Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
What kinda CA do you guys use? >

What kinda CA do you guys use?

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

What kinda CA do you guys use?

Old 09-26-2002, 05:55 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kinda CA do you guys use?

Exactly what the title says.. I've been using GP CA from tower and it SUCKS.. it dries out quickly, etc.. the stuff just sucks.. What are you guys using??
Old 09-26-2002, 07:53 AM
My Feedback: (10)

I'm not extremely brand-loyal, though I do have favorites. I'll buy what the LHS has, though.
That said, if he has every popular brand, I'll usually reach for Zap or Jet... both are fine.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:05 AM
My Feedback: (6)

CYBER BOND WORKS GREAT FOR ME, WHEN I CAN FIND IT. ZAP IS THE NEXT BEST THING. ALL THE OTHERS DON'T COME CLOSE. JMO
Old 09-26-2002, 01:18 PM
My Feedback: (36)

I use Balsa USA first or Zap
Old 09-26-2002, 01:52 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Cyberbond!

I liked Cyberbond so well that I am going to offer it with my kit!!!
Jeff Williams turned me onto Cyberbond. Now that I've tried it, I won't use anything else.
Kevin
Old 09-26-2002, 02:44 PM

I like Zapp.

Haven't tried Cyberbond, but now I'm going to. I just have to find some first.

I keep mine in the Fridge when not in use. That extends the shelf life considerably.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:23 PM
My Feedback: (45)

I've been using BSI for awhile... I like it pretty well.... I also use ZAP... The zap seems to be in between the thin and medium BSI...

I've heard good things about the Cyberbond... Where do you get it?
Old 09-26-2002, 03:48 PM

Hot Stuff works best for me
Old 09-26-2002, 04:24 PM

I've always preferred Balsa USA's CA. It hasn't failed yet!
Old 09-26-2002, 05:17 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Default GP CA

NavyFlyer,
I am using CA from Great Planes also, and can't complain at all. I just try to keep mine closed very well and have had no problems. Have you had any bonding problems with the GP CA ?
I also like and use sometimes ZAP.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:35 PM
My Feedback: (8)

The problem's I've had with GP CA is that the thin is more like medium.. the medium is extra thick and the thick is like goo.. I am not happy with it at all.. I haven't had any REAL bonding issues although, I used to buy the stuff the LHS had before it closed and I liked it, but I don't remember what it was.. I have been keeping some in the fridge and it does extend the life.. I'm just on the search for some new stuff..

Cyberbond sounds good.. I found this website.. http://store.yahoo.com/hobbyglue/cybhobadprod.html

Looks like I'll have to get some of this stuff..
Old 09-26-2002, 06:05 PM

Balsa USA (because its cheaper) or ZAP. My LHS stocks both.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:26 PM

I use cyberbond, in fact I became a dealer for them. I have never had a dissatisfied customer with Cyberbond. I have two planes in this years TOC that I sold the glue to the professional builder that built the plane. Even their epoxy is better, not sure what they do to it but it never gets brittle. If you want more information on Cyberbond glue email me at
[email protected] thanks Jeff Williams.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:30 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What kinda CA do you guys use?

Originally posted by NavyFlyer
Exactly what the title says.. I've been using GP CA from tower and it SUCKS.. it dries out quickly, etc.. the stuff just sucks.. What are you guys using??
I love the Balsa USA Gold, second place is Zap, third is Goldberg Jet (I suppose no longer available)
Old 09-26-2002, 06:54 PM
My Feedback: (506)

I mainly use the CA sold by Model Research Labs.

http://www.modelresearchlabs.com/

I usually get three bottles at a time. One on the bench, two in the freezer. Strong stuff.

I think I'll give Cyberbond a try. Their flexible CA is probably better than NHP's "Black Flash" stuff and hopefully won't go solid in the bottle as quickly.
Old 09-27-2002, 12:19 AM

I keep hearing about cyberbond but haven'tever seen anyplace where it can be aquired. They can't be very intrested in selling it.
Besides I use the brand balsa products sells, it is the cheapest I've found.and it works as good as any others at their high prices
There is one other that is cheaper[4.00 per 2 oz] but I haven't used any of it yet so cannot say as to its quality.
Old 09-27-2002, 12:59 AM

I use a CA from my local hobby shop. Thin and medium bottled by K & R International out of Diamond Bar, Calif. The bottle has no other names. This stuff has been awesome for me.

I keep a set of tips in a small bottle of Acetone in-between uses on my work bench. The tips come out totally clean. And when not in use, I store the sealed bottles in the frig.

Tom...
Old 09-27-2002, 01:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CA

I have used ZAP, Hot stuff, jet, Sig, Flash, bob smith, and some industrial (not packaged for the hobby industry) CA (I bet gallons of the stuff by now!) over the years and I have no real preference with the different brands - but I do have a big problem with some of the bottles, some of them suck even if the glue is good!

That being said, I buy mainly NHP "flash" 6 bottles at a time. I recently see that a Canadian hobby dealer (www.hobbywholesale.com) is selling Cyberbond thin,med or thick for $20 Canadian for three 2 oz bottles (I am paying $26 for 6 oz of flash) so I will try this cyberbond stuff.

I personally think all the CA hype is just that, hype! If Zap is so much better (costs a lot more than others, here in Canada anyhow) I have not seen the extra value. I have not had glue joints fail, and I use the stuff a lot. One thing I dont like about Zap is the non-replaceable tips. I like the Flash and Sig CA because the tips stay clean longer and also replacement tips are cheap.

I usually buy 6 to 9 bottles at a time and store it in my freezer. Have never had the stuff go bad on me, but once I open a bottle it isnt around for too long anyhow, so I just keep it on the shelf.

I am sure there are people that are brand specific, but to me if you can use the whole bottle without the bottle clogging up, and the price is right, I'll buy it.

Andrew Coholic
Old 09-29-2002, 10:53 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Default Preferred C.A.

A while back Balsa USA published an article concerning the quality of CA's.. It listed the tensile strengths, the pro's and cons of kickers, and proper usages of the adhesive. It was a very informative article. Im sure this information is still available. I switched to Balsa USA gold and have not looked back. The kicker in particular is without a doubt the best I have used as it does not pop corn as bad. I would say its a tad bit slower setting off. If I had a complaint it is the thin is a little thicker than say the Bob Smith ultra thin. But all in all its very good stuff and the price is right. Just an opinion
Old 09-30-2002, 09:22 AM

Wright-Flyr Enterprises Inc.
5200 Mango Ave., Cocoa, FL 32926
(321)431-5344
Send E-Mail to [email protected]
Old 10-11-2002, 12:30 AM

Default CA fumes

If anyone is having trouble with the various CA fumes from the solvents, hang a plant or two in the hobbyroom. The plants convert all the nasty hydrocarbons to carbon (their body), oxygen and water.

It really works!
Old 10-13-2002, 03:36 AM
My Feedback: (129)

ZAP is the king
Old 10-13-2002, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why?

TME,
Just a question, why exactly do you think ZAP is "the king"? I have tried ALL the CA's on the market and then some. I even use CA where many guys wont (firewalls, etc) without failure on dozens of airplanes over the past >15 years. I dotn seem to see much of a difference between brands really, other than some have brutal bottle design and lousy tips. ZAP bugs me because the tips are part of the bottle, unlike the others that have replacement tips.

I see the ads for the various glues that procliam THEIRS is the "best" and I still say that CA glue is pretty much CA glue if you stick with a major brand, buy it from a hobby shop that turns it over regularly so you are getting fresh stuff, store it in the fridge or freezer untill you are ready to use it, and dont go crazy with the kicker.

Andrew
Old 10-13-2002, 12:48 PM

1004 what you said
Old 10-14-2002, 02:35 AM
My Feedback: (129)

I too have used most of the different brands out there. I do alot of airplane building and have never had a bottle of ZAP set up on me, no matter where I buy it. I can't say that for alot of the other brands, as I have thrown away half used bottles. So, when someone asks which brand I like to use, I say ZAP is the best.
As for the built in aplicator tip, I just use a small piece of the ca tubing in the tip and replace it when needed. On the medium grade, I cut the end of the tip back so I can get a good shot out mostly for fillets. I only use epoxy where foam is in the picture. Most of my planes are glued with 100% CA. ZAP works the best for me.
So, thats my two cents worth.

TME