Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Kat 40 Dude!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Thunderhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kat 40 Dude!!

Well, she showed up last nite and I got started. First glance, it looks good. Had one aileron that was a little squirrelly on the trailing edge, but it will not affect anything.
I started out by cutting the covering on the fuse for rear servos and on the wing for the servos and the hatch. Ironed out some of the wrinkles while I was at it. I did get the wing epoxied in. WOW, a terrific fit! I couldnt belive it! If I can only get my wing on my Edge Im building to fit like that.
I didnt open any of the hardware bags, but at first glance, it looks like I got shafted one plastic clevis (only 3 in that particular bag) and couldnt find the plastic strap that holds tail skid to the fuse. They may be floatin around somewhere, who knows. My building board was gettin pretty cluttered after unpaking everything. It wont kill me to not have them. I'll probably end up using Dubro clevis's anyway. (rather have them in than buy more though)
I read earlier in the thread about notchin' out the rudder for clearance. As best I can remember, my is not notched at all, I thought I read where you had to notch it out some more, like it already was a little? I dunno.
Looks like if I get my throttle servo and extensions today, this dude will be ready to go by end of the weekend.
TailTwister says to be patient and go slow when fishin extensions thru fuse. Anyone else have similar trouble?
Gotta get some of that high $$ fuel today to so I can get the YS63 broke in!

Oh, on a side note:
I got my engine last week and opened up the box looked it over and put it up. I was a work (working of course reading about it when it came to my attention that you need not only a fuel filter, but a check valve.
I remembered seeing what was either a filter or a check valve in the box still bagged up. So I checked out Tower Hobbies description and it says it comes with a FILTER.
I got a call from a buddy last nite and he said they dont come with filters they come with check valves (even thought I showed him what Tower stated.)
He said "Hey DUMMY, get it out and blow thru it, you see Im right!" AND yep......, its a check valve. Just thought I'd let other's who might be as dumb as me in on that!

Here is what Tower says verbatim:
INCLUDES: One .63S Four-Stroke model airplane engine with muffler.
One header pipe with two mounting nuts.
One needle valve.
One instruction sheet with parts list.
One fuel filter.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:05 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

There should be a partial cut out in the rudder post. It is under the covering. Cut it larger to clear and seal it with some CA. A YS 63 should be a blast on the Kat.

Dan (dhooks) says that the tail servos are more easily done if both go through together. Use a small weight and a string to get them going and gently pull the wires behind. Maybe he is right.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Thunderhead

Yeah I'm gonna try both at once. That seems more logical to me. Seems it would be tougher to have one in and try to fish another thru.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

I have a Kat 40 ARF from OMP due to arrive on Monday. I'm looking forward to this one! I have a Saito 72 that should power it okay. What's the scoop on servos? I have some Hitec 5925 digitals on the shelf, but this seems like overkill for such a light airplane. I have considered some ball bearing Airtronics servos I have, with a 5 cell NiMh pack. What are the rest of you using?
Old 01-14-2005, 02:37 PM
TailTwister

HS-525s ailerons
HS-545s tail
5cell pack
Old 01-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Basement Troll
My Feedback: (3)

I'm feeling pretty dumb right now as I just ran the servo wires on the outside and covered them with white covering. I didn't see in the instructions anywhere that you could fish the wires through. Maybe it could still be done. I'm not sure I'll bother as it looks ok anyway. Where do you pull the wires back out of the fuselage?

Don Henning

By the way the new "Basement Troll" handle is what my wife calls me whenever I work on my planes. I figure I've called a lot worse so it would make a good RCU nickname.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:46 PM
TailTwister

There is a dime sized hole on both sides of the fuselage near the servos. There is another hole in the fuselage, just under theTE of the wing, just about 3/4 inch forward of the hinge line. There is a third hole, this time in the wing, about half an inch forward of that. Use gentle pressure with a finger tip to find them.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:50 PM
RCSM

how do you think it will fly with a os 50 2 stroke?
Old 01-14-2005, 11:20 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RCSM

how do you think it will fly with a os 50 2 stroke?

it should fly it fine, I opted for my Magnum 46 but had considered the 52xls with the largest rop I could use with it. I flew it before with a 46fx and it was fine. If I can I will scrounge up some pennies next month and slap a Saito 72 on it!

As far as the servo question above from Woody I have Futaba 3004's all around and they work perfect. This airplane was designed to work with standard servos so there is no need to go overboard

matt
Old 01-15-2005, 12:34 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

From all the talk, it looks like this one is a winner. I sure hope so, mine is setting in the shop waiting on me to put it together. All of my engines are in other planes so I ordered an Irvine .53. Just my luck it was back ordered. The Irvine shipped Wednesday, so I will be lucky if it makes it here this weekend.[]

I have a set of Tetherite gear to go on it, but I think I may put the stock gear on and use (abuse) them till they fail.

Eric
Old 01-15-2005, 12:20 PM
TailTwister

The gear seems a bit soft, but it did save me on one belly flop. I put the wheels almost into the covering. With temps in the teens, synthetics would have broken. By spring, I'll have Teatherite on it.

A good 50 is a beautiful thing. Gator has a Webra 50 on his, I think it was Gator anyway...

Some pilots like 4 strokes, some like 2 strokes. As long as it won't crap out in a maneuver and will create 1.5:1 thrust, I say go for it.

I over-power, therefore I over-servo...
Old 01-15-2005, 01:39 PM
gremlins2g-RCU

recieved mine a few days ago. My first skinny too! Looks like I'm gonna have a great time with this one. Have a well run in Irvine .53 for it.

Tony
New probro#1416
Old 01-15-2005, 01:52 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Gator has a Webra? Surely not! I could believe he had switched to jets easier.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Webra 50, but Gator???

Eric

ORIGINAL: TailTwister

A good 50 is a beautiful thing. Gator has a Webra 50 on his, I think it was Gator anyway...

I over-power, therefore I over-servo...
Old 01-15-2005, 02:25 PM
TailTwister

I thought it was Gator. But you are right, he is an Irvine man at heart. Maybe dhooks? I'm getting lots of Bros mixed up these days. Brain is fried...
Old 01-15-2005, 09:16 PM
Basement Troll

Hey guys did you see my landing on my Kat's maiden voyage? Not everbody can do that. I think it almost rivals that Kyle fella's Funtana video. What do you think?
Don
Old 01-16-2005, 10:40 PM
dhooks

I have the webra .50 on mine.

Fish the servo wires through the slot at the same time. I did one of mine one way an the other together. When I did it seperately it took me about 45 min. When I did them together only about 5-10. I used a piece of yarn with some weight on the end ......worked like a charm.

Any of you other guys have yours flying yet?

Btw dig the maiden landing in the tree!
Old 01-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Grotesquebass
My Feedback: (16)

had some fun today
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96693.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	216656  
Old 01-17-2005, 09:18 PM
dhooks

Boy dig that water pic. BTW I was just down in Jacksonville this weekend....any good fields around there? Especially west of there around the Lake City area?
Old 01-30-2005, 06:18 AM
Grotesquebass
My Feedback: (16)

i fly at gateway rc field good people around there altho weather has been garbage the last 3 weekends i am gonna go fly today after i get some sleep prolly will just go down to local schoolyard field is 25 miles away[:@][:@]
Old 01-30-2005, 03:34 PM
VanWidick
My Feedback: (22)

Nice pictures and videos.

I got about 6 videos of this plane on my website.

Enjoy.

Van

[link=http://www.tulsa3d.com]www.tulsa3d.com [/link]

Old 01-30-2005, 03:37 PM
VanWidick

Ive seen a guy fly it with the OS 50 and did fine.

I put a YS 63 on mine and the power is sweet.

Fly it low and hard.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:06 PM
grnd0
My Feedback: (4)

Flew mine today for the first time today. What a great plane!
I was a little reluctant to put my trusty Irvine 53 in it after
flying my Extreme Flight Edge with a Saito 72 for the past
couple months. Thought I was totally converted to 4C's. After
flying the Kat with the 2C I'm not so sure. Both planes are
great and I think the Kat might end up being my fave. By the
way, 75deg and no wind today in FL.

Larry
Old 02-03-2005, 09:44 PM
VanWidick

I took my CG back some to see how it walled and hovered, seems really smooth going into a wall and hovering it.

More time and it will get lower and lower.

Here is some video of it.

[link=http://www.tulsa3d.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=38]See Video Of My Katana 40 Profile[/link]
Old 02-04-2005, 07:01 AM
dhooks

ORIGINAL: ********rocks

I took my CG back some to see how it walled and hovered, seems really smooth going into a wall and hovering it.

More time and it will get lower and lower.

Here is some video of it.

[link=http://www.tulsa3d.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=38]See Video Of My Katana 40 Profile[/link]
Sweet dude....if I didnt have Dial up Id dl it....[:@]

Where do you have your CG now?
Old 04-22-2005, 08:56 AM
Dangerous Dan

Wow! I have been getting really excited about this plane, ever since I clicked on the RCU add. I have built a lot of planes! I am nearly always dissapointed in the final weight.

Call me greedy but What can I do to make this plane even lighter.

I would be using a saito .72

standard servos all around with hs 81 on throttle

Lighter wheels?

NiMh 720 mha 6V?

I read that the stock gear is 2.1 oz which is as light as the carbon gear, I can handle straightning it out on a hard landing?

What is the lightest you have seen and what was the setup. I figure I can save 3-4 oz with a micro on throttle, NiMh battery, and lighter wheels.

I had a 4lb 10oz Fun Air 3D with Saito .72 that Flew Awsome, I would would like get this plane under 4lb with saito .72 and standard servos with micro on throttle is it possible?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.