Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 Servo choices (again) >

Servo choices (again)

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Servo choices (again)

Old 08-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo choices (again)

I'm still pondering which servos to use in my Burrito.

So far I've determined:

the HS225MG isn't really up to the task (although some seem to use them without problems)

the HS425BB is quite popular (and cheap)

the HS5475 "standard digital" is a great little servo (for $35) but it's awfully slow (at 0.23s)

the HS77 has a good following but the motors tend to be a little over-worked in 3D flying

the HS5625 digital looks good on paper -- except for its 2.1oz weight

the HS6635 looks brilliant, (a digital with 0.15s, 1.8oz weight and 83oz torque all for just $48) but nobody has them yet

What I'd like to know is -- how important is servo speed when flying 3D?

The difference between a slow (HS5475/475) and a fast (HS225) servo is astonishing to watch when you put both units side-by-side on the bench (the 225 is well over twice as fast).

Am I correct in thinking that since the servos in a 3D/funfly craft are set up to produce such massive throws, that the speed of normal control inputs is effectively magnified significantly anyway?

But what about when hovering? In the vids I've seen, some pilots have the rudder wagging huge amounts quite frequently to hold these birds in the hover -- surely a fast servo would be a definite advantage here -- especially when something like a 5475/475 takes nearly half a second to go from stop to stop.

And if you're thinking "why does he stick with Hitec servos?" The answer is simple -- they're very cost-effective and I find my supplier (Servo City) offers unparalleled service.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:56 PM

Default RE: Servo choices (again)

My 2 cents on servo speed.

I feel it is important. I use a 6 volt system to boost the servo speed.

And FWIW, I've used HS225's in the past (both the nylon gear version and the metal gear version), and I wouldn't use another HS225 for anything.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:29 PM
Banned

Well, my take is this. I like power, and I like speed, and I like cheap. So pick 2!

Personally, I play down speed, opting for more Torque. If you're like 90% of us, you'll use expo. Which basically means if you have faster servos, you'll need more expo. So I prefer T over S, but I'll take both if I can afford it. And of course I'll take T&A over any servo, but that's annother story![8D]
Old 08-12-2004, 10:36 PM
My Feedback: (12)

HeliHut has Futaba 9252's (.14s/91oz on 4.8v) for $65ea, they are in HI, closer to NZ than they are to me.