Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

New Sledge 540

Old 09-28-2002, 04:06 PM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Sledge 540

Jeff, I'll be honest but saying I didn't realize what you were referring too when you said I beams until Wayne told me. I've never cut the shears to sit in the middle of the spar to create the I so instead I mounted them on the front side with the grain up/down. Either way they shouldn't be any problems...

My wing is finished, I'll get some pictures up later.
Old 09-29-2002, 12:28 AM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Sledge 540

Wreckrman, did you not understand I-beams because the manual was not clear. Just want to know if a revision is in order? I really put a lot of time into the manual and tried to make it clear enough for a beginner. Sometimes you cannot see the forest because of the trees.
BTW 3Dreaming and I flew the lightweight today. Having some engine problems but it flew great what we got in. Inside loops are really tight. I will give more detail Monday, final flying weight was 3lbs and 3oz not bad. Jeff W.
Old 09-29-2002, 12:30 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Default New Sledge 540

Originally posted by JWilliams
Wreckrman, did you not understand I-beams because the manual was not clear.
Ha! I can think of about 30 smart comments I could make right now......

Manual is clear Jeff for MOST people. :stupid:
Old 09-29-2002, 12:33 AM
JWilliams

Default New Sledge 540

Wayne you missed it today. The wx was awesome and the lightweight did well. That is all I want to say for now. Jeff W.
Old 09-29-2002, 01:31 AM
WreckRman2
Banned

Default New Sledge 540

Originally posted by JWilliams
Wreckrman, did you not understand I-beams because the manual was not clear. Just want to know if a revision is in order?
No No! I'll be honest... I haven't read the directions much. I think compaired to the Knife your directions are far more superior!
Old 09-30-2002, 12:00 AM
3Dreaming
My Feedback: (1)

Default Sledge

Well we got in some more sledge flying this morning. I about have the engine problems worked out. The light airplane flies as good or better than the heavier one, but I do not know if it flies enough better for the extra trouble. One of the changes I made was to add counter balances to the elevators like the Top Cap. This airplane will loop tighter,and fly slower than its heavier counter part. I also have been getting some very wild spins, and tumbles. With spoilerons mixed in it will elevator very well with little wing rock. I think this is going to be a keeper. Here is a picture with Jeff Williams before the first flight. Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	28197_5508.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	17075  
Old 09-30-2002, 01:25 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default New Sledge 540

Originally posted by wgeffon

Ha! I can think of about 30 smart comments I could make right now......

Manual is clear Jeff for MOST people. :stupid:
Then why did you do your shear webs like you did?? LOL

Being lucky enough to have a great deal of edge-glued 1/16" balsa drop left over from a recent sheeting job, I made my shear webs from full-bay vertical grain balsa, I-beamed (this is used a lot in gliders..those guys are serious about light+strong wings.)

I don't know if I would have went this way if the balsa wasn't already edge glued...but I still would have went full bay...
Old 09-30-2002, 01:36 AM
wgeffon

Default New Sledge 540

Originally posted by ChuckAuger

Then why did you do your shear webs like you did?? LOL

Me?

Cause It was easier to do it this way and I am lazy......

I took the 3 inch wide sheet turned it so the grain was vertical, Cut it to length, glued to the front of the spars and also glued it to the in-board rib.
Your gonna have a hard time convincing me that its any weaker that way.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:49 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Well it ain't crashed..

So I guess it'll be just fine..

I was just yankin' your chain over the constuction manual comment...but then I didn't follow it, either
Old 09-30-2002, 01:52 AM
wgeffon

Default Re: Well it ain't crashed..

Originally posted by ChuckAuger
I was just yankin' your chain over the constuction manual comment...but then I didn't follow it, either
I was tryingto make it a slam about WreckRman. I guess It didnt come out that way.

Also, chain yanking is approved and welcomed!
Old 09-30-2002, 03:54 AM
WreckRman2
Banned

Default New Sledge 540

The only slamming I've seen this weekend was a heli... That's a slam! hehe

My Sledge is all built except for the ailerons... It's a piece of cake to build and I can't wait to dork it.... umm I mean tork it... I probably should have built myself two of them. LOL
Old 09-30-2002, 04:06 AM
WreckRman2
Banned

Default New Sledge 540

BTW, I think Morris' Laser cutting is a hot butter knife...

I be honest I've never built a laser cut kit before but I've heard that laser cutting is more precise, requires less sanding and is much better. Well on this kit some pieces are off by 1/8" from the plans, some of the cuts aren't straight and some the pieces don't have flat edges either, they are kinda of rounded on the edges. Is this normal for a laser cut kit or do they have Robert cutting them with a hot butter knife? LOL If so then what's with all the great talk of laser kits? I can post some pics later of what I'm talking about to give you a better understanding...
Old 09-30-2002, 11:09 AM
Kevins_RC

Default Laser cutting

There are several advantages to laser cutting over die cutting.
1. Consistent parts - the 100/200th part is the same as the 1st.
2. You don't have to sharpen the laser (LOL).

The only thing about laser cut parts is that you should (my belief) that you should lightly sand off the carbon left behind from the laser cutting process where you are going to apply glue. This ensures a good bond. Not all people believe that this matters. I am not one of those.

Realize, Wreckman2 that there is shrinkage / distortion when you reproduce a print, around 2% (+/-). You'll find more issues with reproducing the prints than you'll see with consistency with laser cutting technology.

I am not sure what issues you are referring to regarding your laser cut kit, but the laser cuts it the same everytime! I am curious to see what you were referring to. Sharing that information, can possibly help Robert or Jeff to resolve it so that others do not have to encounter it, if it is in deed an issue.
Kevin
Old 09-30-2002, 12:13 PM
latch66

Default New Sledge 540

There are some problems on the lazer cutting of the Sledge kits.

I received a few ribs which the edges were cut at an angle (app. 45 degrees) instead of 90 degrees.

If you sand the edge flush, then the part is too small. If left alone, you have no area for glue and the part is too large.

Morris, replaced my ribs with new ones. I could have just as easily cut them from extra stock using the good ones as templates. But I felt it would be better to let them know they had a problem.

Seems like I'm not the only one.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:28 PM
3Dreaming

Default Sledge

WreckRman2, and to all who are building the Sledge. When you build the ailerons move the inboard 1/4in. stick outboard 1/4 inch. thiis will give will allow the aileron to move to the bevels without hitting the fuselage. Tom
Old 09-30-2002, 01:22 PM
JWilliams

Default New Sledge 540

I will call Morris today and check into the laser cut ribs. The two sets I received were perfect and I am puzzled as to why they may be off. Rest assured, it will be fixed and I apologize to all who had any part that is not correct. If anyone is building a sledge and does not understand any segment of construction, email me at [email protected] I will be happy to answer you questions.
3Dreamings new sledge, which I have termed "lightweight" is very nice. I will probably go thru the effort of building one and making a manual attachment so others may attempt it. It does extremely tight loops inside or outside (waterfalls) and got a climbing tornado out if too. (Yes Kevin Harbrecht it did a tornado)
To say it was way better that a standard weight sledge, it is not. I hope that 3Dreaming and I will attend some fly ins next summer and some of you can see it. Jeff Williams
Old 09-30-2002, 01:58 PM
Kevins_RC

Default Tornado

Glad to hear it - Jeff! I figured that it would do it, it just needed a different style of entry from my designs.
I went to a local Fly-In this past weekend and flew the Aeron & Ecstasy (didn't have enough room for the others - I need a trailer). I did the climbing Tornado with both of them there. Several individuals came to me after my flights and asked what that manuver was called. The climbing Tornado sure does get people's attention. I guess that is why I love it so much. Another attention getter is the climbing knife edge spin. Seeing that fuselage horizontal to the ground, aircraft spinning, just lay the wing back a little and it maintains altitude. Then lay it back a little further, and watch it climb!
Simply AWESOME!!!
Kevin
Old 09-30-2002, 07:19 PM
WreckRman2
Banned

Default New Sledge 540

The ribs on mine were pretty good except some of the cutouts for the spars were to sloppy meaning wider than 1/4" and a couple weren't deep enough. As for the other stuff take a look at these pictures. Keep in mind this is nothing to overcome however I was just curious because I've always heard how precise laser cutting it. Where the rear stab is to mount the fuselage I had to add an 1/8" piece to take the slop out. On the front it's just a matter of shortening the fuse but it's still off quite a bit from the plans.

Again, nothing someone can easily overcome but I thought it was a little odd...

http://www.********.net/sledge/dcp_0595.jpg
http://www.********.net/sledge/dcp_0596.jpg