Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 Taco-problems with speed >

Taco-problems with speed

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Taco-problems with speed

Old 08-08-2004, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taco-problems with speed

I have just one question. Today, I have flown my Fat Free Taco for the first time and I realised that it is ver fast even at 1/4 throttle. Is this plane only for flying on high angle of attack?? Or I have done something wrong??
Old 08-08-2004, 04:30 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Taco-problems with speed

The first time I saw a Taco, I was surprised how fast they were. They will really scoot! Throttle back or prop down, sounds like you have plenty of power but aren't using it in the right way.... like a bigger prop with less pitch.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:53 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Mine has a Webra .32 with an APC 9X6 and it goes fast or slow. It can corner well and fly at small fields. I was also surprised at how fast it'll go at full throttle. I haven't programmed spoilerons yet, and I'm anxious to see how it'll respond to that.

JW
Old 08-08-2004, 08:31 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Try pointing the nose up into a harrier and cutting the throttle back some... Should do that exceedingly well.....
Old 08-08-2004, 10:23 PM

Nicest answer Pauly.
APC 10x3 should do the trick.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:50 AM

Guess what. Mine weighs about 2 pounds and is powered by mvvs .21 I use APC 10x4 right now and it has a lot of power!!!! I am thinking of using APC 11x3
Old 08-09-2004, 04:10 AM

Boogie, I think these props too heavy for your .21 engine. Try 9x4 10x3 props. If you can, try to find props with wide blades. By my opinion, TACO fly greater with wide-blades props.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:28 AM
Banned

Excellent work Boogie!! Getting that in at 2# with that motor should be a great combination. I agree with the others, prop it down and work the throttle. I agree with the others also that it's not you, the plane is a bit faster than you expect! Good news is the Taco seems to handle a bit of speed better than most FF planes.

If you're new to 3D it seems strange at first to get the plane into the stall, but you'll get there!! Taco Rules!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:39 AM

First of all thanks everyone!!
Gordo:
I have made about 3 3d-type models before Taco, so I know that I can handle it. I just need to correct everything I have done wrong and work with the throttle.
At about 80% of throttle it goes straight up!!!!! Just amazing. I was scared about the speed because it went into flutter.
I use 1 standard servo for the ailerons, 2 hs-81 for rudder/elevator and hs-55 for throttle. Evrything works really nice.

BTW I encountered another problem I really don't know how to mount the fuel tank. The mount I have right now doesn't work too well and the fuel tank is a bit too long, although it's ver small (4 oz).

Gordo :
What do You mean by saying :" it seems strange at first to get the plane into the stall"

Thanks again
P.S. I will post pictures later.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:18 AM
My Feedback: (45)

Here's how I do the tank mounting:

[link]http://www.swanyshouse.com/tacoff/tacoff42.jpg[/link]
[link]http://www.swanyshouse.com/tacoff/tacoff47.jpg[/link]
Old 08-09-2004, 01:08 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: Bolio

Nicest answer Pauly.
APC 10x3 should do the trick.
I have a Saito 40 turning a APC 12x4 at 9900 and talking about fun. This thing will go vertical and go on and on. The 12" diameter puts a ton of prop wash over the tail but is still fast even with the 4 degree pitch. Using HS-85MG all around and weighing 3.1 lbs, but the engine with the 12x4 puts out 6.2 lbs of thrust. 2:1 ratio. GRRRREEAT........

Spoileron setup works very well, but you only need a little programed in or the plane will do a elevator down so quickly, you won't have time to flip the swtich off. Harriers are great. I like to do inverted harriers 2-3 feet off the ground. Great crowd pleaser. Knife edge is great. Needless to say, hovering is easily accomplished with the APC 12x4.

For those that have 4-strks, try the 12x4 or 11.5x4 (wider blade)