Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

3.5 lb plane

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 01:21 AM
wright3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5 lb plane

I know someone here can help me out! I am brand new to glow flying but have lots of experience with pattern and 3D small electric. My friends at the flying field decided I would enjoy cleaning up all the goo after a flying session. They were right! I've really enjoyed flying the Twist powered by a K&B 40 (4011 BB ring). Great sport flying set up but the plane's just a little too heavy for 3D with this engine. It won't pull out of a hover vertically. I've been using an APC 11.5 x4 to get the most thrust from the engine after having tried several pitch sizes in the 10" range. The K&B is terrific but not up to the job of pulling a 6 lb plane up from a hover. I want a good plane with 3D capabilities for this engine. I think a 3.5 to 4 (4.5 max) pound plane will give me the performance I'm after. I prefer full fuselages but will go the profile route if that's best. Time forces me to go the ARF route until I retire. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Randy
Old 10-13-2005, 08:03 AM
cougar347

Default RE: 3.5 lb plane

Randy,

Since you don't have the time to build anything right now, buy one of the OMP 47" ARF profiles, either the Edge or the Yak. Put a Saito 72 on there with a 13 X 4W APC prop and fly the snot out of it. You can run it on 15% fuel and get pretty good economy at the same time. I'm not sure about the ARF's, but my kit builds came in at 4 lbs 4 oz, and I believe you will find the ARF's in the same range, maybe slightly heavier. You'll find these planes to be excellent 3D learning machines.

Vince
Old 10-13-2005, 05:26 PM
RJConnet

Default RE: 3.5 lb plane

You might try the Accel GS40 profile. Mine comes in at 3.75 pounds with a TT GP42, Hitec 225BB servos, and a 4.8V. AAA NiMH battery. Your K&B is one of the lighter 40 sized engines and should pull it very well with the above set-up. I know most of the real hot-rocks do not recommend the 225 servos because of the delicate gears, I have had no problems with mine. The GP42 spins the APC 12.25-3.75 at 11,000 RPM on the ground and vertical is not a problem at the 3.75 Lbs. weight. At this light weight it will do some things that the .46, .50 2s, and even the .72 and .82 4s can only dream about with their heavy standard servos and battery packs. Everyone that flies it comes away with a big grin. .......RJ