Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 Wingtote Heckler 3D manual missing from box >

Wingtote Heckler 3D manual missing from box

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Wingtote Heckler 3D manual missing from box

Old 02-05-2005, 04:06 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wingtote Heckler 3D manual missing from box

All-

If anyone has a manual to this little plane and could be so kind as to post it (it can't be that big) I would really appreciate it.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of an existing location on the web where I could find this manual would pass along the link, again my thanks.

Fly on.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 02-05-2005, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wingtote Heckler 3D manual missing from box

I didn't get one with mine, either. It's not much of a trick to put one thgether. Did you have a specific question?

I would recommend replacing the wing bolt with a 1/4-20 and glue some good ply underneath to tap into to. The soft wood threads tend to strip out.

Use some tail braces, wires, whatever. I blew my fin off in a blender. Got it down OK.

Also consider moving the rudder servo to the rear or both elevator and rudder.

Great little plane. I use a GMS .47 with an APC 11.5-4 prop. Good combo. Don't go fast!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99699.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	225364   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45143.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	225365  
Old 02-05-2005, 11:28 PM

No Specifics really Ed, just for reference. I'm a bit anal for stuff like documentation. Occupational hazard as an engineer.
I've read through your posts from last year on this plane and appreciated the comments as I'm putting mine together presently. I'm epoxying the fin and horizontal stab on this weekend and preparing to do the remainder of the rigging.
The plane is a very simple design so, I don't have any airframe questions.

Chief aircraft out of Oregon had this plane, which I've had my eye on for some time now, for $99 or $139 with an MDS .40. I went ahead and got the plane with the engine even though I'm a O.S. engine faithful. The reviews on MDS engins are pretty widely varying from "great for the price" motors to complete junk.

As for specifics I do have this: After having flown your plane now for a while (based on your climate), If given the choice of engines between the above metioned MDS, (465g w/muffler and an advertized 1.3 BHP) which compares very close to your GMS .47 which is 475g w/muffler and an advertized
output of 1.47 hp@15,000 rpm, and a much lighter but less powerful O.S. .40 la (341g w/muffler -1.0 BHP @15,000 rpm) , and my old trusty O.S. .46 FX ( 467g -1.6 BHP @ 16,000rpm) Which would you choose?

I understand that all of the above figures are estimates at best with respect to pwer output based on a myriad of fators but serve well for comparison.

I have no issues with fitting any of these engines to the plane mechanically. My question is which of these engines in your opinion would be best suited for this plane and the kind of flying it's designed for.

In short, what makes a funfly, well fun?
Old 02-05-2005, 11:40 PM

(Shoot. I hit submit before I was done)
So, I continue with my babbling already in progress:

Is the critical factor all about wing loading? -which would favor a lighter engine. Or is more power, even with the weight penalty, worth it "just because you gotta be able to rocket out of a hover"?

Forgive the rudimentary questions with regard to 3D flying as this is my first plane with these characteristics and I wanted to try to match the plane with the the best engine that I have to choose from.

I welcome comments from anyone in this forum.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 02-06-2005, 12:52 AM

Shane, I'd put the FX in the Heckler. I've flown one with a Tigershark 52 and seen one fly with a brand new 46AX and this size/type of engine makes a great powerplant for this plane. I've also seen them go with a Webra 32/Mousse can pipe, which is also a very good combo. The 46FX is such a nice simple setup though [8D].
Old 02-06-2005, 02:42 AM

Thanks for your input Ryan. (You used to be local, no?)

I saw all of the video of you and JohnVH from last year and they were what cinched my decision to get this plane. It just took me a while to get around to getting one. They are getting scarce though.

Yeah, the FX. What a great engine. Unfortunately it is the only of the three engines currently employed in another plane and wasn't going to yard it out of there unless I got a lot of advice against the other two candidate engines.

I recall from one of the other threads on this plane, JohnVH mentioning he was going to put a .40 LA to see how it performed.

I never found any post on whether or not he tried this combination or what the results were.

I'm not using the stock engine mounts in favor of a Great Planes adjustable mount angled enough to allow the exhaust to exit middle bottom between the landing gear. This set up should allow me to try all three (eventually) without any major modifications otherwise.

I was really just trying to take advantage of better fliers experience to minimize hassle. But with your thoughts on the FX, I'm going to give it a second thought now.

Actually, the motor mount hole pattern is identical between the .40 LA and the MDS (what a tank!) so those two can be swapped with minimal effort. If I remember right, the FX hole pattern is slightly different. No biggie. It wouldn't be the first time I've had eight holes in a motor mount!

Again, thanks again for your advice.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:56 AM

I have one you can have. It's about 10 pages long. I can probably scan it into 5 pages and email it to you.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:39 PM

I would use the old FX. You don't want any engine problems when you get down close to the ground. I would also use the APC 11.5-4 prop. It will rev up a little more and give you slightly less climb, but it will give you much easier engine control. Any .46 will do for power-the plane's not very heavy. I think it's better to have the fine power control than more climb.

I rarely ever used full power, but for coming down and touching the tail, it's nice to not have 1 click of power move the plane around too much.

The plug in the front of my tank came out, or loose, and dumped fuel all the way down the fuselage. I have a new fuselage, but haven't flown it since the re-build. I have been messing around with twins and float planes. I did pick up a second kit from Chief just to have as a reserve.

The checkerboard bottom covering came after I broke all the shear webs loose doing blenders. There must be some kind of stress during one of those.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:40 PM

I PM you with my email addy.

Many thanks.

You have a manual, do you still have the plane?
Old 02-06-2005, 01:48 PM

Ed- Sorry to hear about the tank puke.

So far that's two votes for the FX.

-My Supersportster is looking nervously at me now like a horse with a broken leg would look at doctor with a rusty scalpel snooping around the barn for spare body parts...
Old 02-11-2005, 11:53 AM
My Feedback: (10)

I've just picked up a NIB Heckler 3D from JohnVH last week that I will be prepping for this years flying season. I will be powering it with a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro.

regarding Blowing a tank plug, i have heard of some folks replacing the provided plug with an aftermarket one. Has anyone done this, and if so what brands are recommended?

Murcielago-- I would appreciate it if you could send me a copy of the manual also. I have emailed you with my request as well.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 02-13-2005, 10:27 PM

I put a old 1985 Webra .28 on mine and it hovered at a little over half throttle and came in at 3 1/2 lbs. It wasn't a rocket out of a hover, but it had plenty of pull out.

I briefly put on a Webra .35 Aero and it was a rocket.

Keep the wingloading low, it'll fly a lot better that way!!!
Old 02-18-2005, 06:55 PM

Shane (and others),

Sorry for the delay in responding, this post was just sent to me!

My name is Mike Brey, President of Brey Corp. We are the new owners of WingTOTE (effective October). We have a few of these kits which were acquired in the purchase. Please email your contact information and address to Kris Mann at: [email protected] and we will happily send you a copy of the manual free of charge.

Thanks for your support!

Sincerely,
Mike Brey

Old 12-13-2014, 01:27 PM

I'm looking for the manual too. Do you still have a copy? What's the best way to get you my email address (new to the site)?