Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

How do I hang on the prop?

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

How do I hang on the prop?

Old 07-24-2005, 11:21 PM
plessm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I hang on the prop?

Hi. I am 31 and have been flying since I was 11. I've had off years where I didn't fly at all, but seem to pick it up quick once I start again. I feel like I'm an intermediate to advanced flyer. I've got quickee racer, 90 size biplane, trainer, sailplane, float plane, and my profile plane. My profile is an ExtraSpecial 300 with an OS .46 SF. I'm getting back into flying this year. I picked up a Futaba 9CAF Super radio system for my first computer radio and I absolutely love it. I wish I'd gone computer several years ago. Anyway, I've got a decent handle on most of the manuevers except hanging off the prop, or torque rolls?

After reading on the forum, my profile may not be set up correctly. One big setup difference I see is in prop size. Looks like most use around 12x4 on their 40 size profile planes. I've been using 10x6 on my 46 SF for 12 years now. I'll pick one of the 12x4's up next time I go.

Are there any other tips I should know when trying to perfect this maneuver? Thanks a lot.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:25 AM
lomcevek1

Default RE: How do I hang on the prop?

Don't take this the wrong way but you might need a better airplane. The extra, at least for me, does not have the control response neccesary for easy hovering. If you balance it right and be very quick on your ocrrections you can do it.

1. Use the 12-4, 12.25-3.75, or the 11.5-4 APC props. There are a few other out there but you want the most diameter and lest pitch you can. That is to get more volume od less speen flowing over your tail.

2. An aft CG is also helpful. trim your airplane to fly level, then flip it inverted and you should have to give little or no push to keep it level. If it starts to climb then you are too nose heavy.

3. If you are feeling abitious you could try enlarging the flight controls to ive more response.

Now there are a few ways to enter a hover. the easiest for beginning is to fly level as low as you can then pull vertical and reduce your throttle to bleed off airspeed and then catch it, and balance with power as your airspeed goes to zero. If you have just enough power and you are vertical then you will be hovering.

Now to maintain it most likely you will have to hold some right aileron to keep it from torque rolling, and you have to CONSTANTLY make tiny corrections to keep the nose up. The airplane does not want to fly like this so you have to tell it what to do. Remeber multiple tiny corrections are beter than large corrections almost too late.

A better airplane will make all of this much easier.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:51 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Lom gives some good suggestions Plessm. Definately go with the smaller pitch prop and you will notice an immediate improvement. We always try to use the biggest diameter, lowest pitch prop we can find for the specific engine. This gives you more prop wash over teh control surfaces and less prop blade stalling when hovering.

Another suggestion for for your question "How do I hang off the prop" is to go buy a decent size prop....say 4-5 feet in diamter and mount it to your ceiling. Now grab onto both blades with both hands and lift your feet off the ground. WALLA! Now you are hanging off the prop!
Old 07-25-2005, 08:56 AM
Spacey

ORIGINAL: AFSalmon

Another suggestion for for your question "How do I hang off the prop" is to go buy a decent size prop....say 4-5 feet in diamter and mount it to your ceiling. Now grab onto both blades with both hands and lift your feet off the ground. WALLA! Now you are hanging off the prop!
That is by far the safest and easiest way to do it I thought as well. Please avoid hanging from spinning props at all times!! And do not hang said prop from a 6 meter high ceiling.

Disclaimer: Neither RCU or any of its members will accept any responsibility for actions taken due to information posted on its forums. Persons using said information in any way do so at their own risk solely.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:08 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

Something else that nobody yet mentioned is to pick up a good flight sim. Mike's company (OMP) sells a great one -- Aerofly, either the Pro or Deluxe version.

It could really speed up the learning process if you practice on the sim often. That's what I found, anyway.

Now, let's spin up the ceiling fan.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:32 PM
plessm

THanks for the tips everyone. I'm surprised to hear that my extraspecial 300 does not have big enough control surfaces, they seem huge to me! But after watching some videos on here last night, my plane won't do half the stuff these are doing. I saw one doing front flips in about a 3 foot diameter it looked like. I'm going to get a big prop next time I go out and see if that makes any difference. I can hold my plane in hover with the 10x6 prop for about 5 seconds more or less until I lose it, so I'm hoping I have better success with the big prop. Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:54 PM
fun_fly_3D

ORIGINAL: lomcevek1

Don't take this the wrong way but you might need a better airplane. The extra, at least for me, does not have the control response neccesary for easy hovering. If you balance it right and be very quick on your ocrrections you can do it.

I agree with him while the extra will hover with effort, it is a horrible one to learn on. I would suggest a twist which costs $99 ( this is the first funfly/3D plane i had ever flown in real life and another guy let me fly his twist (before which i had only flown on the simulator which really does help and with a trainer), and on the 2nd flight I was torque rolling it. just remember when the belly is towards you push the rudder stick towards down wing and add a little throttle till vrtical then back off) or a u-can-do .46 or .60. exellent hovering trainers.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:39 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How dare you come to the profile forum and recommend a Twist. [:'(]

ORIGINAL: fun_fly_3D

I would suggest a twist ...
Old 07-26-2005, 06:44 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I saw that too!!!

While I have been able to hover my 4*60 and my LT-40 (ask the guys at the field! It ain't purdy but an LT-40 (with dihedral removed can hover))
a good 3D plane makes all the difference...

I'm now flying the Accel/OMP Katana 40 size Arf profile...

hangs all day on a .46ax.. a Hoot to fly and very docile too!
Old 07-26-2005, 11:20 PM
wind junkie

Yea man. That's pretty bizarre.

I'll never forget this quote from Jeff Williams:

"Friends don't let friends fly twists."

ORIGINAL: depfife

How dare you come to the profile forum and recommend a Twist. [:'(]

ORIGINAL: fun_fly_3D

I would suggest a twist ...
Old 07-27-2005, 02:00 AM
Spacey

ORIGINAL: wind junkie

Yea man. That's pretty bizarre.

I'll never forget this quote from Jeff Williams:

"Friends don't let friends fly twists."
LMAO!! More wise words hasn't been quoted here in quite a while! Thanks for that wind junkie! That is going to come in very usefull in future outings to the field.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:55 AM
dbruening80

I had a twist, flew it for about a month, pulled all ther gear out of that turd and put in in my OMP Yak
Old 07-28-2005, 09:46 AM
lomcevek1

If you want some 3D suggestions in a profile forum then profile suggestions you shall have. I have never seen an airplane perform as well as a profile without at least a $3,000 price tag. Profile are light enough to 3D well and the fuse makes for a great knife edge and spinning manuevers.

For a good 3D trainer a few suggestions would be

1. OMP Edge

2. Burrito

3. SPA3DT (A little heavy but a good hover, harrier trainer as it's indestructable, but not good for much else)

for a little more advanced profile

1. OMP YAK

2. MOJO

3. Morris Sledge

Here are a few shot of the OMP edge (Blue) and the Burrito (Snowflaked one)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19483.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	302601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85116.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	302602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25211.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	302603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46928.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	302604  
Old 07-30-2005, 08:46 PM
fun_fly_3D

hey guys,

just trying to help. it was my mistake. i didn't realize this was a profile forum. i have the box checked where if someone posts something it comes up in my e-mail. that way i can find good forums that i didn't even look for. sorry for any hard feelings.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:00 PM
SBR_RV

lol, they wernt taking swings at you, they were just playing. no need to get upset.
you should take more notice of the smilys that are used. for example, this means having a frienly laugh:
Old 07-31-2005, 09:30 PM
fun_fly_3D

alright. i was having a bad day i usually don't get so mad about things like that i apologize! notice the edit i did.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:53 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem. We all have our moments. SBR_RV has it right - everything said was in fun. Hang around for a while, you will not find a more fun loving group than profile fliers.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:15 AM
yak_54
Banned

Hope you got the bigger prop,,,that 5 seconds that you can hold it now,will turn to 10, then 20,then,HOLY CRAP!, I've been hanging here forever.Practice with the wind blowing the plane away from you.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:16 PM
fun_fly_3D

ya i can imagine how fun-loving this group is! i am going to get a katana gs 70 with a saito 100 on the nose so then i can "legally" chat in these groups (and recommend that plane instead of a twist)
Old 08-05-2005, 07:09 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

I like to harrier way down low(like milimeters above the ground), then "goose" the throttle just enough to pull the nose up into a hover... but I usually end up higher than I want - like lomcevek's second picture above. Is there another (good) way to get really, really low? Or am I doing something wrong? No problem hovering, torque roll, etc - just way too high.

HEY!!! WHAT'S WRONG WITH A TWIST!?!?!?

( LOL! )
Old 08-06-2005, 02:38 AM
lomcevek1

To get that low it is easiest to strat that low. Fly level as low as you can with a low power setting. Keep feeding in up elevator as your airspeed bleeds off. You have to get a feel for it but a split second before your airplane stalls you have to add power. Now DON"T GOOSE IT just add enough power to rotate the nose vertical and catch the weight of the plane and not any more. The plane should just rotate in place in a hover.

Here is where practice will come into play. It takes a noticably more amount of power to hover than to harrier. If you fall out of your hover and go into a harrier you will need to reduce your power to keep from climbing. kick in a little rudder and opposite aileron and do a harrier turn back to you and try again.

You will also find that it is easier to hover low and close than high up. First you can see what your plane is doing and can make faster corrections. I am going to bold this as it is very important.

It is far better to make multiple small corrections than a few large corrections

small corrections will keep you from overcontrolling, and having to recover from falling out.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions let me know.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:40 AM
lomcevek1

Double post
Old 08-10-2005, 03:07 AM
yak_54
Banned

Take off downwind and and pull it vertical and go to idle at the same time.as the plane slows, add power until your at hovering power as the plane comes to a stop.wait as long as you can before adding power, but be ready for the plane to torque if you wait too long and have to blast full power to catch it.Try to make the transition smoothly, without gaining too much altitude.And hope your motor don't burp.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Thunderhead

ORIGINAL: lomcevek1
You will also find that it is easier to hover low and close than high up. First you can see what your plane is doing and can make faster corrections.
Lom has spoken. These words are So TRUE It can be a double edge sword. If you dont do it high enough, you will doink it in. If you do it too high, you could actually be climbing and you cannot see what the plane is doing.
Just do it low and you get not only to learn what its doing, but how to fix planes too.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:50 AM
SBR_RV

i think lomcevek1 has said it well, the same method i use.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.