Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Here is your PBF launcher! >

Here is your PBF launcher!

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Here is your PBF launcher!

Old 10-15-2002, 01:17 AM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Here is your PBF launcher!

Posting these for DON.

I am a member and I have built and flown Dave McDonald's Pizza Box Flyer. I have also designed a cheap and easy item to let you launch your PBA if you can't find a helper at the field. I don't know much about computers and Dave told me to post this information and 3 photos about it so I will send this information in this letter and hope you can post it where ever it should be.
The launcher is made of 1/2" PVC plastic, ($3.41 worth).and the photos should be enough for plans. You will need two pieces of coat hanger to hold it in position. Drill one hole in each of the bottom rails about 4" back from the front anduse your coat hanger wire to hold this thing to the ground. You could also use a couple of bricks for this job too. If you need any further information I am Don Condon at [email protected]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	30598_167.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	19466  
Old 10-15-2002, 01:18 AM

It seems that most or all of the guys that Dave flys with used 25 to 40 two stroke engines. I use an OS 40 on mine and it works fine. Dave thought others might like to know this so here it is.

Name:	30599_167.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	19467  
Old 10-15-2002, 01:18 AM

last

Name:	30600_167.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	19468  
Old 10-15-2002, 03:21 AM
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to clear things up, Don is using an OS 40 4-Stroke on his PBF....which I though was unique enough that he ought to share it with everyone else.

And Don's PVC PBF launcher looks much more sophisticated than my wooden lawn chair and chunk of firewood!

Hopefully, we can get Don himself to join us here on RCU.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To launch my pizza box I use two pieces of 1/2 PVC pipe with a 6-inch spike inserted in the end. I also added a T with a short piece of pipe with foam insulation to keep the plane from sliding down. I have added a nose wheel on my PBF to keep it cleaner on landing and it will take off real good, but I like the way Dave launches his by just letting it go into a hover. I have a handle on the cg to hold on to it for launching.

Gene
Old 10-15-2002, 04:11 PM

I just grab mine by the motor mount blocks, gun the engine and give it a toss.. I have my TX on a strap with my rigth hand on the stick so I can control it.

thats what I gotta do tonight after I get my truck unloaded, get my PBF ready for the profile brotherhood flying this weekend.

I'm thinking of dropping a os .32sx-h on the nose cause I have one lying around and the .25 I have seems a bit weak for the fullsize radiogear I have. what do you all think, too heavy?
Old 10-15-2002, 07:49 PM

My PBF has got to be the easiest plane I have ever launched.
When it's idling I grab it by the left wing with my right hand and it just hangs comfortably waiting for throttle.
When I slowly turn up the throttle, all I have to do is gently guide it to a nose up attitude and let go.
Not recommended on the first flight, but it works great when it's trimmed properly.

Ken