Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 OMP Hybrid "My Build" >

OMP Hybrid "My Build"

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP Hybrid "My Build"

Old 01-07-2005, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OMP Hybrid "My Build"

hey guys
on small size airplanes where a oz or 2 might be a big diff. i can see where going to lighter balsa would be a big diff. but on an airplane of this size do you think you can save 1/2 to 1 lb
in weight i know it all adds up - can you tell us the over weight savings by changing out heavy to light balsa in your kit ??
i would think the % of weight saved would not be worth searching for better balsa at least around here where balsa at the lhs is quite thin plus the extra cash
i was not impressed with the quality of the balsa in my kit i did go the hobby shop and buy some more 1/4x1/4 sticks because some were warped and i was missing 2 peaces - i also was missing 1 - 4" wide 1/6" sheet - all of the cap strip material - and one spar - i also exchanged out some of the fuse sheeting for some i had in my balsa rack due to shipping damage the ends of about 1/2 of my sheet stock it the kit was damaged on one or both ends (ups thanks) i am thinking of building a second hybrid kit due to the fact it flys sooooo good and the price has come down from 400 to 330
crash90 i am going to look for a 4000 lipo today hopping the weight saving will offset the smoke pump & tank a little - might even do the cf gear and lighter tires - is there some on who sells lighter axles
Old 01-07-2005, 10:34 AM
My Feedback: (17)

I would try troybuiltmodels.com
they sell the Kavan tires which I believe are the lightest avaliable. They do also sell axles. Not sure though if the axles are standard or made of lightweight material. Troybuilt also sells the Lithium batteries.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:53 AM

tlg1.....check this place for axles. They might have what you are looking for

http://www.pspmfg.com/TitaniumAxles.html
Old 01-07-2005, 01:04 PM

Thanks guys i ordered the axles & the tires i found a cf gear here in town
i will post the weight savings
i will post the weight add to add a smoke system
Old 01-07-2005, 05:21 PM

Tlg1. Thanks for your input on the control horns. I ordered a Dubro HD system today for the Rudder..

I feel like venting a little. Today I went to the LHS to pick up some misc parts for the Hybrid. It's about a 1hr round trip. It's hard for me to get there because he is only open while i'm at work. Anyhow, when I got home I realized that I forgot the wing bolts. Now, I realize that it's my fault for forgetting, however, would it be too much to ask a kit mfg to include this stuff in the kit? I mean, I understand control horns where people would prefer to choose their own. Maybe even pushrods. But i'm talking about the parts that are being used by everyone building the kit. Things like wing bolts, the little cap heads that hold the hatch on, the 4 bolts that hold the LG on. For the cost of some of these kits, 6 bolts, washers and 4 wing bolts isn't gonna make or break them. I'm not picking on OMP here, I'm sure that it is common amongst many of the small retailers. Come on guys.

AHHH, that's better. I made a resolution to quit smoking. I'm on my 5th day. need I say more [>:]
Old 01-07-2005, 06:25 PM
My Feedback: (28)

All in all the balsa in my kit was good quality all wraped in a sealed bags. My rudder all put together just wood weight is 53 grams the 1/2" x 1/2" balsa for the elevator halfs weighs 52 grams alone! I am replacing that stick, it is as heavy as spruce and just as stiff (just for example). I am only replacing maybe 10$ worth of wood but I wan't the tail area as light as possible. I still don't no what engine yet! AS for weight savings for example I built 2 identical planes .40 size 1 weighed 4 lbs light balsa the other weighed 4.5 lbs. About 8.8% weight savings. On a 20 lb plane that would be a 1.75 lb weight savings.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:02 PM

Tlg1.
do you get alot of slack on the non pull side of your rudder setup? I am unsure weather or not I need an offset servo arm when crossong the wires.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:28 AM

There are a lot of people that get all hung up about the cable that isn't pulling going slack, but it's really nothing to worry about. The only real problem is if the cables get tighter as you approach the end of the throw. The cable on the side that isn't pulling being slack will NOT cause flutter! The force on the rudder will be pushing it back toward the center, and the one cable is all you need tight. I had a cable break in flight, and the only way I knew something was wrong was that I had no rudder on one side. I landed a few minutes later, and found I could only turn one way on the ground as well. As soon as I got to the plane, I knew what had happened, but there was no flutter, no problems at all, just a lack of one side of rudder control.

HTH
Jim
Old 01-08-2005, 08:24 AM

Agreed Icebird but I want to get it as close as I can.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:09 AM

crash90
i have very little or no slack in my pull-pull system i used a straight servo arm & i did cross the cables
Old 01-08-2005, 11:17 AM

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:19 PM

Tlg1, I like your idea on building pushrods. Seems like a simple way to do it. However, it seems like you're adding unnecessary weight to the tail. Which is making you a bit tailheavy.

Not sure how I will procede there. Gonna have to do some searching.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:29 PM

crash90
i have had a standard 4-40 push rods bend before how im not sure - bumped it or from flight forces
its only two cf tubes and four nuts i do not use the locking type i use the thin 4-40 nuts that i can find and
ca them
each cf tube =7.375" long & two nuts = 4 grams per push rod
pretty light for the extra strength
i just weighed the nuts & tube for your info
Old 01-09-2005, 07:16 PM

Tlg1. I stand corrected. 4 grams. Thanks for weighing them.

I have some CF arrows lying around. I think I will take your advice. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:58 AM

crash90 i use a smaller size of cf tube you can get them on line or at kite stores or lhs i am not sure what size i use but the 4-40 rod just slides through the cf tube or there are mfg out there that sell cf push rods that you do need to run the 4-40 rod through them - i have been using this type of push rod on all of my planes from 60 size to the hybrid they look good and they are very strong - around here the kite store sells the cf tubes for about 2.50 to 3.00 for a 48" rod that is about 6 push rods per tube about .50 extra per push rod - the guys that fly the 30/40% planes around here though i was nuts to put cf push rods on my smaller planes until they found out what i was doing & how cheap they are - now they are using this system on there big planes since the cf push rods you buy are about $10.00 each - on a plane that has 3 wing servos & two elevator servos that is a big savings & you have no worry that the cf push rod ends could fail since the 4-40 runs all the way through the push rod - hope this helps and keep on building i cant wait to here from you on your first flight - remember fly it on low rates on your first flight
Old 01-10-2005, 09:26 AM

You dont by chance know an online source for these tubes?
Old 01-10-2005, 09:45 AM

here ya go

http://www.nyblimp.com/superior/carbon-tubes.htm
Old 01-10-2005, 12:47 PM

Thanks. Which one offers the best fit with 4-40 rods?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:12 PM

CRASH90
i would use the .220 or the .254 i think the 4 40 dia is .112
the .220 is the out side dia look at the note at the bottom of the order sheet about a rod of .125 will fit in to the cf tube - i over size the cf tube a little for strength & when i run the nuts up ( tight ) to each end i center the rod on the nuts then ca them
hope this helps
Old 01-10-2005, 10:25 PM

Hello all. I quess i need to check back more often. So many posts have passed
If any one is interested. My Hybrid came out to weigh about 19lbs I put a sullivan smoke pump right behind the fire wall and then I mounted a 32oz tank just behind the wing tube, the fuel tank is just infront of the wing tube. I also used a 1/4 scale servo for the rudder and mounted it in the bottom of the fuse about 12inches in front of the ruddeer hinge point.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:52 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Wow, 19 lbs seems kind of heavy but of course since the wing loading is so light the plane could carry an extra 10 lbs I'm sure. Mine (rest in peace!) was 16.25 lbs with a DA 50 and canister setup. When I added the smoke system though that added some weight. What motor did you use and how does it do at 19 lbs? Also 32 oz tank? WOW bet you could fly for 60 minutes on that. I use a 16 or 20 oz tank with my DA and always have fuel left when I land. Man these gassers are efficient.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:29 PM

I built the plane for my firend, he is alittle green still, so I used a ton of epoxy. I wanted to make sure it would survive his rough landings. I put a G62 on it because we had it. I wanted the DA-50 but the plane wasn't for me and he didn't need the power. The 32oz tank is for the smoke oil. I used a 22 for the engin.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:28 PM

Man, everybodys seems to be ending up in that 19lb range. Squirrlcommander has smoke which probably accounts for a pound. I have no hopes left of getting into the 16lb advertised weight. Hardly seems possible.
We shall see. I have built per the instructions, I don't use alot of glue.

Anyhow, I once had the WM 80" extra. The wings were held in place with an 8/32 threaded rod that was fastened to the wing, then simply double nutted to the inside of the fuse. I liked that setup and it seems like it may be a bit tight on the Hybrid trying to get in there with a screwdriver to tighten up the nylon wing bolts.. So today I picked up the necessary fixins and I will make that mod tonight. This will be the first weight adding mod. Maybe a few grahms.

I picked up the materials to make the pushrods per Tlg1. I did however decide to use A CF arrow shaft. The CF rod was only 3.50 bit there is 5.00 shipping plus 5.00 handling on small orders. Not worthwile for me. My LHS doesnt carry them and I don't have any Kite stores in the area.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:43 PM

crash90 i like this set up a nylon bolt & nylon wing nut from lowes or home depo screw together then ca
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64794.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	213805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51115.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	213806  
Old 01-11-2005, 10:52 PM

I had the smoke tank rite abouve the fuel tank, but this made the wing bolts real had to reach. And your knuckles would get cut up on the fuel line twist ties. no the 32oz tank sit straight up just behind the wing tube. We use these wing bolts with knob heads, I think you can get them at Loes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.