Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Ratcheted or Smooth Throttle for 3D

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.
View Poll Results: A poll
Ratcheted
40.00%
Smooth
60.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Ratcheted or Smooth Throttle for 3D

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 09:54 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ratcheted or Smooth Throttle for 3D

Which type of throttle do you prefer on your transmitter for flying 3D?

I use a helicopter transmitter with the smooth throttle. For me this is the better set up for 3D, since the sweet spot for hovering is sometimes between clicks on a ratcheted throttle. I see lots of guys, that are much better 3D pilots than me, using transmitters with a ratcheted throttle. I'm wondering if there is a benefit to the ratchets or are they so common only because that is the way airplane transmitters come from the factory.

Eric
Old 11-07-2004, 11:37 PM
wildthing7037

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ratcheted or Smooth Throttle for 3D

When I brought my 3810 it had a smooth rachet installed, and I was very happy with the way it felt, and find it useful for hovering, becuse as you have already said one click can be too much. A smooth throttle is much more precise in my opinion, but its a personal feel thing I think.

Stefan
Old 11-08-2004, 03:25 AM
lomcevek1

Well my answer for that is simple. I rely on feedback through the springs and the ratchets. Especially during a rolling harrier. When you are twitching the rudder back and forth it is easier for me to keep a steady throttle with the ratchets, adding a click or two if needed.

I am also a thumbs flyer so that might have a little to do with it.

Oh yeah if you find that you are finding the sweet spot is between clicks you could program a little expo into your throttle. If your radio supports it.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:51 AM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

I took the ratchet feel out of my Super8, but I've GOTTA be careful when I'm using it with my 31% Extra. A little accidental bump of the throttle stick at idle and it can get hairy quick.

JW
Old 11-11-2004, 07:53 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

I fly without the ratchet, mainly because I also fly helis.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:02 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

I have 2 8103s now. One I also use for sim practice. The ratchet on the trottle is totally worn off the sim radio. I also use that radio for indoor 3D flying and I don't really even miss having the ratchets there.

My other (5 year old) 8103 still has some ratchet feel, and I the way I fly I can't really notice the difference in transitioning from my electric or sim to the glo planes. I thought it would help me be more precise in precision KE or rolling harrier moves, but I really can't tell the difference. It's a lot easier to be precise indoors compared to outdoors, and that's the radio with the smooth throttle.

I fly with my thumbs on top of the sticks, BTW, and don't really consider myself a real precise flyer. I'm happier when flicking the sticks all over the place.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:07 PM
pequeajim
My Feedback: (1)

I take off the rachets for that same reason as Woody. I fly helis and all the rachet does is decrease the resolution of the throttle for hovering, not good.