Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Aeron flight report added >

Aeron flight report added

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Aeron flight report added

Old 09-10-2002, 01:10 PM
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeron flight report added

Well, here are a few pics of my Aeron in production. fiirst the wing:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	25305_3898.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	16122  
Old 09-10-2002, 01:11 PM

Default Aeron

And taken last evening, eaverything on the table, ready for hinge slot cutting:
DKjens

Name:	25306_3898.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	16123  
Old 09-10-2002, 03:51 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Looks nice Jens..... Anything to watch out for? I'm going to be building mine soon.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:00 PM

Default Aeron

Paul,
I made one mistake when building the wing, I sheeted top and bottom before gluing sheer webs. Not a big deal, since as you can see I made some large lightening holes in the sheer webs. This way I could still get them in place and hold them while applying glue. One place in the instructions confused me. The Rx/battery compartment in the wing has a 1/64" ply bottom glued in for strength. When this step is shown, I can swear it shows it glued in on the same side (bottom) as where all the servos mount. Later in the instructions, when the hatch for this compartment is cut, which would be on the top side of the wing, the instructions show the hatch on the bottom. I prefer my hatch on the top, so I'm happy mine came out this way, but it shure makes you go back and forth in the instructions loking for just where you went wrong he he.
Also, I really think the ailerons and elevators are overly structurely dimensioned, so I left some of the wood out, or substituted 5/8 x 1/4 with 1/4 square. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see. The same goes for the fuse, it has a lot of wood in it, beside the sheeting.
I am going to have to put it aside for a few days, since I have a U-Can-Do-3D I want to get ready for the weekend. It will be powered by a YS120NC Woooo Hooooo. Also, in my head I have some intricate plans for the covering, which I know will be time consuming, so the coming weekend would be out of the question for the Aeron anyway. Which engine do you have in mind for your Aeron? I have my YS53FZ swinging a Zinger14x4.
DKjens
Old 09-10-2002, 11:58 PM

I've got a Webra 50 for mine. Should be plenty of power... for only 13 oz.... Have you weighed you airframe yet? I'm interested to see what the wing load on this thing will be..... My buddies Aces Edge came out a few ounces less that 4 lbs.... That's low!!!

When I looked through the plans, I noticed the 1/64 sheeting in the radio area... Seams like over kill to me... I've never used ply in a radio area... The 1/16 sheeting always seemed like enough. I'll probably want to do my hatch on the top of the wing too.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:06 AM

Default Aeron weight

Paul,
I just started on the Aeron again, after finishing my U Can Do 3D. I slottet for all the hinges tonight, and I put some things on the scale.

The Bones: 22.5 oz
YS53FX + Zinger14x4: 19.5 oz
2 x 4 oz Tanks: 3 oz
5xServos, 1xbatt., 1xRx: 15.5 oz
Main and tail gear: 5 oz

For a total of 65.5 oz, so I guess I will be somewhere at 4.25-4.5 lbs. Just goes to show why its much easier with larger funflys ha ha.
DKjens
Old 09-18-2002, 12:07 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Aeron - Looking Good!

Jens, Your Aeron is looking good. Sorry to hear that you were confused regarding the 1/64" aircraft ply laminate for the radio compartment. The Aeron that I am flying now (not the one that I used for the construction set) has the hatches on top. That is because I am older / wiser / & lazyer (LOL). I put the 1/64" aircraft ply in mine because I have more than 1 batt. pack shoot out of the wing in a radical spin . I've tried that extra layer of 1/16" balsa and it still broke, so I've moved to the 1/64" aircraft ply.

I see that you elected to install the 1/8" x 1/4" balsa diagonals in the control surfaces and 1/16" balsa sheeting on the fuse. The last one that I help a guy build, we omitted these and it came out less that 4 lbs. w/ a Webra 50 - Mac header & tuned pipe, 5- MPI 870 servos, 1200 mH Batt. pack.

Paul - just hand pick medium density 3/8" SQ. balsa piece for the bottom of the fuse frame. This is what we did with success.

The Aeron that I am flying now is just over 4lbs and is unlimited vertical with the Webra 50 at 1/4 throttle. Mine doesn't lack for power. I am thinking of building another one for me and put a Webra 32 on it.
Guys, I set my CG about 1/8" behind the spar and it will do everything that you want on demand. Remember that the spar has already been moved back in the rib design.
Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Be sure to let us see the finished product and a flight report - Jens!

By the way, the rest of the parts came in last night for the new Ecstasy. I am boxing them up, shipping them this week at an introductory price of $189 USD (shipped within 48 US states).
Kevin
Old 09-24-2002, 04:59 PM

Default What's going On?

Have you done anything further with your Aeron Kit?
Paul said that he was going to start on his this week.
Kevin
Old 09-24-2002, 08:00 PM

Default Aeron

Kevin,
I've been bussy trying to stay cool here. We have heat and fires here right now, maybe I'll get to the building table tonight.
DKjens
Old 10-06-2002, 11:41 PM

Default Aeron is finished,

too bad I have to wait til next weekend to fly it. Here are some pictures I took after running the YS53FZ and taxiing around in my back drive way he he.

Name:	29116_3898.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	16124  
Old 10-06-2002, 11:42 PM

Default And one

of the bottom:

Name:	29118_3898.jpg
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	16125  
Old 10-06-2002, 11:44 PM

Default The last two pictures

were taken in low light, here is one from inside before servos were mounted.

Name:	29119_3898.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	16126  
Old 10-06-2002, 11:49 PM

Default Throws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have more throws on this plane than any other I've built or assembled, it is going to be a blast. It is a little nose heavy, but with the throw I have on elevator (+/- 70-80 degrees) I think she will tumble and spin just the same he he. My rudder and ailerons also have the same extreme throws, now I am happy i lined the inside of the RX/Battery compartment with light ply ha ha.
DKjens

Name:	29120_3898.jpg
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	16127  
Old 10-06-2002, 11:54 PM

Default LOOKING GOOD!

DKJens - Your Aeron looks great! Unique coving scheme - I LIKE IT!
Have you weighed your yet?
I noticed that you ran your fuel lines over the top of the fuse. I normally run the fuel lines between the backplate of the engine and the fuse. This way the engine does not have to draw the fuel up and over the fuse. Makes for a more reliable fuel draw and pick-up.
I will swipe your pics, if I can, to post on my website.
Kevin
Old 10-07-2002, 12:00 AM

Default CG

I set mine 1/8" behind the spar. Remember that with this wing design, the spar has been moved back already, so don't treat this one like the other guys. LOL
Kevin
Old 10-07-2002, 01:38 PM

Looks sweet Jens!!! I like the clear here and there.... Can't wait to hear how it flys.... I finished my wing last night and one of the aileron's.... I've got to do the other aileron, the tail feathers and fuse to do..... I'm thinking of a pretty crazy theme.... Gonna tap into the creative mind of the master coverer, gator to help me a little....
Old 10-13-2002, 12:55 AM

Default Flew it today.

I had two good flights with the Aeron today. I went to a semi local hobby shop yesterday for an apc prop. I wanted an apc14x4 if it exists and if they had it. The guy there told me that was to much for the YS53, and that I should get an apc13x4W, I think it's a Wide prop, but can be wrong. The YS53 swings the snot out of this prop, I didn't tach it, but the whole wing/covering is singing at WOT. As mentioned earlier, my Aeron came in a bit heavy, and a bit nose heavy as well. It needed some 5 clicks or so up elevator trim, and would dive badly when inverted, to be expexted. I have one washer right thrust, but will go to two washers. When hovering it really pulls on to its canopy, but probably because of the up trim in elevator. Knife edge is really nice, not much aileron required, take it easy on the rudder, but of cause it pulled, I just dont remember to where he he. With rudder input there is some down pitch. I did e few inverted flat spins, but you really have to find the right throttle, elevator, aileron setting to make it the best. Also as mentioned, Ii have extreme throw in all control surfaces, approaching +/- 70-80 degrees, so no wonder one cant just corner the right stick for a flat spin, but that is what makes these planes fun. If desired, I could always put a low rate on elevator and aileron, that would do the best flat spins in the corner. I have two 4oz tanks on my aeron, and I get 20 minutes of flight with that.

I am on my way to my garage to see how much lighter my TT54FS is than the YS53FZ, and possibly mount that in stead, to see how that performs. For the YS53FZ, I am almost enclined to enlarge the plans by some 20-25% for a 60" wingspan Aeron. I think I could build it with the same weight, but have 40-50% more area, now that would bring the wingloading down. Oh yeah, did I mention, roll rate is a blur, as fast as my Pinwhell Twin. Also, when mixing in flapperons with elevator, for tighter loops, mix up ailerons with up elevator, and vice versa.

It's been a while since I've flown a small plane like this, and boy is it harder to land ha ha.

DKjens
Old 10-13-2002, 01:51 AM

have you checked the wing incidnence on this thing? Maybe it's off by a few degrees.

Where in Pasadena do you fly? I'm going to be out that way 2nd week in November... Maybe I'll see ya... I'll be bringing my Pizza box...
Old 10-13-2002, 06:02 PM

Well, there's not much I can do about the wing incidence now, except reflexing my ailerons, and that wouldn't help either, since they act more like elevators, than flaps/spoilerons on this plane. I tryed to build it as true as possible (don't we all), so I think it's just nose heavy, we'll see.

Actually I don't fly in Pasadena, but in El Monte. It's a large park called Whittier Narrows. Bring your AMA of cause and show it at the entrance to the park, and you won't have to pay the $3.00 weekend parking fee. Call me as we approach that time, and I'll explain in debt how to get there etc. I only get to fly on weekends, mostly Saturday mornings, hope you'll have a chance to join me.

DKjens
Old 10-13-2002, 06:09 PM

I've flown at Whittier Narrows before... Nice place... I think Saturday morning would be cool.. I think the only thing I'll be able to fit is my Pizza box... And actually I'll just bring the gear and hope to find a chunk of coroplast when I get there.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:21 PM

Paul,
Just bring an engine, Rx and Tx and throw it on/in one of my planes ha ha, just kidding, although I have an empty Fledge540 here.
DKjens
I better practice my hovering before you see me fly, can''t have a fellow ProBro tell all the other ProBros I don't know how to fly ha ha.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:25 PM

What's a fledge540?

Do you know of anyplace I can get some coro out there?
Old 10-13-2002, 08:42 PM

My Fledge540 is the Ohio Models Edge540, but with foam wing/fuse covered with balsa. I know a local guy who builds a bunch of these coro planes, I'll try to get hold of him and get a location for that stuff.
DKjens