Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Hey Pizazz owners!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 07:17 PM
rplumbo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Pizazz owners!

Anyone else have their aluminum engine mounting plates break? When I went to replace a broken one (of two) I found the other was also broken. This came after another guy at my field had his break. He told me this was relatively common, and I didn't believe him until mine broke the next day. This seems like it could be awfully dangerous. The crack ran threw a clearance hole for the bolt which held my engine on. This happened on both sides. This really needs to change, my engine could have escaped!
By the way, Horizon service is just phenomenal. I ordered a new set of plates, they covered them under warrantee and arrived 2 days from when I called.

Reid
Old 08-31-2002, 02:24 AM
Joe Trinkley

no problems here yet, you may have jinxed me though
Old 09-01-2002, 06:23 AM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

It sounds like great service nice to know.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:28 PM
tdean71
My Feedback: (13)

Default Hangar 9 hardware is cheap

I broke many of those engine mounts when I owned my Pizazz - the biggest reason I sold the plane. Horizon was good about replacing them under warranty, but wouldn't sell me extras because they wouldn't put them as a part (with a part #) in their system.

My experience with the Hangar 9 products is that the planes are pretty good but the hardware sucks. Tanks leak, pushrods are brittle, engine mounts brittle, etc. The first thing I do when I get a H9 ARF is to toss the stock hardware and replace with Great Planes or Dubro hardware. Unfortunately, this makes the cost of the plane go up - which is why I haven't bought a H9 for a while.

And, in case you wonder, it was not just the Pizazz I had hardware problems with - I also had an Aresti .40 and still have an Ultra Stick .60. I also have several friends that have had the same experience with the mounts as well as the other H9 hardware...

Tom
Old 09-22-2002, 07:02 AM
Epoxy Cup

Default Pizazz mounts

Just had a friends Pizazz crack its aluminum plate mounts as described in the post. We replaced with thicker strips well see if it holds. Thought about a light ply in U-shape as some older Goldberg models done this way. Anyway anyone with the Pizazz keep an eye on the engine mounts. My friends plane probably only had 15 or 20 flights. Great plane otherwise getting one myself.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:49 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default why not fix it?

I hust got my Pizazz yesterday and it will be ready to fly tonight. I have about 6 hours in it, and just have the engine/throttle cable to hook up and set up the radio. WHat a fast building arf - my first, but I thought it would take longer.

Anyhow, with all these problems regarding the mounting plates, I merely cut new ones from 1/8" G10 composite plate, you know the extremely tough fibreglass composite that they make many heli parts and car parts from? If you crack the plates repeadedly, why in the world would you bother to get new ones, and reinstall them knowing you will have to replace them again?? Just use something else that wont break from the vibration. I am sure even a piece of aircraft ply would be fine, like they used in many older kits.

I am using a Saito FA80 and I expect a good flying bird from what I have seen so far!

AJC
Old 09-22-2002, 06:54 PM
rplumbo
My Feedback: (3)

Well, after I cracked the second set of plates, I milled some 3/4" aluminum bar stock down to about 3/16". These have been holding strong for about 3 weeks on high rates. I'd recommend this treatment to all pizazz owners!
Reid
Old 09-22-2002, 07:12 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get 1/8 or 3/16 6061, 2024, 2011 alloys at most metal places (I deal with metal supermarket) in 1/2" widths, buy a foot for less than a buck and you have saved a lot of milling, HA!

I was thinking of using some 6061-T6 1/8" plate, but the G10 (I use it in making model heli parts) is SUPER strong, and designed to take vibration. Its also lighter. You can buy a piece of G10 in the RC car section of your local hobby shop.

AJC
Old 09-23-2002, 12:55 PM
wingspan99
My Feedback: (2)

Default .090" 6061-T6

I too had my mounting plates crack after about 70 flights. They both cracked behind the rear engine mounting bolts. I made new plates from .090" 6061-T6 aluminum. I have about 10 flights on them now. The aluminum that came with the kit was very brittle. If they gave me 100 spares I wouldn't use them for anything that flies. I agree, H9 hardware is crap. But the fact is that the majority of buyers don't know the difference. -Tom
Old 09-26-2002, 12:15 AM
STEVE LENZ
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hangar ( motor mounts )

I had one break on my daughter Easy 2 ARF . But it was on a dead stick and it did not make it back . Landed behind some large bushes bent the gear a bit . But it did not take out the fire wall I would rather pay $6.95 and get it flying asap than fix a fuse repair. And adding a bunch weight gluing it back. My hat"s off to Hangar 9 . I had a great planes mount that would of worked but went with new Hangar 9 instead.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:36 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Default pizazz

Greetings! vibration is the problem. use rubber grommets between engine and mount, also use thicker engine mounts other than what was supplied with Pizazz. I did [after the third set of mounts] and have never had a problem since. Outstanding fun-flyer and will get another if it ever crashes. seeya
Old 09-26-2002, 06:39 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default lomsmith

It seems that you reported a post here. I am not sure where the problem lies. Can you be more specific_bob