Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Copperhead Aviation Stiffy question

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Copperhead Aviation Stiffy question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:23 AM
VinceL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copperhead Aviation Stiffy question

I'm posting here since I know the Copperhead gang is having spam problems with their email. I hope to get a quick reply that everyone can benefit from. I contacted Copperhead a while back in regard to my Extra Stiffy having a delamination around the leading edge of the wing. The skin material has lost its grip with the underlying foam. They assured me that this was of little consequence to the flight characteristics and advised that I could shrink the skin with a "cool iron". The also said that they would replace the plane if I wanted. I haven't flown it yet and also haven't done any shrinking of the skin yet. I wanted to ask them if they could define"cool iron". I really don't want to damage the plane with too hot of a iron. I also have learned that some of the graphics aren't as color fast as I might have imagined and wondered if the iron might tend to smear the graphics? Copperhead seams to be a real stand up operation from my experience and what I have read, keep up the good work!
Old 02-10-2006, 11:46 AM
novabill

Default RE: Copperhead Aviation Stiffy question

Vince,

Start with the iron at about 180 degrees and up the heat as needed. Keep the iron moving. I might be off on the temp a little as my iron doesn't have degrees, but 1-6. I started at 2, but ended up at 4 the last time I encountered a problem such as your's. I also like to use a sock on the iron to slow the heat transfer.

I hope this helps. Now, let's get it ironed out (no punn intended) and in the air.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:08 PM
VinceL

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Hope to get some decent temps and winds soon to give this thing a try.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:11 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

so we can iron the covering??

Mine is very loose too.....

oh and just a heads up....there was no slot for the vertical stab... easy to cut, but thought I would pass it along.....
Old 02-10-2006, 02:14 PM
novabill

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

so we can iron the covering??

Mine is very loose too.....

oh and just a heads up....there was no slot for the vertical stab... easy to cut, but thought I would pass it along.....
Oops,

That's the first we have heard of that[X(] I apoligize for that and am glad it didn't pose a problem for you.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:40 PM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

Vince you get your stiffy going then?
Old 02-15-2006, 02:14 PM
VinceL

I did fly it, but haven't attempted to shrink the skin. My flight was successful. I had thought the wind was down to a minimum but it was still sufficient to toss it around pretty good. This is my first electric so I don't know what to expect. The airplane never seemed happy in the air. It seemed to never trim out quite right. I hope it gets better in calm winds. We'll see, the jurys still out on this one as far as I'm concerned.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:48 AM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

Any small plane will get blown around in the wind a good bit. The stiffy will be better then a flat plate foamy but its still affected.

You have your balance an everything right? What eqpt did you end up using?
Old 02-16-2006, 09:10 AM
VinceL

I got the hacker combo for equipment. The ballance is per the instructions. I imagine the trim issues all centered around the breeze. As I said, this is my first electric and first aiplane in this weight class. I'm used to .60-.90 size profiles and big gassers, all have significantly more weight to deal with the wind. I'll just take a wait and see attitude with this one. I can't really say anthing extremely positive or negative. I just don't have enough time with the airplane and haven't given it the opportunity to perform in ideal conditions.