Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Can't find covering color...

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Can't find covering color...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 04:03 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't find covering color...

I am thinking of doing a 'darker' color for my next project, and I would like to use something like 'translucent black' or something along the color lines of window tint film. I perused both the Monokote and Ultrakote catalogs, and did not find anything close. Has anyone seen covering that fits this description....?
Old 08-18-2004, 05:18 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can't find covering color...

I used a metalic grey color that almost transparent....
Old 08-19-2004, 08:17 AM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can't find covering color...

This sounds crazy, but try a small piece and see if it works...... I saw it in an R/C mag somewhere.

Use a piece of clear Monokote. Pull the backing off and lay it on some glass. Use some ultra fine steel wool and buff it out so that the surface will accept some dye. Now rub Rit dye in your color choice onto the covering. It should tent the covering enough to get what you want.

Don't kill me!!! I didn't come up with it, someone else did. You can also try tenting the glue side so the outside surface stays smooth. Or even spraying the glue side with dye or even paint maybe. It's all worth trying if you want a certain look.

I have a buddy here in Little Rock that uses a Sharpie pen to sign the glue side of clear covering, then attaches it to the tail to say "Covered by" or "Built by". It really looks good. He sings his name backward on clear, cuts it out and irons it down. You might be able to do something like that with one of those MONSTER black markers. Color the glue side black, then iron it down with low to mid heat. Should work ok. Just takes a long time.

If you try it, let me know if any of it works.