Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reinforcement of Fun 51 Suggestions >

Reinforcement of Fun 51 Suggestions

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Reinforcement of Fun 51 Suggestions

Old 10-12-2002, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reinforcement of Fun 51 Suggestions

I've done a search and read several posts about the Tower Hobbies Fun51. Several mention that the forward fusalage is weak and needs reinforcement. But I can find no posts of what anyone did to reinforce the area.

I'm actually surprised by the need for reinforcement due to the fact the entire forward fusalage is two pieced of 1/8 ply laminated together. Which then has a sheet of 3/32 balsa laminated on each side of the ply former.

What is the best way to reinforce the forward fusalage?

I've thought about replacing the 3/32 balsa sheeting on the forward fusalage with 1/16 ply sheeting, but this will add some weight.

I've also thought about adding a flat carbon fiber strip to both the top and the bottom of the fusalage at the front section.

Does anyone have a better idea which will not add a lot of weight?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:34 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I built a Tower Extra Special (Same as the Fun51) and reinforced the main LG area by laminating a (1/3 of a pie) shaped piece of better quality ply (can't remember the thickness.....maybe 1/8? to each SIDE of the fuse at the point where the LG goes. It wasn't extremely big, maybe a couple of inches at the most. The form followed the fuse bottom line and the thickness did not exceed the balsa sheeting. I scraped out the balsa top sheeting so the additional ply sat down on the stock ply sheeting. This did not leave any bump out area. I did not gain any weight doing this because I left off the kitís wing tip ply sheeting........it isn't needed anyway. The kit's ply is of the lite variety and can be ripped in a rough landing.

As for reinforcing the fuselage; I ran three spruce longerons down the interior of the fuse at various points. I think I just sandwiched two of them around that thicker balsa piece in the middle and the third one was on the bottom. They probably added some weight but the strength was worth it. I had several pancake type landings when my engine quit which spread out the main gear.......no damage.

Mine has a TT.46, stock muffler, Dave Brown foam wheels and weighs a few ounces over 4 pounds. It will hover using an 11.5 x 4 APC prop, but I am no expert yet at hovering.
Good luck
Old 10-12-2002, 10:30 PM

I built an Extra Special. I did two things.

1. If you look at the instructions for the landing gear mount, you sheet, then cut out an area for the gear. This leaves Balsa in fron of, and behind the gear. I cut out a larger area, (maybe 2x2) and put thin ply. It stuck out a bit more than the balsa, so I sanded it to blend. I have performed many "not too pretty" landings, and the gear is still solid.
2. I put a couple sticks in the open area where the canopy would be. This is an easy place to grab the plane to carry it, and the sheeting would not like it. I just braced it a bit, before I sheeted it. I carry it there, and have yet to hear anything crack.
It is my favorite plane. Easy to get in the air quickly. I can have FUN, and not worry about crashing a $1000 plane. It does everything I ask, and then some.

Les'
Old 10-14-2002, 01:45 AM

Here's a couple of GREAT threads over at the RC Flying Network.

http://www.********.net/forums/showt...p?threadid=665

http://www.********.net/forums/showt...p?threadid=787

In my opinion, the landing gear mod is very necessary.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:54 AM

One of the guys i fly with built one as designed. Ended up replacing the front of the fuse twice (?) He recomended i add an extra layer of ply to the front half. i used 1/16 ply. seems to be plenty enough to do the trick, but if i have it to do again i might go with 3/32.

Try the Dubro glass filled nylon landing gear. Those aluminum strips can be a pain.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the input Guys.

It's been a real help.