Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Katana Fans help!

Old 11-17-2004, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Katana Fans help!

Anyone where I can find pictures of the real Katana? I'm curious to try and find color schemes and details etc. I am also curious as to where the white with blue checkered color scheme comes from anyone know? Or is it something that came with the Funtana and that stuff? We hardly ever see any funky color schemes on these other than the usual white or yellow or whatever the case may be with the usual trim on them.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:16 AM

Default RE: Katana Fans help!

I don't think there was ever a fill size Katana. You are right though, we need to see some radical color schemes like people are doing on the other profiles.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:31 AM

Dion found this for me
http://www.pietroterzi.com/

But even the full sized ones didn't see any color. Guess its up to us again
I've asked my buddy who helped design the Yak's scheme to start sketching on the napkin. I'm sure we'll be able to come up with something good again. Or well shall I say we hope I am able to do it. This one will definitely need to be decorated silly with OMP logos and stuff. Anyone that wants to contribute ideas are welcome! But I think we're going to try and go with a simple approach on this one. Don't want to take 2weeks again just to cover it LOL.

You can see the pictures at pietroterzi only has 2 colour schemes there. But their both so dull and boring that's not goin to reach a profile of mine that's for sure.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:52 PM

wow 2 weeks to cover your kat i built my kat kit in a weekend and covered it in a little under the rest of the week! lol but then again i bet it dosnt look like yours either lol! its an awesome plane man have fun with it. what are u putting in the nose of it? mine came out at 4lbs and 4 ounces with a heavy .82 in it
Old 11-19-2004, 02:10 AM

The bird below is the one that took me so long. But heck monokote is a real pain to get perfect. I think I'm going to try Ultracote on the Katana for base colours and basic scheme. Then trim it up with mono to use the windex method. I found the Ultracote to much quicker and easier to work with and my limit experience with it up untill now with it showes that it sags less in our warm South African sun.

I got a OS .46 already cleaned and lined up for it. Also have a bunch of STD servos and some stronger ones for the tail ready to be installed. I try to stick to STD radio gear as far as possible to make my models more of a reality to my friends and fellow modelers. The radio equipment in South Africa is really expensive and well if I pitch up with a plane rigged with digital stuff everyone will simply frown on it and say they can't afford putting together a high performance bird like that. I like getting the show on with std stuff so more people would become interested in 3D flying if you get what I'm trying to say. I would have liked to rig my plane with a YS .63 but that defies my soul purpose with the profiles. Functionality over form and practical high performance models is what I'm aiming at.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85805.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	194345  
Old 11-19-2004, 01:30 PM

yea i understand what your are saying i know so many guys that have multiple 10x radios thats just crazy you can put way too much money in a setup if you all out. but the basic setup is not unacheiable at all anyone could afford it if they wernt so closed minded
Old 11-20-2004, 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: novabill

I don't think there was ever a fill size Katana. You are right though, we need to see some radical color schemes like people are doing on the other profiles.

Sorry for the misinformation Spacey. I was always told the plane was fiction
Old 11-22-2004, 02:19 AM

William you are not too far off about it being fiction There really doesn't seem to be alot going for the full sized design. Perhaps it is still in the design stages and we might see it kick the door in somewhere in the near future but heck I guess we will have to wait and see. I sure hope though that it will become a more common plane at airshows and full scale flying fields. It's funny though how it got so exploided in the model world already and it's got virtually nothing going in the full scale. I think the Funtana color scheme is not ideally what I would want to put on mine. But heck at this point in time nothing has come to mind yet which will look awesome on the profile. Fortunately we have now grown accustomed to South African customs and postal services. So in reality I guess I still have about 5 weeks to play with schemes before the kit will make it me. [:@]
Old 11-22-2004, 08:54 AM

How about a Funtana covering design except with different colors. Instead of the checks on top and bars on bottom why not use lightning bolts like your Yak. Use different colors than white/yellow. How about silver on top and transparent blue on the bottom
Old 11-23-2004, 02:11 AM

Oooooh yeah did you see the scheme master Gator did on hes latest bird? That was what I was originally planning for the yak but couldn't quite get to the basic color layout which would make it work. If Gator gives me permission I might copy that idea. I was also thinking of maybe working something with the South African flag for the plane but it's a touchy subject. I know it would look great on the Katana to maybe do something like that on top but it's going to be very difficult. I have a couple of ideas rolling around now but nothing solid on paper yet. Maybe John Mcnees has a sketch somewhere he would contribute? hint hint...LOL
William I was also considering modifying the Funtana scheme into a running paint idea which I think is one of my stronger ideas at the moment but we'll see how we are going to be able to manipulate it on such a small scale if you know what I mean. The detail is going to be difficult. I don't know if you have seen the Katana scheme in the ads here in RCU lately? The one with the wavey checkered tear away stuff? The white and red one. That is also maybe an idea. There is one of those ARFs flying at our field. But that scheme needs some coloring in.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:19 AM

The flag I forgot to add
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26514.gif
Views:	21
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	195792  
Old 11-23-2004, 08:04 AM