Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

EF 540T questions

Old 08-10-2004, 11:59 AM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EF 540T questions

i'm getting an extreme flight profile edge 540T and i have a few questions:

first, i can't decide between a saito 72 and an os 50 sx with a tower muffler?

second, should i get some carbon fiber gear for it in place of the aluminum?

third, should i use a sport prop or wide blade prop?
Old 08-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Razorback58
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: EF 540T questions

Hey Ben! I have the EF Edge and love it! It took me a little while to warm up to it, but the more I fly it the more that I like it. Mine has an OS .50 with a Tower muffler and the power is awesome! I've also seen others with the Saito .72 on it that were great, so it's just a matter of what you prefer and how deep your pockets are. As for the landing gear, I'm still using the original gear, but it is easily bent. Another case of whether you want to spend the extra money or not. As for props, I use the APC 12.25 x 3.75 and it works great. I hope that this helps!
Old 08-10-2004, 06:26 PM
RSands

Ditto Razor on the motor selection. Definately use a wideblade on either. I'd not buy the CF gear for it unless it's gonna be a hangar queen, go with Tetherite instead. CF will take a couple decent hits then fold. With Tetherite the bolts will break before the gear, and it's springy enough that it absorbs a lot of the shock rather than transmit it all to the airframe.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:43 PM
skythumbs

I have an OS 50 with a macs muffler on mine and love it. Forget the carbon gear, they will crack. I used the stock gear, stock servos except for a 225 on throttle, nicad battery and weights in just under 4 1/2 pounds and flys great.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:47 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

I have mine set up with the Saito .72 and a 14x4 zinger wood prop. Ton-o-Fun
Old 08-10-2004, 11:38 PM
ben beyer

Thanks guys, think i'm going to maybe try the aluminum gear first. As for the engine, got a few weeks to think about that. Probably going to go with the saito but may still get the os.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:02 AM
ben beyer

oh, how big is the fuel tank?
Old 08-11-2004, 07:19 AM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

I am using the CF LG on my Edge without any problem at all! I can't understand the problems outlined here regarding CF breaking, or delaminating, or ??? (I am not sure) That tells me that the there was something wrong with the resin / hardener, or they were not vacuum bagged properly. I've used the Tetherite gear on other aircraft and liked them. I used the CF on this one because they were in the shop when I needed something! I've beat the crap out of my CF gear on this A/C without any problem at all. I've used allot of CF gear without problems.

BTW - watch what modifications that you make in the tail section of this A/C and select your tail servos (weight) carefully. I changed the tail wheel assy. to a DB haige style, and went with heavy servos and a really light engine (Webra 50) with a full length header and tune pipe. This combination and set-up created allot of problems for me to get the CG to the 1" behind the spar that I wanted. I ended up adding a brass spinner nut to the nose to get the CG close, which I don't like adding a brass spinner to anything![] I've also - since - changed the tail servos to lighter servos (digitals), but still haven't been able to get rid of the brass spinner nut.

And BTW - Yeah - Yeah! I still haven't changed my avitar, this A/C has changed my opinion regarding this particular ARF - anyways! <LOL>
Kevin
Old 08-11-2004, 10:53 AM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Either engine is fine, it will be personal preference. The stock gear works but mine for some reason broke pretty easily. I sell the carbon fiber gear and have since replaced my stock gear with the carbon fiber, no problems.
As far as the carbon fiber gear breaking, here is the real story. I have sold numerous sets of this gear, sometimes we have a bad set. They may delaminate for no reason, I have replaced the sets anyone has told me about for free, we are human and sometimes a layup may no go perfect. It is an honest error and we realize that and replace any gear that delams for no reason. With that being the occasional exception, here is the rule, lets say you have a dumb thumb down low and your plane hits the gear and breaks one of the cf legs. That leg breaking probably saved any other damage happening to your plane. What would you rather replace, a set of gear or a fuselage? I have seen my gear break the mounting bolts and still not have problems. Most of the people who break that gear have drilled it incorrectly and that is why it breaks. Sometimes flyers have just piled the plane into the ground and it breaks the gear, well that is to be expected under those conditions. For the above people to put a do not buy recommendation on my gear is somewhat frustrating and I certainly wish that anyone would talk to me first before proceeding. I am not sure they have owned my gear or just talked to someone, but to own it and know it as well as I do is (IMO) the facts. Not trying to attack or offend anyone here, so please do not take it that way. But I will stand behing my CF gear. If you buy the tetherite gear that is fine, Ray has good gear and it will take a beating, and I have seen them break too. So there you have it, just a bunch of FYI. Jeff Williams
Old 08-11-2004, 03:15 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Ben Beyer, I am using a Hayes standard 8oz tank on both of my Edges.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: CCRC1

Ben Beyer, I am using a Hayes standard 8oz tank on both of my Edges.
Hayes tanks are the only ones I use now too.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:19 PM
ben beyer

Jeff, how can i get some carbon fiber gear from you and how much is it?
Old 08-12-2004, 10:14 AM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

I have Jeffs gear on my Extreme 540.They have stood up to some of my less then perfect harrier landings.Also they look *****in and are light.Good guy to work with.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:52 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had great service from Jeff's CF gear. Have a set on an EF Edge and a Burrito. I did break one side on an Edge, but that was after two gear-first crashes that were hard enough to break the fuse into. I'm no 3D expert, but my profiles are definitely not hangar queens.

Eric
Old 08-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

BTW - I believe that I forgot to mention that I too am running Jeff's CF gear on my Edge.

And - I am using a Sullivan RST 6 oz. tank on my Edge. This is what I use on all of my Profiles.
Kevin
Old 08-12-2004, 04:07 PM
tetherite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair assessment - Jeff! And yes, I have had a few of the glass-filled nylon struts break.
So nobody's perfect, but we take our best shot!!!!!
Good landings.
Ray
Old 08-12-2004, 07:06 PM
remcl1
My Feedback: (3)

No matter which gear you go for (I went with the tetheright) order right away. Not many of the original gear last very long. I like the slow low end torque of the 4 stroke. Mine below has the YS 63S. I swing a 13 x 6 MAS scimitar. Great prop for this plane and a 4 stroke. The saito 72 is a good match for this plane as well. The saito guys at our field are also using the MAS 13 x 6 scimitar. If you go with a four stroke stay away from the low pitch props.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:07 PM
remcl1
My Feedback: (3)

Pic did not go. Try again
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59443.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	163173