Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Ohio Model Edge 540 Giant Profile

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Ohio Model Edge 540 Giant Profile

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 02:52 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ohio Model Edge 540 Giant Profile

To sswagerty,
You should probably to a forum search on the Aeroworks 300L for some tips. Generally, I recommend you verify the incidence alignments on the plans, mine were off. Also depending on engine, beef up the center wing area with at least some spruce/basswood doublers on those four sticks that come through that area. Beef the tail up too with flying wires, carbon fiber, etc. A nice project.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:57 PM
jpmorgan
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GarySS
To sswagerty,
You should probably to a forum search on the Aeroworks 300L for some tips. Generally, I recommend you verify the incidence alignments on the plans, mine were off. Also depending on engine, beef up the center wing area with at least some spruce/basswood doublers on those four sticks that come through that area. Beef the tail up too with flying wires, carbon fiber, etc. A since project.
The OMP doesn't need a thing except glue!
I'm sure you can get the Extra in shape, but yes you do need to make some modifications.
Perry
Old 10-28-2002, 05:32 PM
Stargazer
My Feedback: (3)

How would you mount a Gasser that dosent have a beam mount to this giant? I have a ZDZ 40 looking for a home...... also would you guys recommend this as a first profile plane? I havent ever flown a profile but I like em big and after reading you guy's post's and going to some of your websites you guys are havin alot of fun and I want some!!
Old 10-28-2002, 06:33 PM
jpmorgan

Originally posted by ASAT
How would you mount a Gasser that dosent have a beam mount to this giant? I have a ZDZ 40 looking for a home...... also would you guys recommend this as a first profile plane? I havent ever flown a profile but I like em big and after reading you guy's post's and going to some of your websites you guys are havin alot of fun and I want some!!
Gasser hu? Well I'm sure if theres a will theres a way.
Maybe you can get a machinist to fix ya something up or you might get some aluminum parts from a Local Wal-Mart or hardware store.
Yes this Giant is a good first profile. Set it up with dual rates and always take off on low rates. Once you get familar with it then you can switch on the high rates and rip a hole in the air!
Perry
Old 10-28-2002, 07:45 PM
aftcg
My Feedback: (1)

I've seen a .40 size OHM 540 mounted with a traditional mount. The person modified the plane to have a flat fire-wall instead of the rails.
I don't remember who did it except his first name is Jess. It's on RCUniverse if you search for OHM 540 planes.
Good luck.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:47 PM
RightThrust
My Feedback: (4)

Originally posted by aftcg
I've seen a .40 size OHM 540 mounted with a traditional mount. The person modified the plane to have a flat fire-wall instead of the rails.
I don't remember who did it except his first name is Jess. It's on RCUniverse if you search for OHM 540 planes.
Good luck.
Aerosplat I believe.
-Kelly
Old 10-29-2002, 12:13 AM
aftcg

Default I ordered it tonight

I ordered the 80" OHM Edge 540 tonight! They say I should have it in a few days.
I post here how long it takes.

Thanks to JP for providing so much information about his - it really helped me decide.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:56 AM
RightThrust
My Feedback: (4)

Default Re: I ordered it tonight

Originally posted by aftcg
I ordered the 80" OHM Edge 540 tonight! They say I should have it in a few days.
I post here how long it takes.

Thanks to JP for providing so much information about his - it really helped me decide.
What motor do you plane on using. I'm going to run a BGX, it's almost framed up now.

-Kelly
Old 10-29-2002, 01:54 AM
aftcg

Default Re: Re: I ordered it tonight

Originally posted by RightThrust

What motor do you plane on using. I'm going to run a BGX, it's almost framed up now.

-Kelly
I'm going against the grain a little on this one because I have a Brison 3.2 that needs a home. Also, I love the Brison engine.
At first I thought I'd have to sell it and buy something lighter, but I continued to research. I found a post by the mglavin (GS moderator) who replied to a post in 3D forum. He gave a complete weight analysis that helped me much. The all-up weight for the Brison will be 4lb 6oz (including ignition, ignition battery, muffler, engine mount). The all-up weight for the Moki 2.1 is 3lb 15oz. That's a 7oz difference, but I'll be able to use a tank that is 6oz smaller to get the same fly time - so I'm within one ounce.
I've seen happy owner's with the Moki 2.1, so I should be happy with the Brison 3.2.
As for the BGX - I think it should be a real nice combination. I'm not sure how much the all-up weight is (I'm sure it will weigh less than my Brison 3.2), but 4.1 horsepower should pull it around with authority.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:21 PM
funfly33

Took me 4 days to get mine looks good
Old 10-29-2002, 07:25 PM
Stargazer

AftCG - could you describe the mounting procedure you're gonna use for that Brison? I can envision a bulkhead inserted thru the nose of the a/c and epoxied to the original beam mounts with some gusseting to the beams - would that be enough or am I on the wrong track? want to put a zdz 40 in mine. Any Pics??? that would be cool
Old 10-29-2002, 08:27 PM
AFSalmon

Default Brison 3.2

I'd be VERY careful about using a Brison 3.2 on this plane. As a profile it's much lighter than a typical 80 plane such as the Lanier Cap. I have a Brison 3.2 on my CAP and it is notorious for vibrating. Plus that engine would be way overkill for a 12 lb plane. I'm not saying not to try but make sure you beef up the plane somewhat to handle that level of power.

Mike
Old 10-29-2002, 08:29 PM
Stargazer

AF - what do you think about the ZDZ 40 - or should I just get a Moki and be done with it? - I fly at 4700 ft
Old 10-30-2002, 12:44 PM
AFSalmon

Default ZDZ 40

Personally I've nothing but great comments about ZDZ engines. They seem to real good performers and way above average power to weight. Right now if I had to pick another gasser to try I think the ZDZ40 would be the leading choice. You will still have to modify the front to add a firewall but that's not really that hard. Chop off the front, use a 3/8 ply firewall backed up with some balsa triangular fairings to blend into the fuselage, and maybe some fiberglass cloth for reinforcements. Use Epoxy as it absorbs vibration better than CA.

Mike
Old 10-30-2002, 12:57 PM
AFSalmon

Default ZDZ40

Oops, sorry about the missed words. Meant to say "heard" nothing but good things about ZDZ. Another good thing about the gassers is their ability to draw fuel. So the tank can be placed over the CG inside the wing. Big benefit there!

Mike
Old 10-30-2002, 01:40 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

Default GS Edge Profile

I am really thinking about getting one of these, but I have a couple of questions. 1) Would the OS 160 provide marginal power or plenty? 2) Has anyone done performance tests on the OS 160 with mouse' can muffler?

I have both, the 160 and a Moki 210, but the 210 is thirsty for my wallet. If I got to liking the big edge, I would be feeding the 210 all the time! I suppose the 210 wouldn't need to be full throttle all the time though. I would love to use the 160 w/can muffler if that's enough. Will you guys that do 3D and know the kind of power it requires, please let me know what you think?

Thanks,

John Wells
Old 10-30-2002, 02:55 PM
rcman-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default Big fun fly plane

Here's a picture of a large fun fly plane. It may provide some ideas on mounting a gas engine. The picture came from Model Aviation magazine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	33053_1019.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	17647  
Old 10-30-2002, 03:06 PM
jpmorgan

Default Re: GS Edge Profile

Originally posted by RCU
I am really thinking about getting one of these, but I have a couple of questions. 1) Would the OS 160 provide marginal power or plenty? 2) Has anyone done performance tests on the OS 160 with mouse' can muffler?

I have both, the 160 and a Moki 210, but the 210 is thirsty for my wallet. If I got to liking the big edge, I would be feeding the 210 all the time! I suppose the 210 wouldn't need to be full throttle all the time though. I would love to use the 160 w/can muffler if that's enough. Will you guys that do 3D and know the kind of power it requires, please let me know what you think?

Thanks,

John Wells
John,
You gotta mount that 2.10! I absolutly love mine. I used the BCM and the fit is perfect. The Giant Edge 540 will putt aroung the sky and you can watch it in a hover and see the engine 2 stroking!
I used 4 high torque servos in the tail and the ballance is right on the money, just a little aft but not too much to make it climb inverted. I ballanced my elevator halves but this made the CG too aft and the plane would climb inverted. I took the weight out as this is really not necessary with high torque servos. Futaba 9303's on rudder and Futaba 9201's on elevator halves.
Best regards,
Perry
Old 10-30-2002, 04:50 PM
Stargazer

RC Man - that's alot heftier fuse than the OMP edge has - do you guys think that would be a good mod for a zdz 40? that way the rear mounted carb could fit inside the wider fuse (still air) and there would be more room for the ign, batt, etc. also the firewall would have alot more area to adhere to. Maybe start out that wide at the front but taper the fuse to the stock width at mid wing or so??
Old 10-30-2002, 05:11 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

Default muffler

jpmorgan, what bcm muffler did you use? I currently have the 210 on a DP 330 with the pitts BCM muffler. Is that the one?

Thanks,

JW
Old 10-30-2002, 05:17 PM
jpmorgan

Default Re: muffler

Originally posted by RCU
jpmorgan, what bcm muffler did you use? I currently have the 210 on a DP 330 with the pitts BCM muffler. Is that the one?

Thanks,

JW

STD MUFFLER W/ADAPTERMOK2.1/MDS2.18
by BISSON MUFFLERS [BIS01183] •
Kind of pricey but it's worth it. from Horizon Hobby
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...at=EPM#Listing
Old 10-30-2002, 06:05 PM
AFSalmon

Default OS 160

The OS 160 even with the stock muffler is plenty strong enough although I am jealous of JP's MOKI 210 power! The OS has plenty of power for 3D, will hover all the way down to the ground with plenty of reserve to pull out. It does not yank the plane out like a rocket or the small 40 size profiles we are used to but still very reasonable and definately easy on fuel.

As far as a gasser, my first OMP Edge had the RCS180 with a rear mounted carb and I simply cut out the fus where the carb was. Wasn't any big deal at all. I think even with a ZDZ40 or similar, you could do the same thing. Just put a little thought into the structure ahead of time so that it is tailored to the particuliar engine.

Mike
Old 10-30-2002, 06:46 PM
Stargazer

AFS - how did it fly with the RCS 180? man if a os160 flys it well I'm thinking my ZDZ40 is just way overkill!!?
Old 10-30-2002, 09:49 PM
AFSalmon

Default rcs 180

The rcs 180 is as much power as the OS but weighs about 17 oz more so you do loose some vertical. It was however enough to hover and pull out although rather slow. That's a 30 cc engine by the way so the 40 cc gasser should be an awesome combo.
Mike
Old 10-31-2002, 05:19 PM
otisflies

Just curious....what do you guys do about the glow exhaust getting all over the serovs in the tail if anything. Thinking about building one of these with the OS 160.

About the ZDZ40...I have one in my DP extra at 15 pounds and it is as unlimited as you would want it. I am not usually one to say any engine is too much but I think the ZDZ would be toooo much power and kill the light weight factor that makes this plane fly well. Although secretly I'd still like to see one fly with it! Just not mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.