Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Building the Yak 54 - 79"

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Building the Yak 54 - 79"

Old 01-10-2005, 11:03 PM
1fish
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building the Yak 54 - 79"

Mr Bigg your correct. There are actually two ribs there the root rib is ply and the inner rib is a thick slice of balsa during the building you laminate the two of them together forming a strong, light, single root rib.
Squirrlcommander, the Saito 180 should be OK you may not be able to blast off out of o hover but it should have enough power for a decent 3-D plane..If you dont have the engine yet I would recommend a Moki 180-210 or a YS 140-160 over the Saito 180, but if you already have the Saito go with it...
Old 01-10-2005, 11:47 PM
jeide
My Feedback: (111)

Hi 1fish. I didn't diss you but once I start building it's balls to the wall. You have way more patience than I do taking all those pictures along the way. I hope yours turns out great. Jim
Old 01-11-2005, 01:55 AM
1fish

Jeide, all in good humor, I knew you werent being mean, thanks for the reply though, now go install your engine and radio and fly that bad boy!!!
Old 01-11-2005, 07:45 AM
AFSalmon

Hey 1fish, keep up the good work, we want to see this done before it gets warm. One note on the wing build: you mention turning over the rib angle guide? This is not correct actually. Remember even though you are building both wings over the same plan (this is possible because the wings are quad tapered and completely symetrical) the ribs will ALWAYS tilt toward the tip ribs. If you think about it it makes sense because the tip rib is smaller than the root rib. So given a wing laid flat on your board, the ribs lean toward the tip. When the wing panels are put flat against the fuselage side, the ribs are all vertical and the tip rib would be suspended off the table.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:47 AM
1fish

ORIGINAL: AFSalmon

Hey 1fish, keep up the good work, we want to see this done before it gets warm. One note on the wing build: you mention turning over the rib angle guide? This is not correct actually. Remember even though you are building both wings over the same plan (this is possible because the wings are quad tapered and completely symetrical) the ribs will ALWAYS tilt toward the tip ribs. If you think about it it makes sense because the tip rib is smaller than the root rib. So given a wing laid flat on your board, the ribs lean toward the tip. When the wing panels are put flat against the fuselage side, the ribs are all vertical and the tip rib would be suspended off the table.

Yes but if you are building one upside down, (the right panel) and one right side up (the left one) you need to angle the tops of the left wing and inversly the bottoms (relative to the plans, the top when you turn the wing over) of the right wing. Correct?
Old 01-11-2005, 12:31 PM
AFSalmon

Nope, doesn't matter whether you build the wing rightside up or upside down, the ribs will always tilt toward the tip a very slight amount. This is because the wings are "quad tapered" meaning not only the le and te edges are tapered relative to the fuselage but also the top AND bottom surface of the wing taper down and upward respectively toward the tip. Look at the picture below which depicts a typical front view of a symetrical wing which is equally tapered on the top and bottom surfaces. If you imagine the root rib vertical and flush against the fuselage, you will notice the bottom and top surface taper equally toward the tip. Now picture this wing panel laying flat on your table and you can see how all the ribs will tilt toward the tip. Doesn't matter if the wing is rightside up or upside down. If it's laying flat along the main spar on your building board, the ribs will tilt toward the tip. I believe the computed angle for my Yak 54 is around 89 degrees. Obviously that's much off of 90 degrees but it's important if you want the wing panel to fit flush against the fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50853.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	213639  
Old 01-11-2005, 02:56 PM
1fish

Just to be sure we are talking about the rib angle guide right? Not the wing jig. I seems to me if you build the left wing with the angle guide correct side up the wing will be flush (90 degrees) at -.92 degrees if you were to build the right side wing using the angle guide the same way you would end up with the wing flush at +.92 degrees to flush (90 degrees) which would give you one wing tip (the right one) being slightly lower than the left one.......
Old 01-11-2005, 03:58 PM
1fish

Never mind I figured it out either way you put the angle it relative to the center line of the wing not the bottem or top of the wing, therefor not relative to the wing being right side up or upside down...

Some times I think I think way too much!!
Old 01-12-2005, 07:53 AM
AFSalmon

Wow, now I'm confused! Yep, I think you got it. Yes we are talking about the rib angle guide. Now in comparison the Edge 540 is flat on the top of the wing from tip to tip. This would be called a double tapered wing on the Edge because the trailing edge and bottom surface taper toward the tip. The LE and top surface extend "normal" from the fuselage. Thos wings are both built upside down with the ribs 90 degrees to the building board.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:57 PM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone noticed that all wing ribs seem to have a bump about 3 inches behind the spar. as you go toward the end rib "9" the bump is only about 2 inches behind the spar. the bump is on the tops and bottoms of the ribs where the 1/16" balsa capping lays.

does anyone know if this is supposed to be this way ??