Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Profile (Morris) needs right thrust, mounting engine on LHS ?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Profile (Morris) needs right thrust, mounting engine on LHS ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 03:38 PM
3D2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Profile (Morris) needs right thrust, mounting engine on LHS ?

I just got my Morris Knife Profile ARF and I notice the engines on most of the profiles I saw is on the right hand side of the fuse.

However, I recently built a Radical rc Edge electric profile, the instruction calls for mounting the engine on the LHS of the fuse with the motor shaft off center to the LHS, in order to provide the right thrust.

Should I mount the engine on the LHS of the Morris, any opinion ?

KC.
Old 01-18-2002, 04:42 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

On the 4 profiles I've built, I always mount the engine on the right side as if you were sitting in the pilots seat. I add a little right thrust to counteract the thrust from the engine... just use a washer under the front two motor mount bolts.
Old 01-19-2002, 06:36 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

One problem with mounting on the left is your muffler will now be sticking up instead of down. After running, any excess oil that normally would have ran out the muffler will now run back into the engine. It may cause the plug to foul with oil and make it hard to start and run rough till it clears out.
You'll still need some right thrust, moving the thrustline to the left of the fuse won't be enough to make that much difference.
Also the weight of the engine is now working against you counteracting torque while upright but working for you while inverted. I Haven't really thought that one out yet as far as good or bad.
Later,,, basmntdweller