Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 EF Edge 540 Tank Issues >

EF Edge 540 Tank Issues

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

EF Edge 540 Tank Issues

Old 08-19-2004, 06:57 PM
LVS
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EF Edge 540 Tank Issues

Hi All,
Yes, another EF 540 thread![:@] I didn't want to hijack someone elses thread.

Here goes. See the attached pic below and tell me if you see anything alarming. I am having a hell of time with the fuel tank. The tank is an 8 oz. Hayes tank mounted without the balsa stand off blocks as in the manual. However, I am using 1 in. of foam between tank and fus. I have tried the straps fairly loose and then fairly tight and am still getting major foam in the tank causing the new Saito .72 to run erratic. Should I try more foam outlining where the straps wrap around the tank? Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20238.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	165647   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43939.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	165648  
Old 08-19-2004, 07:01 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: EF Edge 540 Tank Issues

, thats pretty much my set up, I'm useing the Hayes 8oz, but not the slim line, and I use a Irv 53, aint had any problems with bubbles, I use rubber bands to hold my tank on too......maybe just a finicky 4C
Old 08-19-2004, 07:18 PM
My Feedback: (4)

My fuel foams in the tank also but doesnt affect the way my Saito runs..
How well is your Saito Broken in? Ive never had one that ran great during the first complete gallon of fuel.
I have found that with the Saito's you just need to live with the erratic runs for the first gallon and resist the temptation to mess with the needle valves very much.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:34 PM
LVS

Do think the rubber bands would lesson the vibration more so than the nylon straps?

Wayne, the Saito is brand new with 1.5 tanks through it. I started at 4 turns out and turned in 1 turn just to get any measurable rpm out of it. My other Saito .72 wasn't as finicky during break in at least that I remember. It won't even run at the recommended 5 turns out as manual recommends without the glow ignitor. Do you have any suggestions for initial settings? I am almost afraid to fly with it the way it is now. I see bubbles going through the fuel line and just attributed its erratic behavior to that.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:42 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I would suggest a few more tanks with the needle out at 4 turns. You will not be able to remove the glo plug ignitor during these runs.
Keep the RPM's below 4K during these runs also.
After that tweak the high speed in a turn and you should be able to keep it running (very rough though) without the ignitor. Run a couple tanks at that setting.
After that, you can tweak the high speed in to where it will run more reliably. (Probably 1-3/4 to 2 turns open on the high) Run a tank like that then go fly.
You'll probably have to go in a full turn on the low end prior to flying.
Just expect it to run rough for a gallon of gas. Saty high and done do much 3D untill the motor is very reliable.

You'll see after about a gallon the motor will start running really well. Dont be impatient and mess with the needles during the first gallon that much. (IE.. Keep your buddies and the "flying field know it all's" away from your motor! )

I have had great running Saito's and crappy running ones. The bad ones were my fault for not breaking then in properly.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:05 PM
LVS

Wayne,
Thanks for the Saito break-in lesson! I think what I lack most of all, is patience![sm=stupid.gif]
Old 08-19-2004, 08:35 PM

zip ties dont stretch and transfer all the vibes to the tank regardless of how many inches of foam you have, use rubberbands, which i know is a bumber cause using zips is so easy and the foaming will not be a problem
Old 08-19-2004, 10:59 PM
My Feedback: (13)

here is the rubber band method. Use the smallest cup hooks you can find.

Name:	Tr51336.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	165714  
Old 08-20-2004, 12:36 AM
My Feedback: (15)

I used a different more oval flat tank on mine... I think its a 8-10 oz I get 17-20 min of flying times on an OS 46AX. Works like a charm

Name:	Jh16246.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	165732  
Old 08-20-2004, 08:39 AM

LVS, you might refer to the assembly thread I did on this forum. I went with the rubber bands and eye hooks, I felt the zip ties might transfer too much of the vibration. I think rubber bands will help you, it won't hurt to try. Here is a picture of one I did for Gary Seeloff, mine has the exact same setup and I run a YS 63 with no problems. Jeff W.

Name:	Tr51834.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	165783  
Old 08-20-2004, 05:16 PM
My Feedback: (21)

One last thing, get that wood prop off and buy an APC 13 x 6 [8D]. Like stated above, I had a Saito a year ago, ran like a charm. I did the proper break in on the ground and then it ran like a clock after a gallon. This last one I was a bit more reluctant to break it in on a stand so I bolted it to my profile and actually ended up spending 1/2 gallon at least sitting on the ground at idle letting it break in. After I would say 2 gallons they start to really turn around.