Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

The ULTIMATE FUNFLY MOTOR

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

The ULTIMATE FUNFLY MOTOR

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 04:13 AM
JetJocky
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger is better

One day you will learn. You gotta pay to play with the big boys. One day bender might just fly a 40% and learn what its all about. (LOL) .Don't sweat the small stuff. I do agree however as I also went through a couple OS engines this year!

Glenn
Old 12-13-2002, 04:16 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The ULTIMATE FUNFLY MOTOR

Big, small its all good! I fly everything from 1/2A to 33% and have as much fun with them all...

Andrew
Old 12-13-2002, 04:16 AM
TERMAGATOR
My Feedback: (2)

I would think that some of those spins would throw the heat tiles off<GRIN>
I have had a few spiners in the past and they are infact the profile that set the hook in me. They do some incredible stuff. The last one I own had a TT36. One of my previous spin'rs had an SF46 on it and I thought it was too much.
I'll have me another one someday. I was hopeing the profile god would send one my way....G
Old 12-13-2002, 04:25 AM
vertigo
My Feedback: (1)

Default bearing failure from extended hovering

I too have been experiencing premature bearing failure since I've started long term hovering and praticing torque rolling flight after flight. The rear bearing fails after about four gallons fuel. It appears like the rear bearing runs dry from extended hovering but heli engines are mounted with the drive end up so I don't know if that contibutes to the problem or not.

I run mostly TT pro 46 with the apc 12.25x3.75, and as PLANEBENDER suggested this large prop may be the cause. Hovering around 1/2 throttle at maybe 8000 rpm for extended periods subjects the bearings to a pounding.

I've been flying 25 years and never had bearing problems untill I started hovering and finally torque rolling after much pratice. Maybe a smaller prop would cure the problem but I like the big apc for hovering and TR.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:30 AM
JetJocky

Default overkill

Time will tell, but I think his engine will be a winner. Is is bearly off idle at hover and does not seem to get hot. Bender does torque roll for pretty much the whole tank at times. He can torture an engine and plane like nobone could imagine.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:31 AM
PLANEBENDER
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A FORTH NUT 4 EXTRA NUT

Hey dude talk nice to your kid and just maybe he'll teach you how to torque roll (LOL) I guess us Cali. boys just all the $$$ For motors.If we get some desent weather (not too hot) I'll call you for some flying this weekend. I think it's 15x4 time! Igot the downline so slow now that diablotin won't come down at all. Hey by the way I saw Gene in The store tonight, Ask him about the torque rolling blimp HA,HA. Call me when you get this bunch of crud........ Flexin but not bendin
Old 12-13-2002, 05:05 PM
tknobby

Default replacement bearings

Hey, if all you guys are wearing out is bearings, how about using some ceramic bearings from Boca Bearing in FLA? I have a set in my old MVVS 40, haven't checked the rpm's but it sounds like it's turning another 500. These bearings are really smooooth and last much longer than the originals. I'm very pleased with mine.

Tom...
Old 12-13-2002, 05:25 PM
ajcoholic

Even the better quality phenolic cage bearings (that are made to run hotter and longer) should do the trick. A lot more than the regular bearings but not insane like the ceramics. But if $$ isnt any object like the dude says... try em' out!

AJC
Old 12-13-2002, 08:52 PM
vertigo

Tom and AJC,
Thank for the tip on the better qaulty bearings. I should try them.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:58 PM
PLANEBENDER

I started using those ceramic bocas in YS120's that we were racing using 65+% nitro and turning over 13000 rpm and they worked great! and we also picked up about 500rpm. However this year we switched to a smaller plane using a YS91FZ and we had 3 bearings break the balls and cause total engine destruction so I'm a little leary of those right now, But thanks for the tip. I will be sending this Jett 60 back to Dubb to look over after 2 more gallons of fuel. And who knows? Also I'm ordering a Webra 50 today for this diablotin super and I will install the Jett in my new Flip3D. Does anyone know if the exaust is the same as the FX46? and also the mounting holes? Lenth and height are not an issue. Wake up Glenn! BENDER
Old 12-14-2002, 12:03 AM
JetJocky

Default RC Anonymous

Make sure you register at RC Anonymous - You've got it bad! You have a new plane every week. I sure would like your unlimited budget! HAHA ! By the way, did you save me the flip 3D? I expect it to be assembled so we can fly tomorrow in your indoor hanger. Some guys in Cali just have it all!!!! I word from the wise, do as say, not what I do.
I am just Glad Bender is a friend so I can use all his cool toys!

Glenn
Old 12-14-2002, 03:39 AM
3Dreaming

Default Diablotin Super

Bender, I have one of the Diablotin Super's with a HP.40 @ 3.75lbs. It flies great, but I think the Webra.50 will be to much for it. A webra.32 would work good. Keep it light and it will be a dream to fly. In over 25 years of RC it is the most fun of any airplane I've flown. Tom
Old 12-14-2002, 03:33 PM
da king
My Feedback: (5)

No wonder you guys are burning up 46fx's. I tried the 12.25 x 3.75 and hated it. No power. I went to a 12x4 and it got better but still wouldnt climb in flat spin. I am bouncing between 11.5x4 and 11x5 wood right now. Yes i hover and torkroll a lot. Just did a tail tap the other day. The motor is very happy with these props. The higher i get the motor in the power band the better it torks too. How heavy are the planes that are burning up the bearings?? When your in a hover all the wieght is on the rear bearing. Somthing to think about. If your flying strait the only load on the rear bearing is the thrust the motor can take. If your in a hover that plus the wieght of the plane witch is probly double the wieght.
Ok thats enough thinking out load.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:40 PM
BRUTUS122
My Feedback: (14)

What is exactly happening that causes bearings to "smoke". I run a 12.25 X 3.75 APC on my OS 46 FX, and was very impressed with it this past season. But I don't want to ruin it. I've only been flying for 4 years, and want to understand this potential problem.
Also: Is your Tx impound in front of the flight line?
Old 12-14-2002, 05:47 PM
ajcoholic

Originally posted by da king
No wonder you guys are burning up 46fx's. I tried the 12.25 x 3.75 and hated it. No power. I went to a 12x4 and it got better but still wouldnt climb in flat spin. I am bouncing between 11.5x4 and 11x5 wood right now. Yes i hover and torkroll a lot. Just did a tail tap the other day. The motor is very happy with these props. The higher i get the motor in the power band the better it torks too. How heavy are the planes that are burning up the bearings?? When your in a hover all the wieght is on the rear bearing. Somthing to think about. If your flying strait the only load on the rear bearing is the thrust the motor can take. If your in a hover that plus the wieght of the plane witch is probly double the wieght.
Ok thats enough thinking out load.
That makes no sense... when the plane is in a hover, it is counter balancing the weight of the plane ONLY. therefore the rear bearing takes the thrust load of only that weight. Same as a heli, in a stationary hover, the weight of the aircraft is the same as the thrust of the prop/rotor. if it was more, then it would go UP... And to think a bearing would fail due to a 4 or 5 pound thrust? Thats crazy. I can fly at full bore all day and not burn out bearings, and at full power the rear bearing takes more load than at half in a hover... Actually, I have engines that have outlived many airframes and still the original bearings. Perhaps you are running then too lean, and/or not enough oil in the fuel? I wouldnt panic guys, there is ONE fellow that is reportedly burning bearings out on a 46 fx, what about the other 1000's that are flying without problems? Just my $0.02...

AJC
Old 12-14-2002, 05:54 PM
Pinhead159
My Feedback: (33)

i do nothing but hover, i fly the thunder tiger 46 and have had it for about 2 years now. never burnt any in my planes, i go thru the planes faster than the motors
Chris
Old 12-14-2002, 08:01 PM
da king
My Feedback: (5)

I dont know....I have never hurt bearings in motors before. Knock on wood. The too lean and not enough oil maks cents. Now granted i only have about 8 gallons on this motor and it was new this past season, but its still kicking. And is on its third plane.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:41 PM
PLANEBENDER

TOM YOU DA MAN! Tom I'm glad you dig your diabot super, It really is the king! And you were asking about the 32SX, The answer is yes, It flys great with a ultra thurst and a 11X3 or a 10x4 however remember you will only have a limited amount of propwash due to small dia. prop, So it's not going to fly as slow during hairrer rolls and not as manegible in a hover also very hard to Torque roll as you dont have enough torque to counter rotate that big wing. Best luck and great flying to ya! Bearings,Bearings,Bearings, Well I guess us dumb calif. boys are the only ones using up motors doing extrem and pointless things with 5 - 6.5 lb planes. I wish I had the correct explantion because it's not that we don't use enough oil (wildcat 15-18oil) And it ALWAYS smokes so it aint to lean! Doy guys know why heilcopters smoke so bad when in use? Very rich to oil the bearings. I have always used the same theory and it helps however the more oil the less power! Food for thought..... I just picked up a new FX46 yesterday to do a test with. WE will see... Nice weather Glenn Planebender out.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:33 AM
CrAzYfLyEr-RCU

Most heli's that smoke alot are burning cool power 30% fuel...this fuel has a reported 22% oil content...hence the smoke.....i run wildcat 30% helimix....18% oil....smokes no more than a properly tuned plank engine....just being a smarty-pants.....sorry
Old 12-16-2002, 06:00 AM
reset

I've got 5 or 6 gallons thru my 46tt with a 12.25X3.75 on a fourstar! I get 12K with the stock muffler(baffle removed) using 15% cool power. It will hover at half throttle, and pulls away just fine. I can't see it going thru brearings at 12K.
Maybe you dusted yours.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:31 AM
ajcoholic

Speaking of dust, that is a very very good point! I know guys who have worn out engines (and helicopters) by hovering/flying over really dirty/sandy ground where the engine can ingest a lot of crap the prop throws up, if low enough to the ground. MAybe thats some of the problem?

AJC
Old 12-17-2002, 01:40 AM
vertigo

Yep, I think reset may have solved the problem of early bearing failure I've had. It was very dry and dusty here this summer, we had a two month drought with no rain.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:18 AM
SKYPYRO

I am just wondering out loud if anyone has ever tried using a heli engine in a plane. They seem like they would be PERFECT for funflies, as they run on 30% easily. They are also supposed to be mounted vertically and hover an aircraft. ------DANDANTHEPLANEMAN