Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 Build >

Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 Build

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 Build

Old 07-24-2004, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 Build

Having just finished a Senior Telemaster (now THAT is a full box of wood!), I needed something a bit smaller and a bit more fun to fly. I already had an OS 40LA along with a Hitec flight pack for my Eclipse 7, so something in the 40 class should just fit the bill.

I stumbled across the Uproar on a Tower Hobbies online ad. I was ordering some stuff for my Top Flite P47 when I noticed they were having a special on the Uproar for around $35. So I thought 'Why not, could be interesting'.

This thread is a build thread complete with pictures. This one will come quickly, since I've already finished and flown the plane a few times: it just took me forever to get the pictures off my camera and into my PC.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:56 PM

Default RE: Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 Build

Construction begins (like on a lot of other kits) by building the tail feathers. There aren't any die cut pieces on the vertical fin/rudder or the horizontal stab/elevator. They are build from 1/4" x 1/2" balsa stock over the plans. Fillet material is from 1/4" x 1" squares and internal bracing is 1/4" by 3/16" balsa stock. All in all, it took me about 45 minutes to build and shape both sets of tail feathers.

No tricks here, just cut the stock balsa and shape/sand until it matches the outline on the plans.

Total Time: 45 minutes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72921.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	156799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26860.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	156800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22959.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	156801  
Old 07-24-2004, 01:11 PM

Next, construction moves on to the wings. You start by building both ailerons, then both wing halves, then you join the wings together with supplied plywood spar doublers. The wing is perfectly flat, so there are no dihedral jigs or anything like that. Once the wings are joined, then are then sheeted on the leading and trailing edges, along with shear webs and cap strips. The wing is of the typical 'D' construction type.

Ailerons are built from the same stock and in the same manner as the tail feathers: from stock balsa over the plans. Each aileron took 15 minutes to make.

The wing halves are built using traditional means. You pin a spruce spar down, pin down a trailing edge, add ribs over the plans, glue on a leading edge, then add a top spar. The top sheeting is not added until the wings are epoxied together. These wings are very simple: only 16 pieces each. They took me 30 minutes each to build.

Next the wing is joined with 4 plywood strips that go along each of the spars where they join in the middle. I used 30 min epoxy along with clamps for this operation. The only thing you have to be careful of here is that the wing is perfectly flat. Trim the middle spars until the wing sits flat with both the top and bottom spars on each half meet perfectly in the middle (and match the plans). Joining the wings took 30 minutes (not counting curing time).

Lastly, you add the top and bottom sheeting to the leading edge of the wing back to the middle of the main spare. This stiffens the wing considerably. You then glue in balsa sheer webs, and finish off the wing by glueing cap strips followed by a light sanding. The sheeting/finishing took me another two hours.

[b]Total Time: 4 hours, 45 minutes

Name:	Yw68271.jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	156817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39876.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	156818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13491.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	156819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47744.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	156820  
Old 07-24-2004, 01:26 PM

Once the wing is complete, the next step is to build the fuselage. Again, the construction process is very simple: you begin by gluing on plywood doublers onto each fuselage side (making sure you make a left and a right side). Then pin down the right fuselage side to the plans. Then, the fuselage cross formers are put into place. As a nice step, these already have the holes drilled for the pushrod tubes! I used Sullivan pushrods for my build. Once you glue on the formers to the right side (using a square), you then put on the left fuselage side and hold it in place with rubber bands. You can then glue the formers to the left side by flipping the fuselage upright and gluing from the inside.

Next comes the top and bottom cross-sheeting. This is where things can get confusing: on this plane, essentially everything is symmetrical. The top of the fuse is completely sheeted, and the bottom is where access to the radio compartment is provided. However the hatch to the fuel tank is on the top side! So needless to say, you will be building hatches on both sides of this plane. I wrote a 'T' and a 'B' on mine so i could keep it all straight.

One thing I do on all my planes to it epoxy in a square of 2oz glass cloth over the landing gear plate, extending half way up the sides of the fuselage. From my experience this is where the fuselage fails in a bad landing. It is fast and only adds a few ounces to the weight.

I also added this same reinforcement to the firewall area, which seemed a bit flimsy to me.

It took about 5 hours to complete the fuselage, including sanding.

Total Time: 9 hours, 45 minutes

As you can see in the last picture, it's starting to look like a plane!

Name:	Ge96422.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	156833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60310.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	156834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29420.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	156835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42243.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	156836  
Old 07-24-2004, 01:39 PM

Next comes the hardest part of the build: putting in the wing.

The wings is attached permanently to the fuselage, and it slid into place. The fit is very tight! My wing would NOT fit in until I sanded a bit on the holes in the fuselage. Then, you have to inch it very carefully down until it is seated properly in the middle.

Next I mounted the engine and ran the throttle pushrod. From looking at the angle of the muffler on a stock upright engine installation, I could see that it was going to spew burnt fuel and exhaust all over the right wing. So I choose to mount my engine rotated 90 degrees (so the exhaust would be routed underneath the airplane). As I said above, I am using an old OS 40 LA that I yanked out of a Midwest Me109 (a miserably heavy plane, by the way).

Routing the throttle cable is tricky, since you basically have to run it through the front part of the wing (inside the fuselage). I got my hands on a foot long 1/8" drill bit to do this, and glued the throttle cable to the firewall as well as inside the radio bay (using leftover pieces).

I then final sanded the airframe using 300 grit sandpaper, and filled in any holes I saw with lightweight wood spackle.

Here is the airframe finished and ready for covering.

Joining the wing, along with final finish sanding took an additional 4 hours.

Total Time: 13 hours, 45 minutes

Name:	Wu61948.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	156850   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44243.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	156851  
Old 07-24-2004, 01:49 PM

For me, covering is one of those necessary evils I must do to get between the building and flying stage. I'm not very good at covering, nor do I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to achieve perfect finishes. I just try to get a respectable job done.

I covered the movable surfaces in neon blue Monokote, and the airframe is regular white Monokote. I also covered the last two rib bays with the neon blue as well. Fuelproofing of the firewall and tank compartment was done with West Systems epoxy based paint (dark grey color).

Covering took me about 8 hours to complete:

Total Time: 21 hours, 45 minutes

Name:	Sq45635.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	156856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23376.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	156857  
Old 07-24-2004, 02:04 PM

After covering, all finishing details must be finished. I plugged in the radio, using Hitec HS-425BB servos for all controlls (you'll need 5 of them: two for ailerons, once for rudder, one for elevator, and one for throttle). I used a 6oz Sullivan fuel tank in the front.

I also hate stock radio flight pack batteries: I made up a 5 cell pack from Kan 1050 NiMH cells that I had spare. This gives me a bit more flight time over a stock 600 mAH pack that comes from Hitec.

Once everything was together, I placed the airplane on my balancer. With the battery pack behind the fuel tank, it was nose heavy! This was a first for me, since my planes typically come out tail heavy. I found the perfect spot for the battery, which is just in front of the wing leading edge inside the fuselage (theres a small spot there which was just about perfect). Putting the battery there put the CG about 75% back of it's rear-most location, which seemed like a good spot. With a full fuel tank, the CG is just forward of the most-forward position. I also set the throws to their recommended level. For the first flights, I used no mixing in my radio.

Getting everything buttoned up and ready to go took me another 8 hours.

Total Time: 29 hours, 45 minutes

Name:	Fd92795.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	156858  
Old 07-24-2004, 02:06 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Nice work MSabol... Looks like a pretty good job!! How's that big telemaster fly?
Old 07-24-2004, 02:28 PM

First Flight

I weighed the plane prior to it's first flight: 4 lbs, 3 oz. Wing area (according to the manual) is 578 sq. in., giving a wing loading of about 16oz / sq. ft., which is right around some trainer's loading! I also ran a tank through my engine, just to get it 're-broken in'. This engine probably has 50 hours of running time (in other planes), but it had sat in storage for 10 years so I wanted to make sure it would work properly. It started after a prime in about 2 seconds on the starter, which is a testament to OS quality.

First flight was using a 10x6 prop. The engine tach'd at 10,600 RPM when leaned to flight settings (just slightly rich). Takeoff roll was short on our paved runway; minimal right rudder was needed to keep it tracking straight.

This thing is a LOT of fun to fly! The roll rate on this thing is INCREDIBLE! With stock throws, it will roll 3 or 4 times per second, and will do all the textbook maneuvers. The one thing it will NOT do is hold a knife edge, even with full rudder input. I landed and dialed in more rudder throw (to the servo's maximum), but it will still not hold a knife edge. From what I read on other forums, it seems the fuselage just doesn't have enough side area to hold a knife edge flight.

With the 40 LA, it will NOT hover, however it will shoot into the sky quite a ways before it begins to fall back. I'm betting that a 0.46 on this plane will hover it if properly tuned with the right prop.

Landing was predictable: the plane seems to slow down to a comfortable pace when landing. I have yet to experiment with how slow I can get the plane to land, but given the large area of the leading edge it should land much slower that I have been landing it. I am used to warbird flying where you have to fly the plane right to the ground, so letting it float in makes me feel uncomfortable.

A last note: I'll probably have to get some kind of third color on the plane, because with such a high roll rate it is easy to loose the plane's orientation (plus, it's a small plane to being with).

All in all, this project was absolutely worth it! For a 30 hour time investment you can't beat the fun that this plane will give you. If you are better at covering than I am, you can probably get it down under 25 hours. However the airframe builds very quickly: I basically had it together in a single weekend working on it earnestly each day. There are very few pieces, and the die cutting is acceptable for such a cheap kit.

Having the rotated engine is well worth the effort: even after 40 minutes of flying there is only a light coating of grease on the bottom of the plane. In an upright installation, the right wing would definitely be dripping with crud.

I would suggest setting up dual rates because the controls are VERY sensitive on the recommended levels, and if slowed down too much you could be risking an unfortunate snap if you use too much aileron input on landing/taking off.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: PaulSwany

Nice work MSabol... Looks like a pretty good job!! How's that big telemaster fly?
It's a floater! I built it for my father, since he doesn't have the time or space to do it.

The Senior Telemaster is a great platform for modification, and I have made a LOT to mine:

1) Converted wing to sheeted 'D' construction (it was just too flexible for my comfort)
2) Moved servos into the tail for rudder and elevator
3) Converted wing to bolt on
4) Used a Magnum 91 four stroke inverted, with onboard glow power
5) Added flying wire 'braces' to the tail surfaces
6) Use two aileron servo's for 'flaperon' operation

Here's a few pics of it (even though it's not an Uproar). You can see how much bigger it is than the uproar because the picture is taken on the same table as shown in the pics above.

Name:	Lj21950.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	156874   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43506.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	156875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81188.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	156876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74599.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	156877  
Old 07-24-2004, 08:15 PM

Good job !!

My only real gripe about the uproar is the fuselage is weak just behind the leading edge of the wing. If you have a landing that is a little less than less than perfect, the fuselage can break.

Don't count on being able to hover as the stock airplane does not have the authority to recover when it starts to fall out. It is an awesome flying airplane and I had a blast with all seven of mine.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:36 AM
PAR

Really enjoyed my uproar. Really got to be fun when I started moving the CG back. Spins get a whole lot better. BTW nice build.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:07 PM
My Feedback: (19)

I too built, then re-built a Telemaster. On the reincarnation I put in a bomb bay. We take it out to the field only once or twice a year. Power is a .91 4 stroke.

I built the Uproar over the last couple weeks. I maidened it Sunday. These were chosen as the club fun-fly plane and there will be a dozen of them bult this summer.

Name:	Hf98964.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	162189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62852.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	162190