Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

46 inch Goldberg Profile ARF

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

46 inch Goldberg Profile ARF

Old 09-26-2005, 10:30 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 46 inch Goldberg Profile ARF

HI: Anyone flying the 46 inch Goldberg profile ARF? Is it a good flying plane? thanks Capt,n
Old 09-28-2005, 01:19 PM
captinjohn

Default RE: 46 inch Goldberg Profile ARF

Come on Guys....you must have at least seen one fly!!![&:]
Old 09-28-2005, 04:45 PM
rightflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which one? IT could the the Extra 330 or the Edge.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:47 PM
captinjohn

You are right. The Extra 330 first. Also would like to learn about the edge. Thanks for the reply. Capt,n
Old 09-28-2005, 07:22 PM
rightflyer

Haven't flown mine yet. but there are several theads on them. Take a look at this RCU review!

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_guide/kitexpertreviews.cfm?kit_id=1968]Goldberg 330 Review[/link]

Old 10-06-2005, 09:51 PM
captinjohn

Just got my Extreme 330....can use any and all tips on putting her together. Thanks Capt,n
Old 10-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Thunderhead

Be interesting to hear what your AUW is when finished.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Ross Airforce

The all-up weight of the extreme 330 is critical. Mine weighed well over 5 lbs. and flew poorly at first with a good 46 and later with a .61. It snaps on tight loops and would not hover. I tried tip plates and even removed some color trim to reduce weight. I hope yours is light say 4lbs plus a little. I also suspect that the airfoil is poor resulting in premature tip stalls. I sold it to a junior who is not into 3d.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:43 PM
captinjohn

I am thinking about using a pull-pull system for rudder and elevator. That would elimainate the tube and the wire extensions. I will balance it by moving my abc .51 on mounting rails. If I can get rid of anything else....I will ....to make it lite. Maybe leave landing gear off and land in tall grass!!! Well...the project begins. ANY Ideas??? Thanks Capt,n UPDATE.... do not need the pull pull....it flys great now
Old 10-17-2005, 08:37 PM
captinjohn

I just got back from a short vacation. I am not going to do the pull-pull control system. Will try it like it is. Got it pretty much done. I hope it flys good. Capt,n
Old 10-18-2005, 12:10 PM
WhtBronco

Good luck. I have not flown or seen 1, but I have heard it's a nice sport plane and a pretty crappy 3D'er. Basically like my TH Fun 51. Nice little sport plane, but junk for 3D even though it's light.

I plan to get a Paul Swany Mojo soon to replace the Fun 51 which will be handed down to my 8 year old daughter.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:12 PM
WhtBronco

Good luck. I have not flown or seen 1, but I have heard it's a nice sport plane and a pretty crappy 3D'er. Basically like my TH Fun 51. Nice little sport plane, but junk for 3D even though it's light.

I plan to get a Paul Swany Mojo soon to replace the Fun 51 which will be handed down to my 8 year old daughter.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:25 PM
AeroDave

hmm. I had the 330 for a long time with a 61 2 stroke. It hovered and TR'd great. it did take a bit to get used to the short tail moment though. I found it took quite awhile to learn to harrier it well, but once I got it it was easy. I found it was great for stationary flips in all directions from and returning to a hover. Inverted flat spins were also very cool. I spent LOTS of time getting used to this plane and found it pretty goood for 3D. Maybe I just got a good one. 'just thought you'd like to know another side....
Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-18-2005, 12:37 PM
WhtBronco

Well that goes along with what I have heard, some good reports and some bad reports. Not sure just how much of the bad reports should be attributed to pilot skill either though.

My Fun 51 will hover and TR, it will barely harrier, flat spins are fantastic, but high alpha knife edge is impossible. The roll rate is outrageous though, it's basically a blur. Anyways it's a nice sport plane, but not an extreme plane.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:33 PM
AeroDave

Chris,
I do think it can be difficult in certain moves. For example, just like your fun 51, The 330 can seem twitchy in hover due to the short tail moment. Getting the Cg back helps, but a short coupled ship will usually not feel as locked in as something with a longer moment. It also matters how you get into the hover. When I was flying my 330, I would cruise by on a slow, level pass and ease the nose up into a kind of harrier, but kept rotating until I reached vertical. At the same time I would smoothly increase power so the plane was basically stable and not flopping around at the start of the hover. That made it a lot easier to hold. Once I got used to it, however, I could enter hover any way I wanted. It could be that during this process (which seems long ago) I was truly learning to hover. oh, yeah, one more thing.........I found it way easier to hover and TR this ship in narmal or low rates, not in 3D flight condition. It actually balanced quite well and would pretty much sit there, as long as I stayed ahead of it, but could be easily over-controlled if you got out of shape.

Dave
Old 10-18-2005, 10:19 PM
captinjohn

I was not looking for a 3-D plane. I want to have a plane that will knife edge, flatspin, snaproll and just be able to do many fun fly type flying manuvers. I may try 3-D but I do not think it will be best for that. MOJO is the one for that. I do want to try some slow knife edge passes!!! I hope it wil do it!!!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 12:16 PM
AeroDave

gosh yes! I think the key to slow KE is mixing out coupling so you can get a true rudder response, especially when using lots of input. For me, its usually possible to mix out most of the coupling, but at extreme throws, like needed for high apha KE, you still have to hold some aileron or elevator. I'm speaking of the330 here. I was able to easily do a slow,low, KE pass, add more rudder to go vertial and then back the other way in high alpha KE. Its a real stable plane once you get used to it. The one thing I couldn't get out of mine was a decent waterfall. It would always fall to one side or the other, no matter the control input. I think that was 'cause it has a bit higher wing loading than most 3D planes. Notice how I'm speaking of this plne in the past tense? I rn it out off fuel in a hover and busted the nose off. t was getting pretty ratty at that time anyway, so I sent it packin'.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:21 PM
captinjohn

AERODAVE: Thnaks for the good reply. How do you balance this plane. Is it measured from the leading edge in center of wing. How would 4 1/2 inches be to start? How about elevator throw...how much on that? Thanks Capt,n
Old 10-19-2005, 04:59 PM
AeroDave

Capt'n,
I honestly don't remember what the CG placement was. I had an OS 61 fx on it, and tower TS 65 servos. I ended up adding about an ounce to the tail, but it flew pretty well right out of the box. I always fly a new ship with a CG toward the rear of the rec range. Then try a harrier. If that's cool, with no wing rocking, then I roll inverted and check how much down I need. I like to have to use just a touch, because it helps the way I fly long, slow rolls. If all that's good, I leave it alone. If not, i try adding some taiil weight to get the harriers in line. then, test inverted again. So what I'm saying is i look for a Cg that's a good balance between precision and 3D, because I like both. I've found you don't need a radically rearward CG for 3D.

As far as elevator throw goes, I always set up 3 flight modes. One for precision/pattern, one for 3D (all the elevator throw I can get) and one for landing which is really tame. That's because I also fly giant IMAC planes, which often need a low rate landing setup. Its basically a glorified triple rate switch, controlling all the rates at the same time.
sorry about my failing memory, but I stuffed that plane over a year ago......
Dave
Old 10-19-2005, 05:33 PM
delman

I have one with a Saito 72 with an apc 13x6 prop balanced at the aft cg recommended and really like it - set it up like the rcuniverse review model. Have flown other ones with 46 and 50 2s on them and they flew well. put the 700ma battery behind the servos toward the trailing edge - no extra weight needed. I feel this model flys better with the 46-52 2s or 70-82 fs engines.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:52 PM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

I have flown one...there are better planes out there for 3D but it still holds its own. Those who say it cant 3D...well.... Cant 3D very well.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:05 PM
delman

The paperwork showed cg 4 3/4 to 5 3/4 from L.E. My throws are low rate - high rate
aileron 7/8 - 1 1/2

elev 1 1/2 - 2

rudder 2 - 3
Started with 50 percent expo on aileron and elevator.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:50 PM
captinjohn

I am about ready to cut the tube for the servo wires. I think to save weight and make it easy to install wires....I am going to cut the back side off tube. It should hold the wires in place when placed on fuse with provided metal straps. Guys do you think that will work OK? May fly this thing tomorrow!!!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:38 AM
AeroDave

Sure! I just let mine flap in the breeze. hundreds of flights, no problems.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:20 PM
captinjohn

I flew my Extreme 330 for the first time today. It took off and climbed like a home sick angle. I found out right away the elevator was way to sensitive. I will need some advise on this one for sure. I have a 18 0Z engine(with muffler) on her. I can only move the engine about 3/8-1/2 inch forward in the rails. I did notice I had a little down on both ailerons. Would that make it fly touchy? It seems like if I slow down at all, the tail starts to drop...putting it into a steep climb. I sure got to get that cured. Had a heck of a time landing it. I wonder if I put a ASP .61 or a Supertiger .60 on it...would it balance better/maybe fly good. What do you think? Please Advise. Thanks Capt,n UPDATE.....read on....got her flying real good now

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.