Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Have you all gone through this stage?

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Have you all gone through this stage?

Old 07-14-2004, 08:30 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you all gone through this stage?

I have gotten to a point that I can't get through a tank of fuel anymore without at least one turfing! I'm doing a lot more down low and doin the keykey stance making room for the big ba**s. I had plastic gears in my rudder servo of my FF Taco and went though three sets in two days. They were very low harriers and I was getting cross****ed transitioning back and forth from inverted to upright. I turfed my Burrito the other day twice attempting torque rolls down on the deck. Why does it always stop torquing belly in?[&:] It's a good thing Pauly make some sturdy planes I was out playing with my e-sledge and turfed it more times that I could count. Those are kinda expected though.
Have you all gone through this? Am I gonna get over it soon? I don't think I can abuse my 65" Yak this way without more major damage. I hadn't been able to find a YS110 for it till this evening. One's on the way! WooHoo!!!
later,,,Matt
Old 07-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Spastic

Default RE: Have you all gone through this stage?

went through the same exact thing i was repairing more than flying abuot 2 months ago.. i think i got it out of my system, knock on balsawood, cross your fingers, kill a black chicken, drink goats blood....
Old 07-14-2004, 08:47 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

I've disintegrated a ChuckFlyer and am on my way to destroying one of those indestructable foam planes. Beats me, but I'm gaining on it, full left aileron to get out of those belly in torque stoppers is all I can tell ya.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:58 PM
sloanfs

Dont feel so all alone Matt, Ive broke my EF in half 4 times since Albany
Old 07-14-2004, 09:05 PM
TERMAGATOR
My Feedback: (2)

Matt
the stage your going thru now is normal, in fact, its on the map.....you have to travel this road to cross bridges to the"other side"[8D]

you could take the "ferry"...but I let sloan tell you bout that
Old 07-14-2004, 09:55 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

I hope a lot of thigs are phases.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:56 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

I don't turf my planes! I don't crash at all unless someone else runs into me! Must be a problem with all you other guys!

Matt if you notice even guys who are really good turf a plane now and again. Kind of makes you feel better to know your not the only one huh?
Old 07-15-2004, 12:27 AM
PAR

Haven't hit this stage yet...still practicing. But if its a sign of getting better I guess I should look forward to it?
Sounds like a good reason to expand the profile fleet.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:53 AM
lomcevek1

So really the more you crash the better you are?? HMMM I need to get to work.

Does it take more skill to dork a plane without damage?

Would you rather just gently crack your plane so that it gets heavier or so you prefer to just destroy the whole thing in a violent fireball??

Is that why profiles are so easy to build so that we can up our skill level??

Does flying an indestructable SPAD make you less of a pilot??
Old 07-15-2004, 02:59 AM
777M8

This is why I call it 3D SURVIVAL...
Old 07-15-2004, 07:27 AM
wagas

So what stage in a Pro-Bro's life are you at when you and your buddy TRY and Hit each other?

And what's funny is when me and my buddy take off with our profiles every body else lands and gets out the lawn chairs! HHmmmmm What does that mean?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64079.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	153888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68463.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	153889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85239.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	153890  
Old 07-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Jim D
My Feedback: (8)

About a year ago, some hard flying 3D profile pilots from the Henderson KY club were at our fly-in. Rudder draggin', grass caught in the elevator hingeline, low 3D madness, good people and good pilots.

In the conversation, one of them tells me this little piece of the truth that stuck with me. 'If you are gonna get down and dirty, your gonna bust a few planes up along the way'.

Like Gator said, it's the bridge you gotta cross to get there, wherever that may be? Leave it to sloan to find the ferry. Auger probably told him where it was No wait, he said 'ferry' not 'fairy' which is the subject of auger's real expertise.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Quicker

EF Edge went in 4 times in 45 minutes Tuesday. Only damage was a buste prop and I knocked the rudder off. Burrito went in 6 times in 1 hour last time out. The battery broke loose and busted a rib. If I ain't on the deck I ain't having fun. The 1st time my wife was out with me when I was low and I put it in she yelled "Oh, NO!!! You're plane!!!" I'm laughing my butt off and scream "SWEET!!! That was so cool!" She thought I was nuts until I started explainging to her.

I did find a field that has 3 foot high broam and weeds. It saved my rudder on the Burrito when I decided to do an inverted flatspin at 15 or 20 feet. having that cushion makes me feel I can do anything

I didn't know it was a stage. I just thought this is the way it is!
Old 07-15-2004, 01:58 PM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

yeah, a phase; once you can handle the plane, you start getting low, and stuff starts happening that wouldn't in ordinary flight; torque rolling in the wrong direction while backing, sudden eddies of air close to the ground, just weird stuff. again, it is just more recognition. after you see it a few times, you learn how to react. but stuff gets broke now and again.

The henderson guys (and girls) are awesome! they definately aint skeered! flew with them many times. they can really fly. and combat! we have flown through each other many times. and if you were there a few years ago, you could watch keith t.r. his phaser low; the one that had been epoxied back together so many times the fuse had a knot of epoxy behind the wing!! gotta pay the dues to get good!
Old 07-15-2004, 02:14 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

He said, "Really? Iwould think you'd keep it high and safe if you liked it!" Stupid Circle flyer, Poser Bro, Fag.
HAY!! Oh, never mind, that was someone else. [8D]
Old 07-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Jim D
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: wild fred-RCU

The henderson guys (and girls) are awesome! they definately aint skeered! flew with them many times. they can really fly. and combat! we have flown through each other many times. and if you were there a few years ago, you could watch keith t.r. his phaser low; the one that had been epoxied back together so many times the fuse had a knot of epoxy behind the wing!! gotta pay the dues to get good!
I'm glad another Bro is familiar with the Henderson bunch. Keith, Tina, Harold, the whole lot of em fly as hard as anybody you will ever see. And they are definately not afraid to plant one on occasion trying something faster/lower/wilder than the last time. That Fazer of Keiths was on is VERY last leg at our fall meet last year. But he just kept puttin the CA to it and going back for more.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:33 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

ORIGINAL: Jim D

ORIGINAL: wild fred-RCU

I'm glad another Bro is familiar with the Henderson bunch. Keith, Tina, Harold, the whole lot of em fly as hard as anybody you will ever see. And they are definately not afraid to plant one on occasion trying something faster/lower/wilder than the last time. That Fazer of Keiths was on is VERY last leg at our fall meet last year. But he just kept puttin the CA to it and going back for more.

Henderson Ky is just across the river from Evansville. If I hadn't ever seen Larry Barnes fly his barnstormer ultimate I prolly wouldn't have ever gotten into RC airplanes. He did a demo at the warbird flyin several years ago, that just amazed me. Since then I have gotten to know several of the Henderson bunch and fly with them occasionally. Good people. Tina, and her Husband Jim own Flying Z hobbies which has to be the best hobby shop anywhere. Anyway I just thought I would chime in to.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:29 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one, although some of the uninitiated at my field do think it is rather strange when I bust out laughing and hollerin' when I turf one Of course dang few of them can walk over to their plane hook up the glow starter and flip it off to fly again after they dork one of theirs!
Later,,,Matt
Old 07-15-2004, 07:50 PM
rcam

ORIGINAL: wagas

So what stage in a Pro-Bro's life are you at when you and your buddy TRY and Hit each other?

And what's funny is when me and my buddy take off with our profiles every body else lands and gets out the lawn chairs! HHmmmmm What does that mean?
Damn, sounds (and looks) like 3D combat
Old 07-16-2004, 03:36 AM
SBR_RV

gordo, iam still a circle flyer but dont worrie, the sledge is on the way (covering prosses).
Old 07-16-2004, 08:59 AM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Wow, I'm with Gordo, I thought this would never end. I have beat my poor foamy and my way too cool Mini 3D half to death. There is nothing like a surprise torque with the rudder all but on the ground to get the heart pumping.

Also, my KE is getting pretty low. I was flying with Shane last Saturday, and he was hovering at about 15 feet up. He was a little rusty... Anyway, I got a bit cocky, and started doing KE passes under him. Then, on a bailed hover, I ended up KE at about a foot up. The Katana is really good at KE, so I just held it. There were cheers and lots of claps. I don't think anyone noticed the steady stream or urine running down my leg.

Oh well, live and learn. It's good to hear I'm heading in the right direction...
Old 07-16-2004, 10:06 AM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Man... I'm in a stage like this right now... After loosing my job, my mind just isn't right.... I've turfed my EF, by Sledge and I've got someone elses turfed bird in the shop for repairs.....

Just one of those things... gotta last thru it.. Maybe I need to drink less coffe...
Old 07-16-2004, 10:28 AM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that you're not pushing the limits hard enough until you get to this stage...... Monday night, I hovered my Burrito into the corn and managed to hang it in the corn, still runnin' until I got about 20 ft from it..... I also managed to bust the horizontal loose on my yellow Edgeling that same day on a (really) crooked rudder tap. A few drops of CA and I was back in the air.

Good news is that I think I have now conclusively proven a thought that Matlok passed to me "Your airframe will be less damaged if you dork it hovering or harriering from 1ft instead of from 15ft." Too bad it took several busted planes to prove this to myself......
If you are hovering at 15 ft, you're doing yourself a disservice---Get it down on the deck!

Frank, howz this for a low KnifeEdge! (thanks to Johntheroadie for the pic)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46873.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	154184  
Old 07-16-2004, 10:32 AM
buildflycrash

I got to get some profile attitude at my field. I also love it when I can turf it in and fly it a minute later but the circle flyers look at me like I'm crazy. My Taco was almost broken in half behind the wing last week the only thing holding it together was the covering and the FG spar, I flew it two more times
Scott B
Old 07-16-2004, 12:05 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Jeremy, that's quite the KE.

As for the less damage from a lower hover, I also believe that to be true. The last doink my Mini took was low. From about 3 feet up, it flopped to the belly, and hit right on the nose. I ran it bone dry in a hover! I didn't even break a prop. The time before that, I harrier flopped it in from about 6 feet, and broke the motor mount off, broke the prop, and cracked the fuselage.

Perhaps with this in mind, the AMA should pass a rule saying that all hovering must happen within a wing span of the ground, as it is safer???????

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.