Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 Carl Goldberg Ex-treme 540 question >

Carl Goldberg Ex-treme 540 question

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Carl Goldberg Ex-treme 540 question

Old 10-22-2004, 08:12 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carl Goldberg Ex-treme 540 question

Hey Guys
I have this plane with a YS 63 on it, and I flew it once and it took all I could from not crashing it, When I set the CG on it seemed to be OK but it beat me up trying to fly this thing, I mean it would not fly straight for nothing it was going up and down at least 5 to 8 feet in both ways, I just new that there wasn't anyway this plane was coming down in one piece maybe 10 but not 1, but anyway I managed to line it up to the runway and chopped the power and slowed it down enough were it wouldn't keep that up and down process it was doing, well I slowed it down enough and just as it got right over the runway the speed had already bleed off so I just manage to pull the the nose back in time to make a very successive landing it didn't even put a scratch on it, But anyway in the manual all it says as far as CG is 4 3/4 to 5 1/4 , But I must have done something wrong with where the CG starts I thought that in most planes the CG started at the front of the leading edge, So is this where the CG starts from on this plane, is this were you measure from or what... Thanks so much fellows..

Randy
Old 10-22-2004, 10:32 PM

Default RE: Carl Goldberg Ex-treme 540 question

Randy, the CG measures from the front of the wing at the fuse. Use low rates and maybe a little expo. May sound like a stupid question, but have you flown many profiles? They do feel touchy to start with. Fly it a while till you get a feel for it and then swap over to high rates. If my memory is right then the first time I flew mine the CG was well behind the rear CG in the manual. Spent most of the time in a harrier!

Ed M.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:27 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Carl Goldberg Ex-treme 540 question

Hi,

I used a square off of the top of the fuse to make sure I measured correctly. If your not pretty accurate with this you could be way off.
Mine flies good at 5 3/8", but a little tail down. Harriers and hovers are great, but landing can be a challenge, with any prop wash at all.
I added a little full time spoileron to help with the landings, works for me.

Just a thought, the 330 flies a whole lot better than the 540, LOW inverted passes, rolls on take off at about 5 feet, however don't try a snap roll at 3 or 4 feet on takeoff, the tail hits the ground[X(], all I needed was another foot and it would've looked sweet!

Have fun,

Ken