Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 2-stroke versus 4-stroke >

2-stroke versus 4-stroke

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

2-stroke versus 4-stroke

Old 08-22-2004, 01:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-stroke versus 4-stroke

As soon as my Burrito kit arrives I'll be burning the midnight oil and (hopefully) in the air a few days later.

The TT46 has already arrived but now I'm wondering whether I should invest in a 4-stroke for my next profile (you've got to think ahead you know).

I see that OMP have a deal on the Katana and YS63 ($299 the lot) and was wondering what people thought of this in terms of value and suitability as a second profile 3D plane?

I've always found that it's much easier to push the envelope when learning a new set of flying skills if you have a backup model waiting for you in the unfortunate event that you re-kit the plane you're flying.

When I started flying helis I only had one model and was always nervous about moving to the next step in my flying ablities -- so I bought another and found it just so much less nerve-racking -- knowing that even if I did have a smash I'd still be flying. It seems to me that 3D flying should work the same ;-)

I notice a lot of guys posting here are using YS63 so I guess it's a good engine?

Is there much difference in performance/flyability between a TT46 and a YS63 in the same airframe?

Oh, and what do you guys use for a glue when building these things? I generally stick with aliphatic resin and epoxy but am wondering whether I might save some weight by sticking with CA for these birds.

Questions, questions questions eh?
Old 08-22-2004, 08:52 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2-stroke versus 4-stroke

I was breaking in my YS63 this weekend. I put on an exhaust diverter....it was fine for the first run....very rich. On the second tank, I started leaning it in and then riching it up to increase the heat-up, cool down cycles. The engine blew the !#$!$ exhaust diverter clean off and sent it flying a good 20 feet. This engine is past being just impressive....when it is completly whined out --- its scary the power its putting out....I was getting the feeling that just a little bit more and the engine was just going to pull itself completely off the plane. In fact, lets just say that you better have a descent motor mount or I'm guessing that is exactly what must occassionally happen.

Get the YS63...you'll thank yourself later on....I have never seen so much power for an engine that size. This engine is not even comparable to the Saito....which I was debating 4 months back and seen lots of them at the field.

When I was done, I looked like this for the rest of the day--> [8D]