Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Tuff Flight's 4D

Old 09-09-2007, 08:53 PM
roboto65
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tuff Flight's 4D

Well I got mine together and flying today all I can say is cannot wipe the grin off my face hehehehehehehe MAN SO FUN hehehehe got a Saito 82 from one are club members in trade.
I LOVE MY SAITOS had never really Hovered and was doing it for about 10 to 20 seconds on my second flight so easy and proud to say only broke 2 props hehehehehe and not the ones they sent still have one of those. The only thing I broke nonrelated was the crankcase vent nipple on the bottom of the engine hurts more when you fly over asphalt and when the engine dies while you are hovering 20 feet up LOLOLOLOLOL I LOVE the 4D....

Everyone needs a Tufflight 4d in your Hanger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:24 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

That's great news Roboto. Glad you like the plane. Pavement isn't the best surface to practice above, as you know.

Hey Wess, how have you been this summer? Any biplane news? We plan to make it down for Nashbro.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Ultimate99

Everyone needs a Tufflight 4d in your Hanger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cool! Your gona love doing Rollers and Waterfalls. Hint: The 4D waterfalls better than most, just use full down elevator, full throttle and half right rudder.
Enjoy.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Ultimate99

WESSCO, Crash that Plane and burn the remains Immediately! LOL We we se ya in the playoffs (maybe,Go Bosox) GO TRIBE!!!!!!!
Yes, GO, away.

Q: What's the difference between the Boston Red Sox and the Boston Strangler?
A: One chokes only in October.

It will be interesting. (Just swept the Indans)

Nashbro soon.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:38 PM
roboto65

Yeah pavement and planes don,t mix except in the 4D case it is a trooper... I can vouch for the waterfalls and elevators full up and she falling like a leaf LoL. I like to fly around slow listening to the Saito and turning full rudder and heading back the other way she will turn on a dime and flat... So AWESOME have not even broke a nylon bolt yet just some skewers and Props hehehehehe

Thanks Tufflight!!!!!!!
Yeah that would be cool a 4D BIPE hehehehe maybe plan one of those !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:31 AM
roboto65

Well I was out playing and landed flat hehehehehe Pancake more like it and the Elevator tube broke I called the guys at Tuffflight and they told me where to get one and promptly and I mean 2 days prompt sent me another
thats what I call service Thanks Guys I will be getting another soon maybe this time I will take my time and make it look good LOL Need to get some tree spikes to get it out of the trees around the house hehehe she is fine lives to fight another day
Old 09-23-2007, 11:38 AM
We3R/C

Hi, Just Finished building wing, was wondering if anyone has tried to Paint fuse(bat) and Coroplast. Or can I coat them(trim) with ultracoat. I want to add some color for Orientation. Thanks,Mike
Old 09-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Bad Tooth
My Feedback: (10)

I haven't tried to paint my 4D but have tried to paint coroplast in the past. It works, looks nice, etc, but it isn't fuel proof. It just melts away with the exhaust. I don't know what fuel proof paints there are out there?
Old 09-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Bad Tooth
My Feedback: (10)

I stand corrected, this is fuel proof:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEBE3&P=ML
Old 09-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Ultimate99

Some people use Rust-o-lium spray on the coreplast with good results, but it won't last forever. The bat is even worse for taking paint. Bottom line is, if yoour going to fly alot it's simpler to leave it yellow.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:43 PM
planknheli

can anyone tell me what length servo arm`s [ measurement from the screw hole to the hole the string goes through ] to use for the ailerons. seems to me there`s no way to experiment with them once you glue them in?
thanks,
conk
Old 10-01-2007, 12:18 PM
wind junkie

You're talking about the ailerons, right? If you have the Hitec servos, use the big red plastic ones. Anything with about 1 inch distance from screw hole to thread hole will work.

You can easily chip away the CA to change the string position after the plane is built to experiment. it really isn't critical . You want about 45 degrees total throw, so if your servo moves ~60 degrees one way (standard for most servos) then if you use a 3/4 inch arm, you'd want slightly more for the control horn. It's simple to take the ratio for what you want if you know the distances from center:

45 deg / 60 degrees is a ratio of .75, so in the above case the horn would be 1 inch and the servo arm 3/4 inch from centers.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:43 PM
We3R/C

Wind Junkie,
Before I cover my wing, I have a Question: This wing is very Flexy! I have heard from some that the 4d flexes too much to do some aerobatic maneuvers? What if I put Carbon Spar in wing and between fuse attach point and spar? will it help flight of plane? Or maybe strapping tape? or Kevlar string with Ca? Will any of these methods make a sturdy wing without adding undue weight? can i hollow wing center to save some weight (Parallel to the spar)

AM I THINKING TOO MUCH INTO THIS???? Thanks,Mike
Old 10-02-2007, 08:01 PM
roboto65

I can reply to this you are thinking too much the covering will tighten it up.. I have flown mine all over and the only thing that I need to worry about is the covering over the engine plate as I SUCK at covering and probably did not do it right as it is coming off so I will have to redo it hard to get around the corners. But as far as wing flex don,t worry about it and just have fun it is not meant to go super fast it is meant for slow and low manuvers but it will scoot and I have not had any problem with flutter at all!!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:05 PM
wind junkie

Yea, don't worry about it. If you start adding stuff, it will get heavy, fly badly and actually will most likely get weaker than the original design.

The new ones don't flutter if you follow the directions and counterbalance the tail pieces. The wing has never been an issue for fluttering no matter how fast you go.

This design is over 4 years mature and has been continually updated.

For fuel proofing, it may help to add a couple coats of balsa rite (or clear dope) to the engine compartment area after the lexan parts are all glued in place with Goop. This helps the covering stick and stops fuel from spreading into the foam if the covering does get loose in the corners over time (and many many crashes later).
Old 10-07-2007, 09:47 PM
We3R/C

Wind Junkie, your saying Baslarite is O.K. on Foam? or just on the Lexan? I have some, but thought with the M.E.K. it would attack.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:51 PM
wind junkie

Balsa rite is fine on both lexan and EPP. Nothing attacks EPP except too much heat when covering.

We've tried:

Acetone
Dope
Mineral Spirits
Battery acid
Gasoline
Glo Fuel

None of these will phase EPP. It's much different than styrene foams. The trick for a nice long lasting covering job- especially around the engine area is to stop fuel from getting into the seams of the covering and into the 3M77 underneath. Dope is very good for that and it's also very light so you can use several coats and even use it after the plane has been flown a while.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:22 PM
We3R/C

Wind Junkie, What is up with these tail feathers! My Kit came with the "New larger dia. axles" I can't get them tru the coroplast flutes without crushing coroplast! I've tried liquid soap, water, only thing that came even close was heating w/hair dryer,they still have 3" to go! Getting frustated, any tips?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42108.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	779667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63663.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	779668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95473.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	779669  
Old 10-09-2007, 12:34 PM
roboto65

It,s 3/16 carbon rod and it is tight but it will go don,t give up hope LOL I did not have to use anything to make it fit but it is a tight fit !!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Ultimate99

ORIGINAL: We3R/C

Wind Junkie, What is up with these tail feathers! My Kit came with the "New larger dia. axles" I can't get them tru the coroplast flutes without crushing coroplast! I've tried liquid soap, water, only thing that came even close was heating w/hair dryer,they still have 3" to go! Getting frustated, any tips?
What is up with these tail feathers!
I can answer that. We had an unusual batch of coreplast last year that had smaller than normal flutes in it. It is almost impossible to get the CF elevator axel completely inserted into that type of corplast. We no longer use it and we reordered the correct stuff. If you PM me with your address I'll send you a new piece of corplast NC.
Sorry for the trouble.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:55 PM
wind junkie

When did you buy the kit? We've been putting two size sheets in all the kits for about a year now, and one of the sheets has a sticker on it which says to use it on the fuselage (so you won't use it on the tail feathers-- it has the smaller flute size).
Old 10-11-2007, 12:33 AM
We3R/C

Wessco,
na na ,na na ,na na,na na,Hey hey hey.......................GoodBye! GO TRIBE!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Ultimate99

Wessco,
na na ,na na ,na na,na na,Hey hey hey.......................GoodBye! GO TRIBE!!!
Aaaah crap! What a stupid Yankee year. Go Tribe anything but Red Socks.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:39 PM
We3R/C

Well guys been kinda quiet in here,what's up? I got my 4d flying and am lovin it, gettin ready to put ski's on an have some Freezin Fun!! Hey Ultimate,What happened to your Listing on PB?
Old 12-04-2007, 03:14 PM
roboto65

I flew the covering off the front of mine and well the covering is part of the whole thing and busted the foam around the motormount LOL thats OK a little goo and it will all be fine OH and recover the front

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.