Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

problems with other club members

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

problems with other club members

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 01:25 PM
MOJO65-9or10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: problems with other club members

I have a similar problem. The guys at my field are intimidated by my plane hanging over the runway. That I try to avoid by waiting til the sky is clear and then going up when no one else is flying. That I know doesn't always work so if the sky seems to always be full then I go over to the heli area. It isn't worth making ANYONE made if you can avoid it. I mean all we need is 100'x100'. If someone else goes up while I am over the runway I do my best to stay out of there way. I will hover entil I hear them coming then i will go vertical til they pass and then come down and hang around til they come back.

There are always people that just will not understand the fun of 3D so do your best to come to an agreement or understanding. I mean I don't want an accident anymore than anyone else and planes cost use all the same.

If that doesn't work pack up your gear, start your car, quit the club, and step on there plane. J/K

Dave
Old 09-07-2004, 03:46 PM
buildflycrash

Well the club safety officer was after me this weekend. he said he had complaints and wanted me to not fly directly over the runway. I told him that was not acceptable untill no one flew over the runway. well that put an end to that part of our discussion. he also said the compliant was that I flew over the pits, I explained that the day before I was flying over the intersection of the two runways as the wind was cross both and never got close to the pits. the person who complained my have been far down the line and seen my plane behind the pits but I was always over the runway.

I always try to take off and fly when all other planes are down and always clear out of the way when someone comes near the runway. ( I can do plenty of 3d in the time it takes them to do a big circle) After he saw me wring out my Burrito for a few tanks he was happy with the way I flew and said ther was not a problem.

I say don't give in and stand up for your airspace, be considerate of other flyers. I do use more airspace that someone doing big circles at 400 ft. But that is the way I want to fly.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:02 PM
beavertail

I just started flying 3D at my field, and So far everyone had been accepting, but at the sa,e time you have to do your part by not "hogging up" the flight line. Kill em with kindness, Fly with consideration of those pilots sharing the airspace.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Big_3Dan

Man oh man it sure is refreshing to be back!!!

All this talk about all this idiots who envy the 3D power has given me a great idea for any new profile i build.....in honor of all those who have to deal with this kindda crap at the filed (fortunatly on ours this doesn't happen actually is encouraged to fly the extremes Gonna have to cut out a big hand flaging the finger and put it on the bottom of the plane....any time some one tries to say something against 3D just do a nice torque roll in their direction Damn i like this crowd
Old 09-13-2004, 03:05 AM
SBR_RV

i like what billyhell said, if i was over in the US and was old enough to drive my self, id be there.
iv just finishing building a sledge to join my club members in 3D (when i get out there more). If full size do simular things at airshows then there is no reason modelers cant do it on the weekend, and if they keep on going annoying you than i would join another club.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:26 PM
stuff

HEY, I RESENT THE IMPLICATION THAT OLD GUYS CAN'T 3D . NOW CAN YOU CARRY MY PLANE OUT TO THE FLIGHTLINE . 65 and still at it. STUFF
Old 09-13-2004, 01:29 PM
stuff

HEY, I RESENT THE IMPLICATION THAT OLD GUYS CAN'T 3D . NOW CAN YOU CARRY MY PLANE OUT TO THE FLIGHTLINE. 65 AND STILL AT IT. STUFF OH I ALREADY SAID THAT AS YOU CAN SEE WHEN YOU GET OLDER YOU DO THINGS TWICE.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:38 AM
Fly-guy

these are the same guys that think Quique and Chip use gyros to hover
I am praying right now you are joking coz' that is a downright insult.

Anyway, I think that they are just jealous becoz' they cant fly that well.

I consider myself very very lucky, at my club, we are considered one of the best in Australia, every saturday Morning we have the Scale guys, the trainer guys the 3D guys, and of course the public spectators. If someone goes out and flies some cool 3D, like myself, when they land even the scale and tranier guys give ya a good clap and a pat on the back becoz' they respect that 3Ders are excellent pilots, I guess Im just lucky.

I just say 3D their socks off

You 3-D boys ... don't get so arrogant ... your flying a special made light wing loaded 3-D plane, or a U-Can_Do, isn't all that spectacular.

There better be room for the whole hobby in a club ... or YOU need to start a specialized club for "YOU GUYS". YOU just may have "An Attitude" also!

The problem usually isn't 3-D'in ... it's the manner that it's done ... usually right over the runway everyone is trying to use.

Get out of the way and see if the members tone changes. If it doesn't ... start your own. And I bet if you do, you will complain if someone tries something different at YOUR club .... just human nature ...
Oh please, get off your high horse and see the light, 3Ders are better than most(no arrogance intnded[>:]) If your name is right and you are a Mustang fan, and if you fly one I am guessing you cant fly 3D. I am right arent I???????

Fly-guy
Old 09-14-2004, 10:01 AM
Luke 3D returns

I had exactly the same trouble at my old club.

Those who think anti-3d people arent that bad read this!!!

I was willing to compromise and only hover when and where they wanted me to e.t.c

BUT the anti-3d members of the club comittee waited till another chap and i (the pro-3d comittee members) went on holiday.
They then had a secret meeting and of course reached a unaminous decision to completely ban hovering, effective as soon as i got back!
That sums up the typical anti-3d "gentleman".

I immediately resigned from the comittee and left, finding another club that had a better field and had no problem with 3D.
Plus the pilots were much better so it was easier learning 3d because i had someone to learn from!

As a result my flying has improved a lot thanks to my ex-club banning hovering resulting in my resignation and move to a newer better club

So my advice is find another club and let the old fogeys fly in circles and crash for the rest of their sorry days.

Dont bother wasting your breath with them- its just a hobby after all. They will find ANY way or excuse to stop you flying, no matter how willing you are to compromise.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Walleye

We have had the same complaint at our field and have discussed it at our meetings. The only real problem is that hovering over the landing zone makes it hard for others to take off or land. I guess you could say flying stops while you are up there. there are AMA guidelines on this under safety! I suggest talking to those around you and see how they feel when you want to 3D. Just letting them know in advance goes a long way. Don't stop flying the way you want as this is part of the fun. Jerry
Old 09-26-2004, 07:23 AM
BALSA BANDIT

At our field we have a "GREAT" 3D flyer who is about 50 years old and His best friend at the field is an 85 year old WW11 P51 fighter instructor. The old man doesn't like to do 3D stuff but just marvels at his friend when he is in the air. This is the best of both worlds and both of them are great friends of mine. The old man started flying RC when he was 77 years old after he gave up his full scale ticket and we all know that full scale pilots are tough to teach but this flyer caught on within 4 or 5 flights. He is one of the most talented pilots at the field, and when it rains he tells the best war stories of all.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:11 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I belong to small club, if anyone started somthing like that we'd boot em plain and simple. So long as they stay in front of the runway fence with the aircraft they can fly em however they want, period. That goes for any of em.
Out of courtesy I dont hover over the runway or the aproaches when someone else is flying. But asking someone not to fly how they like to is a bunch of bull.[:@] The hobby is suppose to be for fun, not politic'n.
Guess im lucky , the geezer bench gets a kick out of 3-D.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:45 PM
3D Flyer
My Feedback: (37)

Has anyone noticed this trend ... the guys that complain the most are usually the guys that fly the worst. Funny how works, you would think that folks that live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:48 PM
zivko edge540
Banned

Well at my field im 14 so that helps no one wants to mess with a teenager these days. So everyone at my field encourages it and is happy to see me progress. Ive only been flying 3d for 2 days and i can already harrier hover and do a few torque rolls. Im the envy of everyone at the field especially when i fly my 1/4 edge 540. No one has a problem with me flying 3d except that the profile plane i was flyign ahd a mid-air collision on my 2nd day out. One of my buddies told me to touch the rudder and i said no way i dont want to risk that yet. Next flight out BAMMM right into the other guys plane. Should have taken my chances with the ground So from know on when i get a new profile ill just fly the life out of it before i midair it.

ANyways my advice is get a gas engine in a 33% profile ( if they make em) and get the biggest prop you can witht he shallowest pitch and then see what they say[:'(]. If theyve got a problem just bring it a little closer to the pits each time im sure theyll be more than happy to get out of the way Oh yeah and make sure its carbon fiber too.

I think the one thing im gonna do that ill get in trouble for but it will be worth it( Might try it when im alone at the field) is take a profile harrier it into the pits and land it on one of the pit stands[>:]

Oh yeah i almost forget, just ignore em or say " Listen gramps dont make flying boring for other people just because you dotn have the reflexes to do 3d, now go take your medicine or somethin"
Old 09-30-2004, 08:21 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had this type of attitude from a couple of clubs. This is WAY back, I was flying a Goldberg Jr Tiger. It is a low wing sport plane. I had a O.S. FP .35 in the nose so it could not be thought of as over powered. I was told to stop doing low(?) fly bys. I was at 20 plus feet up and 100 feet out. These guys thought the only plane you should have is an Astro hog. They had trouble keeping track of a .20 sized old timer.

I must be a total SOB, becuase I fly pattern, sport, 3D, U/C, gliders, areobatics, and the most and helicopters. I have a nice little 3D machine that is 1/2a powered hovering demon. I can fly for months on a gallon of fuel. I have a scratch built Taco, E powered Edge 540, E powered Ultimate bipe, Half Wit, scratch built epowered 44 inch span Sukhoi, 2 helicopter, 3 bi planes, free flight U/C stuff 2 war birds 3 trainers. I fly to make one person happy and that is ME!!!

With all of the flat out hate that is pointed at the 3d and helicopter guys from a SMALL percent of club memeber, it amazes me the whinners have time to build and fly. I guess it could be the guys that show up at the field ever weekend and yet burn less then a gallon a year.

Dru..
Old 12-18-2004, 10:31 AM
biplane60

I see there is a lot of concern from all the posts about sharing space. we have a small club in our area that really has very few problems. ( mainly cutting the grass). I am the Club president and have been since i started the club. It is a small area, but will handle up to 1/4 scale planes. we have few rules and meetings only if necessary by majority wishes. We fly all types of airplanes at any given time. as stated, the club is small. we have and hold to it 30 members only. now the best part. WE ONLY FLY (1) PLANE at a time, and the field is yours. when crowded, flights are limited to 15 minutes each. no problem here. if others want to fly the same type airplanes and are comfortable flying together, go for it. when finished with your turn. then some one else has his/her time. we feel that this is the best for all members. it eliminates COMPLAINING & HOGGING the field. flying is suppose to be fun, and relaxing, (except certain type flyingthat keeps you on the ragged edge) this probably only works here due to our size as a club, but as you know, quality flying fields are getting very hard to come by due to (PROGRESS) AS THEY CALL IT. we have a ten year lease from 2002, so maybe we will survive for a while. we have to get along to keep getting along. just my thoughts even if i am 60 years old. i started flying in 1956 and love it as much now as i did then. AMA CHARTERED 4398, my number is AMA21501. thanks for the space. and try to have fun, even if you have to back off a little and regroup. soon people will come around, hopefully. BH
Old 12-18-2004, 10:37 PM
wdennie

man you guys got it bad my club is here is not very big we live in a small town and there is just a had full of us but we fly all kinds we are trying to learn 3d and it is tough to learn on your own everyone in our club helps each other in a learning curve i have built a spad profile and tried to learn of it but it to heavy right now need to lighten it some how but some where you need to find some common ground and if not these old guys need to realize that the sport/hobby is growing and 3d is the big thing right now i see more 3d funfly planes in mags more than warbirds now a days and thats where its if the old guys dont like it then maybe they go somewhere else ,3d is progress in the hoby and them few guys at everyclub ( in my opinion) is standing in the way of progress ,this is america, nothing stands in the progress in this country. all you pro bro guys are more than welcome at the Morgantown field anytime!!!!!!and for some nashville isnt that far away.