But I don't have any lightweight servos so I don't know if it would help going to the smaller engine.

Oh I'll get it all sorted out.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Clean

Ahhhh successs, sort of. The PVC stiffened the tail up. This thing flies like a PBF trainer, easy doin. Had a 10x4 on it and the motor just died at 15 feet. OK, now I don't have a 10x4 on it. But the tank was pretty empty. So I flew my PBF and as I didn't HAVE any 10x4's I put a 9x4 on it. That tamed it down quite a bit and I actually hovered for quite a bit, but I also had problems with it. Still, great first flights. So I mowed a bit more came back and flew my sport plane, which acted a little funny but as it runs full out most the time I didn't have much problems. Back to the coro. The engines are just dieing right and left. What the heck? Finally look at the fuel tanks. Pink milkshakes. Must be the atmoshpere today because that was the same symptoms on my sport plane.

NEVER had this problem with Wildcat fuel but one of the guys I was hosting at SPADfest won 2 gallons of fuel. My DPS shows the difference by burbling while low speed flying. Got home, shook the jug, milkshake, squirt with armour all, no milkshake. Will try again.

Actually I might just go buy a new gallon of Wildcat and pour this pink junk on the weeds.

McDDD flew great although my batterypack punched through the leading edge on the 3rd nose down impact from 15 feet, something it excels at when the engine dies nose up.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:50 PM
jmccartney

clean is there a website or more infoe on how to build the plane you pictured in the few post before mine looks interesting and a cheap fun flying plane thanks in advance
Old 08-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Clean

This one, the McDDD
[img]{akamaiimageforum}/thumbnails/23878/Ol31364.jpg[/img]

with this nose gear

[img]{akamaiimageforum}/thumbnails/23878/Vt57670.jpg[/img]

Which is all the instructions but is similar to the [link=http://www.spadtothebone.com/misc/spa3dt.htm]SPAD3dt[/link] wing at www.spadtothebone.com
but use Dave's McDDD dimensions and a plain bearing 40 or 42 for power. It's a PBF trainer. Very easy to fly compared to the PBF but using alot of the same techniques.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Clean

Well, my props haven't come in yet so I put an APC 10x3 the McDDD and It was really nice. AAnnndd I got the fuel problem figured out. Did I go buy a different gallon of fuel? No. I looked at the open gallon I had of that awful, miserable, pink junk and even though shaking it didn't make the milk shake like it did, it still ran terrible in my normal planes. You could here it up there sizzling as the plane went buy. So I looked at the gallon, figured about what half of it was AAAANNNND poured that amount of Fox Superfuel into it. I don't know WHAT the percent of all synthetic garbage oil was in the fuel before, but 1/3 of it is now 28% pure AAA Castor. I flipped over twice which killed the engine, a pain because I left my starter at home, but other than that the engine didn't die once. And when I out to pick it up? It wasn't steaming, there wasn't any sizzling. I wasn't getting a sunburn from standing next to it like I was last weekend. Luckily I have a gallon and a half of the Superfuel left AND judging by my Fox35 flying as of late, that's gonna go bad before I get a chance to use it all. So I'm covered for the last gallon of that pink, garbage.

Because I forgot the starter and the PBF is real good about needing restarted, I just flew 3 tanks of fuel through the McDDD after mowing the field this morning. I did 3 tail touches and finally, because a gust of wind came over and I didn't catch it, I broke my 10x3 and put a 10x4 on it. Didn't spool up as fast and made it a bit harder. This was also an APC 10x4 so I bet the MA 10x4 more closely matches the APC10x3.

Hope they come in the mail today.

So, thats it. I won't dominate this thread any longer I'll just get out and practice and maybe see you at the Northern Knights ProBro, whenever that is. Thanks for the plans for these two planes, gonna go wear em out and replace them again and again.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Clean

Okay, one last photo. I am ready to go flying now.

One bag of 12.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:51 AM
thatairplaneguy
My Feedback: (50)

I had too much fun today with my old PBF I had to share the hat cam vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfoE_...ature=youtu.be