Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 Hangar 9 TWIST motor? >

Hangar 9 TWIST motor?

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Hangar 9 TWIST motor?

Old 09-20-2004, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 TWIST motor?

I just got a Hangar 9 Twist and i was wondering if the O.S.46 L/A would have enough power to hover this plane?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:49 PM

Default RE: Hangar 9 TWIST motor?

I have a Thunder Tiger Pro46 on mine and it has a hard time hovering. It should fly well and be very aerobatic but there will be some limitations. If you want unlimited performance you would need to put a saito 72 or 82 four stroke on it swinging a 14x4W APC prop.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:43 AM
My Feedback: (1)

You'll probably want something more than 46 LA. Even if the 46 LA will hover it, it probably won't pull out of a hover with authority, and based on your question, I would guess that you are wanting to learn to hover. If this is the case, you definitely want something that will pull you out of a hover with authority, otherwise you will be liable to have to due allot of rebuilding and repairing! Some 46 LA I've seen are very strong for a bushed motor, though those are typically not the normal 46 LA. I would have thought that the TT 46 would do just fine with the right prop. I would highly recommend a BB motor, like the TT. If you already have the 46 LA, and are on a limited budget, then put a 11X4 or 11X5 wood prop on it and go. Just make sure that you hover high enough that if you get in trouble, you got enough room to fly out of your situation. Realize that there are so many factors that effect the performance of these glow engines, altitude that you are flying at, barametric pressure, temperature, humidity, etc., then every engine is not the same, even from the same manufacturer & same size. Then you have to factor in the resistenance of the aircraft design, weight, etc. And typically, all ARFs vary so much in wieght from the factor. I think that some of them still have a little chinese kid in them, since they are so heavy! Inb other words, it is a guess for us, at best, to say this engine or another is the best for you. People can only express an opinion based on what they have been exposed to. Personally, I run nothing but Webra 50's with a Mac long or extra long header and a Mac long tune pipe. This is what works for me in my area. I am not a 4C kinda guy. So here is my 2 cents (and probably then some ) Hope that it helps in some way.
Kevin
Old 10-08-2004, 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: kevin4hsrcm

Just make sure that you hover high enough that if you get in trouble, you got enough room to fly out of your situation.
Or else keep the prop below eye level, so if you do turf it, it won't have much inertia. I personally don't see how anyone could learn to hover at 200 feet. Get in low and close so you can see what it's doing. And the twist is HEAVY! mftr's specs say 6 lbs +. Maybe the new Evolution 100? Saito 1.20? Or just get something lighter. .46LA would hover a fat-free taco or Morris Pen-knife just great.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:03 PM
My Feedback: (10)

I am using A thnder tiger pro 46 with a 12.25x3.75 prop and it will hover all day long. Has plenty of power for this plane i honestly thing a 4 stoke would be more motor than you would ever need.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:54 AM

ORIGINAL: cmircman

I am using A thnder tiger pro 46 with a 12.25x3.75 prop and it will hover all day long. Has plenty of power for this plane i honestly thing a 4 stoke would be more motor than you would ever need.
Wow, I'm shocked! What does yours weigh? I almost bought one of these, 'till I read the box and it said 5-6 lbs. Anything over 5 lbs. doesn't usually pull out with a .46, in my limited experience. Of course, more power than you would ever need is a good thing, right?
Old 10-24-2004, 07:41 PM
My Feedback: (1)

what about a 61
Old 10-26-2004, 10:13 PM
My Feedback: (10)

i have not weighed my twist but before i changed to the apc 12.25x3.75 prop it would not hover that well
Old 10-27-2004, 01:35 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has put a tower hobbies pro.46 in the Twist yet? I have this engine plus a TT .61pro. I see from the specs the .46pro is conciderable lighter and almost the same HP. I spoke with a guy who has the TT .61 in one and he said lots of power but heavy and had to modify to mount. I have read were several people have used the TT .46pro and have had good power from it. The tower hobbies rate theirs at 1.75hp and thunder tiger rates theirs at 1.43hp. I want to be able to hover this thing and still have power to pull out. I plan on using a apc 12.5x3.75 prop with the .46. I have been using the aero flypro sim for practice and been flying a ultra-stick 60 with the TT .61pro. This plane is fun to fly but 3d is weak. I hope the twist will help me with my 3d learning. Any info is always appriciated.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2004, 02:30 PM

Got an OS 46 AX and it works great. Cannot see need for more and OS's run trouble free for a long time.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:46 PM

i put a 61fx on mine loads of power and didnt balance to bad the cg is closer to 4' but is ok with no weight added and my flying weight is 5 pounds 9 oz.