Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 AeroWorks 80" Extra w/ZDZ 40 anybody?? >

AeroWorks 80" Extra w/ZDZ 40 anybody??

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

AeroWorks 80" Extra w/ZDZ 40 anybody??

Old 07-12-2004, 07:39 PM
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AeroWorks 80" Extra w/ZDZ 40 anybody??

Just kikin around the idea of putting a ZDZ 40cc on the aeroworks 300L 80" arf. I know thats a lot of motor but I really don't want to have a glow engine.

I would like to hear some thoughts on the idea.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:56 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: AeroWorks 80" Extra w/ZDZ 40 anybody??

I have a ZDZ 50NG mounted on a Hanger 9 80 inch CAP 232 and I love it. The airplane weighs 14.9 pounds ready to fly without fuel. I believe the ZDZ 40 on this size airplane would be a great combination. My ZDZ 50 turns Zinger 22-8 at 7200 rpm which gives me about 32 pounds of thrust and I fly most of the time at 1/2 throttle or less. The reason that I chose the ZDZ 50 over the ZDZ 40 is the engines weigh almost same.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:06 PM
My Feedback: (10)

I am installing an OPS 30cc, which has been converted to/by CH, with a tuned pipe. It will turn a MA 20X10 over 7k. CH posted 6.5k w/o pipe with the same prop as the result of their 'as shipped' test.

I bought this almost brand new, all assembled Extra at the LHS for $165. The guy had an OS 160 on it and did an excellent job assembling the plane. Wing and tail incidents were right on, fiberglass landing gear, 4-40 rods, etc. After reading some of the posts here, I decided to cut into the balsa area right ahead of the wing leading edge. The posts were right in that it's all balsa (1/8") here. My OPS would shake it to a point where the balsa will shatter. On top of that, the trailing edge of the landing gear rests on balsa. There are already two compressed lines on the balsa indicating that the gear had flexed enough backwards to have caused them.

I am adding lite ply to beef it all up. It was very easy to remove the balsa strip covering the top portion of the front fuselage between the engine and the faked canopy. I am inserting ply doublers and gluing them to the balsa. The new doublers will solidify the sides and hopefully take the engine shakes back to the wing spars, which are quite strong. I will do the landing gear area the same way.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:02 PM
My Feedback: (6)

You could go electric like I did ! I have a Himax HB3630-1500 in a MEC Monsterbox geared 5.56:1 turning a 20X11 APC E prop 4900 RPM's on a 6S2P Pack of 2000 Kokam's ( 24 volts @ 48 amps ). I am getting around 13 pounds of thrust on a 9lb. plane ready to fly ! Mine was a kit built before the BARF came out though. I can hover at 2 clicks above half throttle and it takes off in a matter of feet and will float forever power off ! I will never have to tune a glow engine again ! LOL !