Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 OMP Hybrid "My Build" >

OMP Hybrid "My Build"

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP Hybrid "My Build"

Old 10-31-2004, 12:48 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OMP Hybrid "My Build"

OK. I sent an email to Mike and Dion asking them if they can get me a piece of 48" basswood wing spar. I am getting anxious so I thought I would hinge the left wing. The pics of the finished wing are attached.
I installed a new furnace a few weeks ago. I had to burn the old one into pieces to get it out of the basement. Everything got covered with a black soot. I did the best I could to clean off the wood but I couldn't get it all off. Oh well, once it's covered you'll never know. Got tired of waiting so I applied some monokote to the hinge line and installed the hinges. I used some 1/2"x1/2" balsa blocks behind the wing TE to give the hinges a little more to bite to.

Tomorrow, I will begin the right wing. I will go as far as I can without the top spar. If OMP can't get me a spar then it will be a while until I resume building. Sorry but I can't justify spending 25.00 at lone star. I think I cut up the other spar to install the servo mounting rails, I didn't realize that they supplied seperate pieces for this
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52691.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	188337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79217.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	188338  
Old 11-01-2004, 02:12 PM

this is a photo from the build cd is it correct why would you attach this triangle stock
befor you attach the vertical rudder post

Name:	Vs55607.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	188870  
Old 11-01-2004, 06:45 PM

Not sure I understand your question. If you look at the picture again you will see that the vertical fin IS installed?

Name:	Zx71236.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	188965  
Old 11-02-2004, 08:51 AM

da guess i need new glases - your right i did not see the vertical fin -
it looked to me like the top of the fin in
the photo was the top of the rear fuse.
i about have the tail feathers done
hope to get all but the wings ready to cover this week
thanks for your help
tg
Old 11-02-2004, 09:36 AM

AFSalmon. Do you think that pine would suffice for a spar? I have lots of it lying around and I could cut it to size.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:29 AM
My Feedback: (21)

From Mike:

The answer is yes, that would be fine as long as it's quality wood with good grain and no knots.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:58 AM

Thanks. That being the case, construction will continue tonight.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:41 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Crash,

Sorry, I've been in a class all week (aeronautical engineeing) and have not been around a computer. On a break now and thought I'd check in. I see Dion got my message to you though. Pine is not bad at all actually but use good quality pine and check the grain and any knots to assure structural integrity.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:17 PM

Mike. I found a LHS that has Spruce in that size. Do you feel that spruce is strong enough for a spar? I don't know the difference. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:12 PM
My Feedback: (28)

Spruce will work same as pine! Spruce is what I use it is strong!
Old 11-03-2004, 07:59 PM

Thanks quicksand.
Construction is finally back under way. The right wing is the final phase in construction.

Pic 1. Step one is to glue doublers in place. You can see in the pic, rib 1 is laminated to ply rib 1a. 2 Small blocks are then glued into pre cut holes in the rib. They are then drilled and tapped for 1/4-20 wing bolts. Ribs 2,3, and 4 have doublers in place to reinforce the wing tube socket. Rib 3 and 4 along with 6 and 7 have small doublers which hold the servo rails. All of these steps were completed when building the left wing and they are all laser cut pieces.

Once that is complete, The next step is to pin the main spar to the plans. OMP also supplies a laser cut wing jig as well as an aileron jig which get pinned to the plans. These jigs allow you to build the wings "flat" on the work surface. Pic 2

Pic 3, Install the ribs per the plans. This is a quick and simple step. Just don't forget that you are building upside down.

Pic 4. Since I don't yet have a top spar, I went ahead and installed some of the laser cut pieces like the sub leading edge, and a few other pieces shown below. These laser cut parts really help make sure that everything is properly aligned BEFORE any gluing is done. I also installed the wing tube socket.

This entire process took me about 15 minutes. This thing is so easy to build that, after building the left wing, I can build the right wing without the help of the instructions. I couldnt find a straight piece of pine to cut a spar from, However, I finally found a place near by that carries spruce in 36" lengths. I will be picking it up friday.

Name:	Sq46327.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	189624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97279.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	189625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93114.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	189626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62209.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	189627  
Old 11-05-2004, 08:32 AM

John here is some more motivation to get yours done. Flight reports coming back now have been nothing but praises and very happy customers.

Old 11-05-2004, 10:24 AM

Dion. I'm back at it. Got the spar installed and I am beginning to install the webbing. Pics will follow shortly.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:56 AM

What did you come up with on the motor? ZDZ 80?

Looks like I'm going to get one going soon. Time to do some engine shopping for X-Mas present. I haven't chosen who I'm going to let buy it for me for X-Max?

Parents? Girlfriend? Cousins?

It's just as hard to decide whose going to buy it for me then what motor I'm going to use! I'm going to see what I can do about getting that MVVS .58. I think that's the one for me.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:00 PM

STLPilot. Still determined to wait for the 55xtreme. I will give keith until march or so. If he doesn't deliver I will probably go with the DA 50. The ZDZ 80 just seems like too much. Weight that is.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:03 PM

I tell you a motor to check out is the new Brison 50 motor with the rear exhaust. Have no idea about the power, reliability or anything else but it is an attractive slim design and the rear exhaust would allow a really neat installation in the Hybrid. Wonder if anyone knows about this engine's performance?
Old 11-08-2004, 10:43 PM

Is there any talk of offering this plane in an ARF?
Old 11-09-2004, 10:06 AM

Maybe in the future, heck you are almost done bro. keep it up!
Old 11-09-2004, 10:49 AM

Still going strong.
A few posts ago, I discussed the rear turtledeck being crooked. Well, Last night I took the time to fix it. Everything is lined up almost perfect. The fuse is straight as an arrow and the turtledeck is only off by about 1/4". Now I must fix the removeable hatch. When I assembled it, I assembled it to line up with the rear turtledeck. Now that the turtledeck is straight, the hatch isn't lined up. Not a major problem, I will simply shim up the low side and redrill the holes for the mounting screws. Then i'm in the home stretch. Come on BME, I can't wait too much longer.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:10 AM

Hey Crash, I'm curious as to how the turtle deck got constructed crooked? Don't want to put you on the spot but if there is anything I can improve upon on the design or kit parts I'm all ears.

By the way, I've heard about the BME 55 for seems like two years now. Sounds very impressive and I hear good things about the 110 they have. Wonder why the long delays?
Old 11-16-2004, 09:07 AM

Honestly, I'm not sure how the turtledeck got crooked. LOL. It was off by about 1/2". Obviously this was an error on my end, not yours.
Somehow the front former was crooked. I guess I didn't have it clamped tight enough. A disadvantage of wood glue. Anyhow, I cut the front former out, repositioned it and everything is good.

I am getting a little concerned. If the 55xtreme doesn't come out by march, I will have to find a way to mount the servos back in the tail for balancing. I will probably go with a ZDZ 60 as my 2nd choice.

Construction is progressing slowly. I have the bottom of the left wing done. All that is left is sheeting on the top wing. LE, TE, and hinging then it is ready for covering.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:23 AM

Tlg1. Still working on your hybrid?
I seem to have lost my momentum. I ran out of 1/16 balsa sheets last week (my fault) and can't seem to get up the energy to drive 30 minutes to pick up a few pieces. I have everything done with the exception of sheeting between the rib bays, installing the LE and cutting the aileron from the wing. I have maybe 3 nights left to finish construction. Then It's time to lay out the servo installation.
It will be decision time. If I decide not to wait for the 55xtreme then I will have to cut into the tail to install servo mounts. I should have installed them when I constructed the fuse just in case but I was dead set on waiting. Now I'm not so sure.

I will be in the area of the hobby shop next week so I guess I will get back on it. By next Sunday I should have her done. I guess I should order the CF LG and wing tube a while. Oh that's right. If I install the DA and put the elev servos in the tail then I will need the weight of the aluminum gear to help balance.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:27 PM

OK Guys. After doing some heavy pondering, I have decided to go with the ZDZ 80. My next plane will be a 1/3 scale composite so the ZDZ will work well in both planes. Here's the problem. When I constructed the fuse, I intended to install the servo trays in the tail just in case. For one reason or another, I didn't. Now that the fuse is constructed, what is the best way to go back and reinforce around the servos? I was thinking that I could just glue the servo trays to the outside of the fuse?
AFsalmon. Do you think I should install the rudder servo in the tail also to help with balncing?
I am not concerned with the extra weight. By installing CF wing tube, LG, spinner, and lithium batteries I can probably stay pretty close to the 16lb objective.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:16 PM
My Feedback: (28)

The 80 weighs 4.3lbs , ignition 4.8 oz. and inverted muffler 11.5 oz total of 5.2 lbs I have a scale that weighs in grams! Then the 26 x 10 prop weighs 5.6 oz
Old 11-28-2004, 11:05 PM

I wonder how it compares in weight to the DA 50 with the ignition, and pipe.
I believe that the ZDZ 80 weighs the same as the ZDZ 60.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.