Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Burrito build

Old 07-17-2004, 08:38 PM
lomcevek1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burrito build

I finally brought out the Burrito to get to building and I can see why it is reputed as being durable. I was thinking about making this one with removable wings so if I hear another comment about "How ugly profiles are" I can remove the wings beat him unconscious replace the wings and go fly. He really did get beat with an ugly stick.

There will be pictures posted later after I take a few.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:37 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Burrito build

lomcevek1,
Thought you might want to see what my wife considers The Ugliest Stick! Course beating someone with an 86" wing might prove to be a problem. It flys with a 120 Enya 4 stoke.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97804.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	154643  
Old 07-17-2004, 09:56 PM
Quicker

That's so freaking ugly it's cool!
Old 07-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

ORIGINAL: lomcevek1

I was thinking about making this one with removable wings
That'll be interesting. How would it work with the CF Rod through the fuse?

Best building kit bar none IMO!! You'll enjoy it!!
Old 07-18-2004, 01:19 AM
beergator

You are going to love this plane. It can do everything, and it does it so well, and so easily that it will make you look like a better pilot. Great build - even better plane.

Beergator
Old 07-18-2004, 01:24 AM
PAR

Looking forward to seeing your solution to the CF backbone -removable wing problem.

The burrito is a great building kit and fun to fly plane, the removable wing would be a nice addition.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:04 AM
lomcevek1

Actually I was kidding about the removable wing. I just figured it would be easier to beat the next person who says that these profiles are ugly

Holding that CF rod I mean that could be used as weapon. Has anyone ever even broken the rod?? You would have to hit the ground HARD to even scratch it.

BTW The FF-Taco is almost finished.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:30 AM
rcam

ORIGINAL: lomcevek1

I finally brought out the Burrito to get to building and I can see why it is reputed as being durable. I was thinking about making this one with removable wings so if I hear another comment about "How ugly profiles are" I can remove the wings beat him unconscious replace the wings and go fly. He really did get beat with an ugly stick.

There will be pictures posted later after I take a few.
the only thing I have ever seen accomplished by converting to a removable wing is to make the plane heavier. a prime example of a removable wing ruining a plane by making it too heavy is with the original .40 sized Hots.

of course being heavier would make it better for beating someone unconscious.

rcam
Old 07-18-2004, 06:31 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

I'm convinced we would know if anyone broke that rod!!!! That's a beast of a plane from the STRENTH point of view!!!
Old 07-18-2004, 10:10 PM
PAR

Haven't tested the strength of the C-F rod yet, But I know its just a matter of time.

I was just hoping to be able to get more than 1 profile in the car at a time. Maybe I'll get a Taco to fill the space I got.

Never been real concerned about what other people thought.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:43 AM
lomcevek1

Well not more than ten minutes into the build I made the first mistake!!

While building the wing spar I used 1/4 x 1/4 hardwood for the spar doubler, instead os 1/8 x 1/4. Well I am not going to cut them apart so I just made the cutouts a little deeper. I will try to pay attention to details a little more. I mean it's not like it was printed on the plans and the instructions [:-]
Old 07-21-2004, 08:42 AM
coveredup
My Feedback: (1)

Are there any tips on getting just the gear from the servo to stick out on the bottom of the wing? I had to butcher the bottom of my plane to get the surfaces to swing without any rubbing. There must be some trick to this. Any suggestions? I am using hitec 5625s and regular 625s.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:08 AM
Burrito Bandito

Not Exactly sure what you mean, but here goes:

If you are talking about the output shaft of the servo, here's what I do. Dry-fit the servo's in the wing one at a time. I remove the servo arm and replace the screw in the output shaft. Once the servo is in place and you are sure that the screw holes line up properly on the servo rails, just press down a little and make an indention in the sheeting with the screw that is still in the output shaft. After you have done this for all four servo's, take a T-pin and poke it through the sheeting.

Next, I take my Dremel with a cone shaped sanding/grinding bit and go up through the bottom, rounding out the hole as necessary to get the proper fit. With JR servo's, there is a raised portion just below the bottom of the output shaft and on top of the servo deck. I always have to make the hole in the sheeting large enough to accomodate this hole or the servo will not seat properly on the rails. With Hitec servo's this has not been a problem. I do this before covering, and everything seems to come out clean. After the wing has been covered then just make some X slits in the holes and use your iron to seal the covering on the inside. Viola!....no fuss no muss.

Hope that's what you were looking for and that I made a little sense.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:47 PM
coveredup
My Feedback: (1)

I think I may tear the bottom sheeting off and re-do mine. I was in a hurry to get it in the air, so I just cut holes where it scraped. I never even looked at the tops of the servos to see if there were any protrusions (good point).
Old 07-25-2004, 07:40 PM
lomcevek1

Sanding the TE has always been a problem for me as I will almost always sand into the ribs as well as never get TE sanded well. This one just kinda clicked and I had this idea I lay the sanding bar as shown and sand until the TE matches the contour of thatone rib. It will leave a cutout if you will but I will take care of that later. Do the same to the next rib and then sand to match what is in between. The result a perfectly shaped TE piece. Progress is slow as I can only build on this one before work so it's all about getting my lazy ass out of bed and showing up early enough.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47672.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	157210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87408.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	157211  
Old 07-25-2004, 10:35 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Looks good Lom... I like your idea of using the sanding block for doing your trailing edge... I've always used a razor plane.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:39 PM
methanolmaniac

Although, I realize this is an OLD thread I've got some questions about the build. I should mention that this is the 2nd kit i've put together, the first was a trainer. Since then i've crashed a few ARF's so its time to learn a little aerobatic flight, before cracking up another ARF. I muddled my way through the wing, it isn't pretty but will probably fly. Can I ask that you post some close up pictures of the wing especially the servo area before covering it. Perhaps it would be nice to have some pictures of the center rib BEFORE assembly, as I was left hunting and guessing which parts made up the center rib's mysterious interior. (I took a picture of this if you want to just include it with your pics)

I'm now working on the ailerons, my question is how to assemble them to account for the 1/4" balsa trailing edge and 3/8" leading edge. By this I mean, do you just lay the 1/4" on the building table, and contour only one side, or do you go through the bother of trying to elevate/center the leading edge and then taper both top and bottom of the control surface. I think that's it for now.

Thank You,

Mark
Old 02-01-2011, 07:46 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Don't sweat the difference in the aileron's. That would only matter if you had 90 deg of travel in both directions... Just build 'em flat on the plans and then sand the cross pieces so that they taper from the leading edge to the trailing edge.

You can find more build pics [link=http://swanyshouse.com/Burrito/construction.aspx]here[/link]
Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 PM
methanolmaniac

Paul,
Thank you for the quick reply! It's been a busy week and as usual the plane takes the hit as far as time goes. (Gotta keep the wife happy, or she won't buy me anymore planes) I've got the ailerons done, just need to put the hinging surfaces on the wing and ailerons and move onto the fuse.

This is the picture I was looking for on the first step in the manual.

From Drop Box

Ailerons.
From Drop Box

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 02-10-2011, 03:36 PM
flygilmore

Ahhh the Burrito is a great little plane....tough as absolute nails. My nephew learned 3D on one and the stuff that plane shrugged off was just stupid!!!! It is still in flying shape just retired at the current moment.