Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Best Covering

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 12:46 AM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Covering

Which is more suitable for these Funfly things -- Solarfim or Oracover/Ultracoat?

Solarfilm is nice and cheap (nearly half the price of the Oracover) but having used both I get the feeling that Oracover/Ultracoat is better at stiffening up a structure because, once it's shrunk, it's got a lot less stretch in it.

What's the preferred covering film?
Old 08-15-2004, 01:55 PM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Best Covering

I like oracover about the best. haven't used solarfilm in years, but the last solarfilm job I did would bag up in the fla. sun! plenty strong enough wing construction on both the burrito and omp that covering strength not a big problem; not like a 4-star or other sparred structure. the d-tube on the omp is waaay strong enough to handle about anything
Old 08-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

I like Ultracote best of what we get over here. I've not seen Solarfilm forever. like 15 years. Is it still sold here? My memory is it was thinner and didn't shrink as well. But that was many planes ago.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:14 AM
Spacey

On my competition fun flys I would not use anything other than solarfilm because it is MUCH lighter than the other covering materials. On gliders I do the same, nothing other than solarfilm. It depends obviously on the application? I will never use solarfilm on any of my profiles again because it simply does not last. If you're only going to want the plane to look nice for a year or so then use solarfilm rather. I like planes that would out last me so monocote for those.

Oh and just a side note. IMHO the solarfilm is much easier for me to work with than monocote. But who knows maybe I just need a little more experience with the thicker covering.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:28 AM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

Ultracote! It goes on easy, is very tough, shrinks up well, and is the all around best choice IMO.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I have tried Ultracote, Monokote, and Solite (I think its the same as Solarfilm). Ultracote works the best for any glow/gas powered plane where 1 ounce is not a big deal. It is easier to work with then monokote and someone actually did a study on this. Ultracote is actually the strongest, lighter, and better adhesive covering or something. Kinda surprised me but my planes have no bubbles or wrinkles.

So lite is great for little electrics and seems plenty durable enough for me.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:59 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I prefer Monokote to any covering other than silk and dope... my 2 cents... three examples,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23561.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	164934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35781.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	164935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85820.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	164936  
Old 08-17-2004, 07:19 PM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

Nice looking models evan.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:20 PM
Spastic

Ultracote transperent is my fav. much lighter than most also
Old 08-17-2004, 08:21 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

ORIGINAL: Spastic

Ultracote transperent is my fav. much lighter than most also
Agreed
Old 08-17-2004, 08:22 PM
Spastic

My pic didnt load the first time

Name:	Fd91525.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	164972  
Old 08-17-2004, 09:56 PM
XJet
Banned

How do you do that where you have a diagonal of clear covering?

Do you iron the edges of the different colored coverings together first then lay them on the structure or do you end up with two layers of covering in some places by covering with clear film first then lay the colored stuff on top?
Old 08-17-2004, 11:19 PM
Spastic

its pieced togeather before being applied to the wing, on glass is the easyest way, just cut the pieces and lay them out, overlap by about 1/4" and iron the seams with the lowest heat and a sock on the iron that will set the adhesive but not wrinkil the covering
Old 08-18-2004, 04:39 PM
RSands

Great looking bird. Does the overlap ever pull apart (with glow)? Always wanted to try this method, but thought it'd become a hassle.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:17 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Overlapping the clear and color with monokote is easy, apply the clear to the airplane then the colors over the clears with a 1/4" over lap, run the iron around the edges and then aesily go over the overlap seam. Then whe you go to shrink it tight be carefull to not heat up the seam while shrinking around it. For me Monokote is much easier to do and the seams show up much less. My 2 cents and all the raving in the world from those whoe think Ultrakote is better isn't going to change my mind and I'll put my covering job up against theirs any day...

Off topic but a glider I did yesterday...

Name:	Tr49905.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	165276  
Old 08-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Advantages to each.
Ultracote =
The good: Easy to use, high shrink rate for doing complex corners, easy to over lap colors without bubbles.
The bad: poor shine, opaque colors are not very opaque, low temp glue that will pull apart when re-shrinking.

Monokote
The good: great finish, high temp glue for joining colors, more colors available, better matching paint.
The bad: Tougher to use, requires more skill, cannot fully overlap colors using heat (must use Windex/trim solvent for a good finish)

I use Ultra on all my fun flys & small glow planes. For my large stuff I like Mono for its great finish. Sometimes I mix the two to get the colors I want.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Spastic

dont forget that with mono if you have to reposition the color comes off, i have used lotttts of each and i feel the ultra transperent is much better than mono's
its lighter and shrinks much more, for solid colors both are fine for me but for trim work its ultra all the way, no bubbles, even with the windex you get some bubbles on open framework, Oh and trans ultra works with windex better than mono, try it!!