Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 Burrito or OMP Edge 540 >

Burrito or OMP Edge 540

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Burrito or OMP Edge 540

Old 08-08-2004, 02:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burrito or OMP Edge 540

Okay, I'm planning on giving this 3D/funfly stuff a go so I need some help from others with experience.

Right now I only have a TT GP42 with which to power such a plane so I'm not expecting the earth, but it would be nice if the chosen model could hover/harrier sufficiently for learning purposes.

I'm a pretty proficient flier and this will be far from my first aerobatic plane.

I tend to build pretty light (although there's not much you can do to change the weiight of a kitset plane apart from going easy on the glue/paint and using lightweight RC gear -- which I have).

I'll probably use an FMA M5 receiver (about 1/3 oz) with Hitec 425BBs or maybe 5245 digitals (1.1oz each) and an 1100mAH NiMH battery (2.8 oz) = total gear weight of about 8.5oz.

Since the GP42 is also quite a bit lighter than the 46BB engines (OS/TT) that most people use, I'm hoping that the weight savings will ensure that performance is at least "modest".

As this represents my "dipping my toes" into the fun-fly/3D waters, I don't really want to fork out any more $ than I have to. If I enjoy the experience then I'll spash out on a TT46pro and really get serious but in the meantime I'd rather use as much of what I have as is possible.

Locally (here in NZ) there are really only two affordable profile funfly/3D planse available at an affordable price. One is the ARF Fun Tiger NZ$250 (heavy and of highly variable quality by all reports) and the kitset SIG Fazer NZ$180 (old and not all that capable it seems).

This means I'm going to have to buy from overseas (the USA) and that leaves me looking at two models that seem quite highly rated. The Burrito and the OMP Edge 540.

So my question is: Which would be the best option?

I see that OMP will freight to NZ for a very reasonable price (other companies have quoted as much as US$60 for freight which makes for an *expensive* total price).

I haven't built a plane from a kit for many years -- preferring to scratch-build (usually to my own design) so I'd also like to know what (if any) hardware comes with these kits -- control rods/clevises/horns/hinges? Wheels? Tank?

Please remember also that the NZ$ only buys 63 cents US (Yep, it's worth even less than the Canadia and Australian dollar :-) so price is also an issue.

It'd also be great if whatever I buy is available from a vendor that accepts PayPal.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:22 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Burrito or OMP Edge 540

hi, both planes ok, you will be pleased with either. the omp rudder a little more nimble, the burrito more solid and controllable, better sink - and a lot stronger. you can paypal a burrito.

425bb servos are enough for both planes. I run 650 nimh packs, very light and not too expensive.

both kits come with landing gear, no tank. burrito gear a neat setup.

have you looked at airbourne models plans in austrailia? I built their 747 a few years ago, I think they have a profile hellcat or something also.

hope this helps!
Old 08-08-2004, 05:07 AM
My Feedback: (21)

OMP accepts PayPal as well, or credit card.

OMP planes now come with stronger version of Tetherite TPP14.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:02 PM

I don't think you could go wrong with either. Just look around here in the various threads and you will see that the folks at OMP have great products and customer service as well. However, as Dave Ramsey says, "If I woke up in your shoes"......

I would go with the Burrito. Here's why:

1.) The Burrito is a little less on the cost side and you mentioned that was a concern in your original message.

2.) Based on your post I'm sure you could build either plane with no difficulty at all. The Burrito uses a very straight forward no frills approach to the build that is fast and quite fun really.

3.) Durability/Repairability. Both planes are close in this regard. I think the Burrito may edge out the others in this area, but I hasten to point out that I have not yet had any experience with the new fuselage materials and construction OMP is now using. From a repair perspective, the Burrito is just TOO easy, cause everything is so accessable. And let me tell you, this plane can really take a beating. I know cause I'm a slow learner (my teachers always had to hit me in school[&:]) the cross-ups and dumb thumb dorks that come with learning 3D are mearly child's play for this plane.

This is just my opinion. Both would be fine for you, I'm sure, and you won't find better people behind either plane. Let's face it, even if YOU don't know it yet, WE all know you're going to be hopelessly bitten by that dasterdly 3D monster. Once you have one, you'll get another, and another, and another, ............ So, statistics show that you will eventually be talking to OMP and Paul. Welcome to the addiction my friend!!

John
Old 08-08-2004, 08:06 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Great two choices...........you cant go wrong with either....I will say the Burrito has made me what I am today......THE PHRASE FOR TODAY
Old 08-08-2004, 08:19 PM
My Feedback: (3)

What a great place to be in. Trying to decide between two Awesome planes. Better than having to settle for the lesser of two evils. Both planes will get you to where you want to go, so my vote will go on looks. I think the OMP Edge is better looking.

I changed the word great above to awesome because it placed a link in the posting when i used the two words great and planes together.